Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help guys,
The side screens in the fenders do NOT want to stay in place :flaming: I've tried more tape, permatex, clear silicone, and even duct tape. I give up, I might have to take them out completely and cut and reshape them to fit like opening better, I guess. Any suggestions :-? :z:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,430 Posts
I superglued mine in place, and that seemed to work for a few months. In the end, I just ripped the stupid things out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,379 Posts
Go to your local Home Depot and pick up some No More Nails double sided tape. Thats what I use and have had no problems. Good luck. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn, these are aggressive suggestions :D Thanks, I know now that I'm not the only one who's having problems getting them to stay put :yeadog:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
I used "Gorilla glue" and ran a bungee cord from screen to the mirror to have some pressure on the screen to fender as it dries. 18,000 miles- still holding strong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:lol: Thats bold but I guess it worked. These things were a mistake :NoNo: I'm really beginning to hate them now :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,600 Posts
Yeah they are a PITA to get them to stay. I -thought- I them fixed with the 3M body molding dual sided adhesive... WRONG!!! That fix was good for about 3 mos. my passenger side one fell out about a two weeks ago... I am assuming the stupid thing is in there somewhere. When it cools down outside, I'll rip the wheel-well liner out and retrieve it. I too will probably just go w/o. I like the way they look but don't want to resort to the extreme mounting methods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,333 Posts
Gorilla Glue and bungee cord sounds like the way to go. That's not too extreme, is it?

Charlie
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,289 Posts
Yeah pain in the ass so far. They look great, but I already have had to replace the one side, and now after Carlisle I will have to replace the drivers side. Man is someone walking around poking at these? I will try the heavy duty tape thing. After that if they fall out again screw em.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The worse part is the side of the screen that sticks to the outer fender edge is sticking like glue (yes I did and proud of it) but the inner edge is out in no mans land and won't stick to anything :mah: :flaming:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,600 Posts
Madvetter said:
The worse part is the side of the screen that sticks to the outer fender edge is sticking like glue (yes I did and proud of it) but the inner edge is out in no mans land and won't stick to anything :mah: :flaming:

DITTO!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,522 Posts
It is much easier to work on if you remove the inner wheel well.

Then be sure to let it set up good (Won't hurt to add small drops of epoxy as well.) Then when you re-install the inner wheel well, use the edge of the inner wheel well to secure the screen against the opening.

Works well for me. :jammin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
I always wanted them but I decided from this thread not to get them. Thanks for saving me the trouble guys. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,046 Posts
bigbadbevo said:
Yeah they are a PITA to get them to stay. I -thought- I them fixed with the 3M body molding dual sided adhesive... WRONG!!! That fix was good for about 3 mos. my passenger side one fell out about a two weeks ago... I am assuming the stupid thing is in there somewhere. When it cools down outside, I'll rip the wheel-well liner out and retrieve it. I too will probably just go w/o. I like the way they look but don't want to resort to the extreme mounting methods.
I did mine with the 3M body molding dual side adhesive and it has lasted over 2.5 years and going strong. I think the key is to do basically the entire outline of the screen so the contract area is quite large. The tiny little tabs supplied on most screens will never do the job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,600 Posts
Backlash said:
I did mine with the 3M body molding dual side adhesive and it has lasted over 2.5 years and going strong. I think the key is to do basically the entire outline of the screen so the contract area is quite large. The tiny little tabs supplied on most screens will never do the job.

I definitely agree with what you are saying b/c it's the inner edge (closest to the body of the car as mentioned above), the one w/ the 1-1.5" tab to which the dual sided adhesive attaches that comes off all the time causing the screen to drop. Because it's a plastic block that is screwed onto the screen, I am not sure how to extend it... the outer edge is held in place by three smaller strips and those hold like a mother.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top