Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to admit I'm a little upset right now. After work yesterday the wife and I went out to dinner. As we were leaving I got the dreaded "Pull Key - Wait 10 seconds" message on the DIC. I pulled the key - waited. Restarted the car. "Service Column Lock". Moved the car - it stalled. I had to have it towed to the dealer.

The reason I'm upset is I had the recall work performed to prevent this from happening. Never had a problem before. Now my car is sitting at the dealer awaiting service. Again! To make the situation worse, I go there this morning to officially check the car in (service was closed when we dropped the car off) and get welcomed by a rude, somewhat uncooperative service clerk.

Now I've heard other people's stories of dealer treatment but I've never experienced it first-hand. I'm not the elitist snob type by any stretch, but I expect to be treated a bit differently than your average Cobalt customer. On top of the fact that I had to return for the same service, I was greeted by rudness and ingorance. After showing him the original service ticket and describing what the problem was, he asked if they could move the car! That didn't exactly boost my level of confidence in them. I'm wondering now if they even performed the service the first time. :flaming:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
The column lock recall doesn't fix the problem, it merely cuts off fuel delivery if the column lock happens while the car is in motion. I installed the bypass soon after defeating the cags.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The installation of the CLB is truly a 30 minute excercise that brings you more piece of mind than you can imagine. When you plug the adaptor into the ligher socket and hear the whir of the lock for the last time you feel like a 10 ton weight has been lifted from your shoulder. I for one was very anxious every time I turned off my car. It really did take away from the enjoyment of driving the car with the threat of the lock not responding the next time. Now it is not even a thought.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sounds like you guys are saying that the recall work doesn't fix the problem. Right? So I should invest in the by-pass once I get the car back. If the recall doesn't fix the problem,
1) What are they going to do to make the car driveable?
2) Why issue the recall in the first place?

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
oh come on .. you are an eletist snob.. LOL

take it to mark pelurie at joe holland and let him fix it.. he knows vettes..

pull the fuse.. in the passenger floorboard.. number 25 26 and 29 .. wait a few minutes..
then replace them.. start the car.. it should get you there.. i can help you put the bypass in.. i did mine.. now that i know how.. i can do one in about ten minutes..

call me..
my number is on the scca forum

later..

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
bobby778 said:
Please explain in detail how you do this. Thx. :guiness:
do what.. the install of the bypass.. ? or the fuses ?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wvphoto said:
oh come on .. you are an eletist snob.. LOL

take it to mark pelurie at joe holland and let him fix it.. he knows vettes..

pull the fuse.. in the passenger floorboard.. number 25 26 and 29 .. wait a few minutes..
then replace them.. start the car.. it should get you there.. i can help you put the bypass in.. i did mine.. now that i know how.. i can do one in about ten minutes..

call me..
my number is on the scca forum

later..
:ity: Thanks, Mike. I wondered how long it would take you to chime in. LOL

I would take it to Mark if it weren't sitting at Hurricane right now. I took it there because they did it the first time. I will take it to him from now on. I've got his card.

Where can I get the by-pass? Thanks for offering to help. I'll probably take you up on that. Should I bring cold ones? :cheers:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Holy cow batman please tell me where I can purchase one of these column lock bypass kits?? and fast!!! I surely dont want to have to worry about this situation

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah, how can I tell if I have the bypass or not and how much is it? Also, with the fuses, what does that do? Does it unlock the column for you to drive and for how long? Until it happens again?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I had the CLB issue, had the "GM patch" (PCM reflash) done. The issue returns occasionally. So I ordered the bypass kit for $49.95. It'll be waiting at my house when I return from CA.
If you want to know where I got the CLB kit for 49.95 PM me and I'll let ya know as they are not a forum vendor.

Jim

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
i figure one of the supporting vendors sell them..
i got mine at a .. corvette parts place in houston....
can't do a link.. dont know if they are a vendor.. pm me..

the install .. you remove the trunk pop button.. and the little temp sensor next to the key hole on the column..
remove the screws on the cover panel "where your knees are under the steering wheel"
then up under there are a lot of wires.. you look for a little 4 wire cluster.. i think they are orange.. black .. purple.. white..
pull that out.. put a cig lighter power cord to it.. " comes with the kit" this makes the lock.. "think" the key is in the ignigiion.. you will hear it unlock.. then you plug a little module into the harness.. "comes with the kit" and voile'
done

put it back together..

the codes may throw "pull key.. " etc..
that is when you pull those three fuses i explained earlier.. it will clear those errors..

no worries after that..

the kit was $ 59 i think

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
ok .. its 49 $ now..

just google the words

column lock bypass kit..

there it is.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The way I see it "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." The exact same thing happened to me with my last vette. I never had a problem with the column lock, but decided to take it in when I got the recall notice. I took it in, and not a week later it locked on me and I had to have it towed. I got the recall notice on my new vette, but will not take it in. I've never had a problem and don't think there will be.

P.S. This seems to be happening ALOT more frequently. I've heard more and more of these posts where guys take their cars in for this supposed fix and then it ends up to be the problem.

My advice is JUST LEAVE IT ALONE.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A tip I learned from one of the members here when the "Service Column Lock" come on. Turn the key to the off position, without pulling the key out. Turn the wheel to the right, forcibly up against the column lock, then turn the key to the ACC position. The column lock should release so that you can drive.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Or the other option which is free is to have the "Vette Whisperer" FRC Tom show you how to break column lock ! Hehehehe...or cut that damn pin off......

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Kaya said:
Or the other option which is free is to have the "Vette Whisperer" FRC Tom show you how to break column lock ! Hehehehe...or cut that damn pin off......
Now Kaya, Tom would never do that :lol:

Jack

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mike - Thanks for the little hint. I found the place you spoke of.

I have a question though. When this happened, I was able to turn the wheel. The problem I had was that the car stalled when I started to move. Someone mentioned earlier that the recall fix prevented the column from locking, but would cut the fuel supply so that the car would stall. My question is - if I just keep a fuse puller handy and pull the 25, 26 and 29 fuses would that work? I mean - if I install the CLB kit and still get the "Pull Key..." message and have to pull the fuses anyway, what's the difference?

The thing that's really scary to me is I have tracked and will continue to track my car. I really don't need this to happen then. There has got to be a true solution to this problem. Not a band aid! :mah:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts