Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some recs on an upgraded road race diff.

My car is running a LPE twin turbo 427 & it looks like the stock diff ring & pinion is balking under the load.

Thanks for any help.

-JB

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
<<<< DTE. I would be very cautious using a TT427 on the road course. I can tell you if I had one, I wouldn't bring on the road course, you can get into trouble real quick.

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
MikeyB,

SweetSavanah is an accomplished road racer from my old neck of the woods. Is an HPDE instructor as well, the boy can handle just about anything with wheels. I am sure he knows exactly what he's got under the hood, and he can certainly drive it...

Mark

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
What kind of "balking"? You might consider external cooling for it no matter which brand you buy, if you haven't played with it already. While you are running crazy HP and TQ numbers, most your WOT activity should be in the higher gears, so actual torque loading on the ring and pinion is far less than drag or autoX requirements, but the heat issue would get far worse.

Seems to us that impact is busting stuff more than HP. Once we reduced clutch grab, we stopped breaking everything.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
mdickie said:
MikeyB,

SweetSavanah is an accomplished road racer from my old neck of the woods. Is an HPDE instructor as well, the boy can handle just about anything with wheels. I am sure he knows exactly what he's got under the hood, and he can certainly drive it...

Mark
Then he must be good! It takes a lot of talent, and a lot of balls to take a car like that on the road course. I have plenty of both, and still wouldn't do it. He's out of my league :p

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Tracked cars should have the Tranny and Diff blueprinted or coolers installed, preferably both.

In your case with the high HP I would suggest strengthening also. Especially the output shafts and the internals as well.

DTE or Rockland Standard would be a good place to start, I would consider T1 coolers or better yet LG Motorsports, Doug Rippie or Mallett coolers.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I wouldn't rule out the SDPC/Mallett/Getrag rear. The case is stronger than an 02 case (more strengthening ribs) and Getrag engineering designed it for abuse, or so I'm told.

If I bust this one, I'll dissect it and compare to a DTE rear.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help, guys. My own research leads me to one of the DTE units which can be found at DTE or one of their distributors, including LGM.

I do have a DRM diff cooler already installed, but, unwisely, I didn't have it turned on when the whine started at Watkins Glen. I figured that low forties and occasional sleet/snow showers would help keep the heat down. I was probably wrong.

LPE dynoe'd the car at 665 RWHP & 730 ft lbs RWTQ. I'm having to do some serious right foot re-education. I'm not even close to flatfooting it through the 'esses' at WGI and I probably never will be. All the corners I used to take in third, I now navigate in fourth. The car's going to need a wing/splitter to exploit the power it makes.

Mark - thanks for the testimonial; hope to see you at the track this year.

MikeyB - you can rest assured that I'll be very careful.

-JB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts