Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has 25,000 miles on it and we are going to reuse the LS6 block. My engine builder says that you do not want to bore these things out very much if at all. He said we should just hone it to fit the pistons and do a forged bottom end.

I have read on here of people putting sleeves in the LS6 block but I have not read of anyone doing as stated above. Is this standard procedure when reusing the LS6 block?? Were going to do a 400 cube and I was wanting somewhere in the high 400's as far as power is concerned. He says it would be tricky to hit 500/500 without doing a 427. I said no problem, lets just have a 100 shot on board for when I want to hit the straight strip! I got a deal on some AFR 225 72cc heads, so I am pretty much building around those. Opinions on the hone to fit pistons procedure with the LS6 block would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
21,386 Posts
The most you can get from a stock bore LS6 is a 383. That is stock bore and a 4" crank. To get 400 cubes oe more you need to resleeve the LS6 or get an LS2 block(4" bore) and throw in a 4" crank. This will give you 408 c.i.

The aftermarket pistons for LS1/6 come in stock size or .005' over for a hone to fit.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Well, technically Eagle makes a 4.100" crank, so you might wind up with a 390 or something, but that's getting a little undersquare for my tastes.

·
21,386 Posts
ovaltobowtie said:
Interesting comment. 383 max cubes huh. I will have to do some more research.
I don't build engines for a living so I don't know what all the possibilities are, but I do read these forums and I see what the "popular" engine combinations are. Lot's of 383s on this board and a few 408s since the introduction of the LS2. If you want bigger then the general consensus is to go with a C5R 427 or a bored and sleeved engine where a 427 and higher cubes comes in to play.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ls2-----ls6

We talked about the LS2 block and he said something about the knock sensors being in different locations and that was a problem....Is it???

Also, does everything bolt up the same on the LS2. Accessories, engine mounts etc..??

Thanks.

·
Registered
372 Posts
ovaltobowtie said:
We talked about the LS2 block and he said something about the knock sensors being in different locations and that was a problem....Is it???

Also, does everything bolt up the same on the LS2. Accessories, engine mounts etc..??

Thanks.
The knock sensors are in a different location, but as far as I know, you just have to rewire part of the existing wiring harness to make the LS2 block work in an LS1 car. The cam sensor also needs to be rewired, as it's on the front of the motor in the LS2, versus rear on the LS1. I'm not 100% sure about all of this though.

·
21,386 Posts
FRCTom has done this to his car. I would PM him for the details. Some of the engine builders sell the conversion harnesses needed to do the swap.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Hone it and put a 4" stoke crank in the car will give you a 383. That's what I have. You can get high 400's pretty easy with it. If you do a LS2 block with a 4" crank it's going to be a 402 if you leave the block stock. It's not a major problem to put the LS2 block in the Z06 as stated above.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Go with a Ls2 motor and be done with it...no honing, sleeving, or stroking (Not that any of these are bad)...just the most simple route to make power right now.

·
Registered
971 Posts
ovaltobowtie said:
My car has 25,000 miles on it and we are going to reuse the LS6 block. My engine builder says that you do not want to bore these things out very much if at all. He said we should just hone it to fit the pistons and do a forged bottom end.

I have read on here of people putting sleeves in the LS6 block but I have not read of anyone doing as stated above. Is this standard procedure when reusing the LS6 block?? Were going to do a 400 cube and I was wanting somewhere in the high 400's as far as power is concerned. He says it would be tricky to hit 500/500 without doing a 427. I said no problem, lets just have a 100 shot on board for when I want to hit the straight strip! I got a deal on some AFR 225 72cc heads, so I am pretty much building around those. Opinions on the hone to fit pistons procedure with the LS6 block would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Talk to Steve, at Race Engineering on LS1Tech.com. There new wet sleeve Darton is fine and can current go to 441. Soon 457. The Cylinder liners are superior to C5R. Cartek has been putting out quite a few of these. Just call Dave/Julio at Cartek. 100-150 shot is fine. 9.7-9.9 1/4

P.S. Make sure that you use Cometic Gaskets specifically made for the Darton, otherwise is will be a pile o parts.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
THRLSKR said:
Go with a Ls2 motor and be done with it...no honing, sleeving, or stroking (Not that any of these are bad)...just the most simple route to make power right now.
You may have to hone the LS2 also to set the clearance's for the new pistons.

D.J.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
OneQuickCoupe said:
You may have to hone the LS2 also to set the clearance's for the new pistons.

D.J.

You will...You have to hone the block if you change the pistons. :yeadog:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts