Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....which would you rather have, since the prices as stated would be about the same. Im in the market for a vette, but im just not sure which car provides a better platform to start from. Im kinda scared to mod the Z06 since it is already race derived. Dont you think the C5 motor would be "safer" since it runs a lower compression ratio? Either way i was hoping for a fast/reliable - to the extent of a daily driver, but im just not sure which way i should be swinging. Any input? Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well im not sure why you say that, maybe its because it due to power/experience. If so, its not the power im afraid of, its the reliability of the car. Just FYI, my current car is a BPU 3000gt VR-4. Car has 384 hp, and... i havent ever lost to a Ford. =)

·
Registered
117 Posts
my car is driven every day with no issues. Get a ZO6 and you will not be looking for fords. I chase down motorcycles now cause I am tired of hearing excuses from Mustangs. I say the ZO6 cause if ur into mashing you will appreciate the coupe and the suspension set up over the regular C5 anyday. I have raced blown C5's and beaten them, I am not impressed but this is mostly on the street.

·
Registered
878 Posts
ok-i have a slightly modded 01, and i'm very happy with it,drive it everywhere,very reliable and mpg is 17-25 and i use a qt of oil every 1600-2000mi depending how hard i drive it
its great, why s/c unless you want to spend a lot of money and have to be quicker than almost everything out there...slightly modded you will be quicker than many..
a pic of mine
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74991&page=1&pp=15
enjoy your ride :usa:

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Ben, get a Z06! It's a totally different car than a C5 from a driving, handling and pleasure experience (unless you just have to have a vert). When you hit the stomp switch, it goes....and you will probably want to do some more modding to get to 450 bhp anyway. You should test drive each one...you won't even hesitate in choosing the Z06! :thumb: Good luck. ;)

Bob :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Frankly, for the difference in money if you stick a blower on a c5 your gonna kick every stock z06 out there. Now if that is what you are looking for my suggestion is go with a c5 and spend the difference on FI. I have driven both cars z06 and c5 as well as c6 and unless you are racing a road course there is not a ton of difference, although the z06 crowd would not like to hear that. It really depends on what you expect to have as a finished product.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a stock Z06 that I use on the track. I also have a friend who has a stock C5 convertible wtih a Vortech. His car is much faster in the acceleration, however, mine has better brakes and suspension for stopping and making left and right turns. He even admits that he like the ride on the Z much better than his, as it is firmer but more complient. His stock C5 wallows compared to the Z. But he is a top down kind a guy and is happy with what he has. He does not do any track duty. If you want a winning autocrosser / track car the Z is the only choice. If you want to win every stop light race then go with the blow.
ciao....... :zboobie:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
benjaminlox said:
Well im not sure why you say that, maybe its because it due to power/experience. If so, its not the power im afraid of, its the reliability of the car. Just FYI, my current car is a BPU 3000gt VR-4. Car has 384 hp, and... i havent ever lost to a Ford. =)
Then you havent raced any Fords from around here.

I would get the Z06. The differences between the standard C5 and Z06 are more than just power.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Something tells me he will get the z06.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
C5 Z06 with a S/C Mag. is the way to go for street racing ........red light to red light. Lots of fun..............

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
A Z06 is in a League of its own. Buy the Z06 :z: :z:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have owned a '99 Coupe modified slightly with bolt on's to 350 rwhp (shy of any blower output), but when I bought the Z I was amazed at the handling aspects as well as the raw power stock.

This is up for controversy, but I hear that the LS6 can handle 600 hp - not certain if the LS1 can handle that?

Overall I enjoy my stock Z over my modified '99 coupe hands down.

I like the suggestion of blown Z - there's something about having a more exclusive (if you can call it that) Corvette, too!

Good Luck in your decision!

:usa:

D-Day

1 - 20 of 27 Posts