Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy's 02 Z got stuck in fourth gear yesterday. Only brut force would free it. Now it works fine. I did a search and it looks like the shift forks are to blame. Has anyone been through this that could give us some insight on the diagnosis and repair?
Thanks. :ity:

·
21,386 Posts
A friend of mine had it happen. It's has to do with 4th gear synchro (I think). Anyway the fix is to take the tranny out and have the broken synchros replaced and have the aluminum shift fork replaced with a steel one. This is somewhat common problem, especially for the guys that drag race.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jub. Looks like its off to the dealer. Only problem is getting the tech to be alble to duplicate the problem so the extended warranty will cover it.

·
21,386 Posts
wheelman said:
Thanks Jub. Looks like its off to the dealer. Only problem is getting the tech to be alble to duplicate the problem so the extended warranty will cover it.
It seemed that problem occured on my friends Z when he got on it hard. After a while, it did it all the time. Eventually, you won't have to convince the dealer.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Been there done that. Tell them next time you will leave stuck and tow it in and give them the tow bill.
Plenty of threads on this issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts