Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have some numbers for torsional and bending rigidity properties between C5 family... (coupe, convertible, FRC)?

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
AdrenalineJunky said:
Does anyone have some numbers for torsional and bending rigidity properties between C5 family... (coupe, convertible, FRC)?
From an article on the 2001 Z06, it states that "the fixed roof and lack of the big hole in the back for the coupes hatch make the hardtop 12% stiffer in torsion than a coupe with its roof in place.And for the rocket scientists out there,Torsional frequency is 20hz for the convertible,Coupe with the roof panel out is 20.5, and jumps up to 22hz with the roof on. The Z06 is a stout 24hz."

·
Registered
155 Posts
Baron, which article is that? If those numbers are in there, there are probably a few other things I'd like to check out too.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Baron said:
And for the rocket scientists out there,...
:lol:

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to think that's funny! :cheers:

·
Registered
155 Posts
SRV said:
:lol:

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to think that's funny! :cheers:

Well....I did recently work for the Space Vehicles directorate of the Air Force Research Lab... I'm not a rocket scientist tho, just a wannabe.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
TTT
Anyone?
I even tried to find an answer ... no luck ... I'd suggest contacting the dana plant - they make them so the rating will certainly be higher! :pp:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
From recollection the Aluminum frame C6 Z06 ALONE has a regidity of around 21.5 Hz. It is very close to the steel frame due to hydroforming, extra gussetts, stiffer tunnel close-out panel and very stiff and welded spring/shock/suspension attatchment boxes.

The key is the roof panel. With it attatched the Aluminum frame is about 23.8 Hz....which is comparable to the steel frame but much lighter.

Since the final harmonics are close between the steel and Aluminum frame some convertible nuts originally thought they could dissconnect the top panel and mod into a Targa or convertible wiithout much trouble. This is NOT the case because without the top the Aluminum frame looses too much and needs quite a bit of additional reinforcement stiffness and added weight.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Thank you. I always suspected that the aluminum frame was not quite as rigid as the steel, despite the increased thickness of the aluminum frame and (as you pointed out) the top panel and other reinforcement components. It's still very close though. And light-weight of course.

However, I am a little surprised that a C6Z targa conversion would have a significant impact on rigidity. It doesn't seen to have a large affect in the C5Z from what I have heard. Now, chopping off the entire roof in either car, yeah, that would make a bigger difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts