Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading to Summit Point for Seat Time next Thurs 3/31. I'm having related issues with turn 3 (the left hander before the uphill turn 4) and turn 10 (the fast right before the front straight).

Both turns are fast and I approach them both in 4th gear. Both seem to require 3rd gear at track out to get some speed into the next sequence - leaving it in 4th results in slower lap times.

However, both turns are fast enough that even a good heel-toe can unsettle the car because revs end up HIGH. I don't recall where the revs land at turn in, but the motor must be somewhere around 4500-5000 RPM when I complete the downshift.

Do I just deal with this and get used to the scary apexes that can result at speed (Corvettes seem to rotate too easily, so there's no trail braking going on for me)? Or do any of you more experienced drivers out there have suggestions?

Also, my Z will be lower by a 1/2 to 3/4" and I'll have '04 shocks by the time I make it back to SP. Hoping that this helps the above problem.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
If my memory serves my right, 4th gear is right for 3, but you can use either 3rd or 4th going into the last turn.

I use 4th in both, but I am going to experiment with downshifting to 3rd this coming race. I was losing ground out of that turn to those using 3rd.

BTW: My car and crew will be arriving that day, early hopefully. I expect to show up before 5 PM. MY brother are planning on testing on Friday prior to the SCCA National race that weekend.

Stop by and say hello.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I like to brake hard for a short time and downshift into third before turning into turn 3, and then I get on the gas heavy as I exit the corner. Same thing for turn 10. I come up the hill and under the bridge, brake heavy for a short time, downshift into third, and back on the throttle heavy after exiting on to the straight. I have done these corners in fourth, but I perfer to sacrafice some speed as I enter these corners in order to pull through strong in third.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Bob said:
I like to brake hard for a short time and downshift into third before turning into turn 3, and then I get on the gas heavy as I exit the corner. Same thing for turn 10. I come up the hill and under the bridge, brake heavy for a short time, downshift into third, and back on the throttle heavy after exiting on to the straight. I have done these corners in fourth, but I perfer to sacrafice some speed as I enter these corners in order to pull through strong in third.
Exactly!! Steve Row was following me before turn 10, I braked hard just before the apex and downshifted to third, Steve said he stayed in fourth. I would pull four car lengths on him. third is the gear. :thumb:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
David -
4th for turn 3 leaves much to be desired regarding acceleration up to turn 4 - is it possible that since you're using slicks you're able to carry enough speed that 4th becomes more acceptable for you? Also, next Thursday is Seat Time which usually ends around 4:30. If you can get there early enough, I'd love it if you could hope in my car for a few laps for some commentary. I'll look for you, but I'm driving a stock looking EB Z06 - I'm 6'4", brown hair with glasses.

Mike - Bobby's going to work on my car TODAY. I'll let you know how the mods go.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
My best was an unofficial 1:36...but I'm old and slow. :D

·
Registered
891 Posts
MSiska said:
My best was an unofficial 1:36...but I'm old and slow. :D
Hey Mike. I definitely think this formula works best in these corners. You can still enter the corners with good speed and really launch on the exit. I find that I mostly use third and fourth at Summit. Do you ever use second gear for turn one or the turn at the end of the chute (turn 5 I think)?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
what are you guy's lap times at SP?
I ran 1:23.688 there in my first race. I expect to improve on that next weekend.

4th for turn 3 leaves much to be desired regarding acceleration up to turn 4 - is it possible that since you're using slicks you're able to carry enough speed that 4th becomes more acceptable for you?
Don't hold me to that quote; my memory is good, but not perfect. I will tell everyone more after this next race.

Also, next Thursday is Seat Time which usually ends around 4:30. If you can get there early enough, I'd love it if you could hope in my car for a few laps for some commentary. I'll look for you, but I'm driving a stock looking EB Z06 - I'm 6'4", brown hair with glasses.
I will try to get there earlier than planned. I expect to leave the Youngstown area about noon, which should put me at Summit Point around 4-4:30. Maybe I can move the departure time up a bit.

Me driving a Corvette on a race track? You will have to twist my arm! :p

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
A shift takes time and upsets car.
I always found when in doubt don't shift and it will force you to carry more speed through and your times will be quicker.
You should be running 1:23-26's there even in fairly stock form if you are cooking around.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts