Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have roadcoursed and street driven both, how does a 340hp Comptech s/c'ed S2000 compare to a Z06?

I have recently sold my RX-7 racecar and bowed out of door-to-door racing for a few years until time permits again. But I do plan to get my track fix out of a yet-to-be purchased street car at club lapping days, auto-x etc. It will also be a weekend street car.

I don't care about 1/4 mi times and launch techniques, just laptimes on roadcourse, auto-x and fun factor for backroads blasts.

I've always liked the n/a S2000 for its purity as a sportscar -- great shifter, light weight, racecar edge to its handling (i.e. lack of understeer), and the open-air factor. Performance bang for buck it beats a Boxster but I never thought it would approach the Z06. But now the power issue may be getting addressed as a few years of evidence suggests the engines are quite durable with the 6-7psi superchargers and at 340hp on 2850lbs come close to Z06 power-to-weight.

Still, by the numbers, the torque, handling and comfort of the Z06 would still get my $$. But subjectively, I feel somewhat more removed from the experience in the Z06 than the S2000.

I'd be looking at a '02/'03 of either. I recognize $$-wise I'll still be ~$5k+ ahead even after s/c'ing the S2000. Both cars would get some aftermarket suspension treatment. And yes both cars are pretty cheap inside (compared to the Boxster, say) so that's a wash.

I have not come across a s/c S2000 to drive but am looking for impressions/experiences vs. the Z06. I'll post on an S2000 board as well.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I had an S2000 for 2 years. It's a great little sports car, but it WAY out of it's depth when running against the Z06. From what I understand, the Comptech SC doesn't give it much of a torque increase, which is what you would definately need against the Z. The car is still really peaky, even with the SC. I nearly bought a SC for my S2000 but was talked out of it. I would find it extremely difficult to believe that a supercharged S2000 would ever beat a stock Z.

That being said, the S2000 is a very fun car to drive. I borrowed a friends a few weeks back to try and relive the old times. It's got great handling and the engine sounds great, but in performance terms it's no way near as fast as the Z.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I owned a comptech supercharged S2000, and sold it for my Z06. I feel slightly qualified on this one. :D

Pros of the S2000:

1. Convertible.

2. Very fun to drive. The shifter is straight from heaven. So is the seating position, the wheel, etc.

3. It has a jekyl and hyde personality. Nice little roadster under 6k, maniacal sounding blender from 6-9k.

4. Good gearing. Dont think that because the peak tq numbers suck (and yes, they do), the car wont get out of its own way. It comes with 4.10s stock, and shifting is a pleasure.....plus, it sustains a decent amount of torque over the entire power band. No, it wont put you back in your seat like a viper or a Z06 in any gear at any speed, but people saying you have to cane it to stay ahead of traffic are full of it.

5. The blower will exacerbate the on/off nature of the car. Still little noticeable change under 6k, with a much more violent crossover, and great power between 6 and 9k. The more supporting mods/tuning you do, the better the powerband will get, but its a centrifugal blower on a very small displacement engine, so limitations are inherent.

6. My S2k even with the blower on it was DEAD reliable. Just changed the oil and away I went.

Cons:

1. Its not a Z06. It doesnt have the mind numbing fury of the Z06. Its smaller, and will feel more chuckable than a Z, but the Z will muster far higher levels of grip, and be faster under any conditions.

2. And no, even with the blower, a stock Z06 would murder a blown S2k. Not even a contest. A blown s2k is typically a 105-110 trapping car, if driven hard. I barely broke 105 shifting nice and easy.

3. The clutch will not last with the blower if you abuse it in a straight line....I never had slip in the higher gears, but I never dumped it at 6k from a dig either. The diff wont like that kind of stuff either.

4. Its small. The Z06 has more carrying capacity, and seats two people in more comfort.

5. It can get tiring. Its got a stiff suspension, a very rigid body, and a drop top. Plus, youre spinning the thing at 4500rpms in sixth cruising on the freeway. It can either be unnoticable, or a bloody nuisance, depending upon your tolerance level.

Personally, I loved the car, but I wanted more speed out of it, and I was going to really have to start tearing the car apart to get faster than it was at the moment, so I decided to get a car that was fast out of the box to begin with.

Good luck with your decision!

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
I have played :D with a few of the S/C S2000 in the mountains and there are nice cars, but they could not keep up after I got around them :lol:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Another car that doesn't compare to a Z. :D

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
S2000 is a great car :thumb: It was out of my choices

1)corvette
2) Z06
3)Mustang GT
4)Cobra
5)350Z (yea I was looking hard for ideas :lol: )
6)S2000

Yes the S2000 was the least powerful, but Convertible and great engineering for $32k is a great deal, Plus it seems to hold value better then most of my choices, but I wasnt looking to sale and I was looking for power and a muscle car, and Im sure I wanted more power in the future and the S2000 is already maxed, you can add forced induction but It wont last you long, so that would make a SC S2000 unreliable in my experiences with Hondas, Not saying they are not reliable but when raced they are undurable (is the word Im looking for)...

actually I had a little encounter with a Turbo S2000, engine had to be worked but none the less he was loud has a turbo car can be, I didnt hear the turbo at first so I played from 40mph on 3rd and he still couldnt get away, still a hell of a toy though :thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry to drag up this old thread, but I'm in the same boat (getting ready to move on from my (second) S2000). Pakisho, if you're still around how has the Z06 move been for you overall?

I owned a comptech supercharged S2000, and sold it for my Z06. I feel slightly qualified on this one. :D

Pros of the S2000:

1. Convertible.

2. Very fun to drive. The shifter is straight from heaven. So is the seating position, the wheel, etc.

3. It has a jekyl and hyde personality. Nice little roadster under 6k, maniacal sounding blender from 6-9k.

4. Good gearing. Dont think that because the peak tq numbers suck (and yes, they do), the car wont get out of its own way. It comes with 4.10s stock, and shifting is a pleasure.....plus, it sustains a decent amount of torque over the entire power band. No, it wont put you back in your seat like a viper or a Z06 in any gear at any speed, but people saying you have to cane it to stay ahead of traffic are full of it.

5. The blower will exacerbate the on/off nature of the car. Still little noticeable change under 6k, with a much more violent crossover, and great power between 6 and 9k. The more supporting mods/tuning you do, the better the powerband will get, but its a centrifugal blower on a very small displacement engine, so limitations are inherent.

6. My S2k even with the blower on it was DEAD reliable. Just changed the oil and away I went.

Cons:

1. Its not a Z06. It doesnt have the mind numbing fury of the Z06. Its smaller, and will feel more chuckable than a Z, but the Z will muster far higher levels of grip, and be faster under any conditions.

2. And no, even with the blower, a stock Z06 would murder a blown S2k. Not even a contest. A blown s2k is typically a 105-110 trapping car, if driven hard. I barely broke 105 shifting nice and easy.

3. The clutch will not last with the blower if you abuse it in a straight line....I never had slip in the higher gears, but I never dumped it at 6k from a dig either. The diff wont like that kind of stuff either.

4. Its small. The Z06 has more carrying capacity, and seats two people in more comfort.

5. It can get tiring. Its got a stiff suspension, a very rigid body, and a drop top. Plus, youre spinning the thing at 4500rpms in sixth cruising on the freeway. It can either be unnoticable, or a bloody nuisance, depending upon your tolerance level.

Personally, I loved the car, but I wanted more speed out of it, and I was going to really have to start tearing the car apart to get faster than it was at the moment, so I decided to get a car that was fast out of the box to begin with.

Good luck with your decision!

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
He hasn't posted here since 2008 so you may not get an answer.

Z06phile has both a S2000 (non-supercharged) and a Z06, maybe he'll give you some insight.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used to have a 2004 N/A S2000 that was mildly gutted and setup for hardcore track days..
I ran R comps and full race pads etc.. APR wing and a few other goodies.
Around Portland International Raceway I could keep up or pass any car on the track, and the guys I tracked with were advanced group skill drivers/some instructors.
996/997 Porsche GT3's (that were also very setup) were my normal running group speed..
PIR is more suited to cars with higher horsepower (which my s2000 was not one of those) but, because I had so much grip (mechanical and aero) I could hold my speed better it seemed through most corners
I'm not trying to play armchair racer I'm just saying don't downplay what a well equipped/setup S2000 can do around a road course.
They can be devastatingly quick little cars :sneaky:
Hands down though in a straight line my C6 Z06 would blow the doors off my s2000 :eek:wnd:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used to have a 2004 N/A S2000 that was mildly gutted and setup for hardcore track days..
I ran R comps and full race pads etc.. APR wing and a few other goodies.
Around Portland International Raceway I could keep up or pass any car on the track, and the guys I tracked with were advanced group skill drivers/some instructors.
996/997 Porsche GT3's (that were also very setup) were my normal running group speed..
PIR is more suited to cars with higher horsepower (which my s2000 was not one of those) but, because I had so much grip (mechanical and aero) I could hold my speed better it seemed through most corners
I'm not trying to play armchair racer I'm just saying don't downplay what a well equipped/setup S2000 can do around a road course.
They can be devastatingly quick little cars :sneaky:
Hands down though in a straight line my C6 Z06 would blow the doors off my s2000 :eek:wnd:
So, overall, you feel the Z06 was a good upgrade for you?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I do love my Z06, it's got more power than I know what to do with and it's something I've wanted for awhile.
It is a step forward in the natural progression of a sports car enthusiast IMO. More power/more exotic :)
If I didn't total the S2000 would I still have it?? Yes. It brought a smile to my face every time I drove it and I loved the convertible aspect for nice days.
It was dead reliable and I beat the living piss outta it every chance I had.

I am glad I had so much experience in the s2000 to prepare me for the Z06 though, much like the Z the S2000 is a really snappy car at the limit and you have to be on your toes at all times when driving spirited.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had an S2000 and after a while I wanted more power out of it so I S/C'ed it. I was quick and fun, for short trips. I enjoyed it a while the wrecked it. I thought about getting another S2000 but went with a C5 Z06. I sold the S/C to another S2000 and then we ran them. I was surprised the could not keep up at all, put 3+ cars on him. So I was very and still am happy with my Z06, it alot more comfortable, lots more power, i like it better than the S2000 in everyway, only thing I miss is the convertible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I do love my Z06, it's got more power than I know what to do with and it's something I've wanted for awhile.
It is a step forward in the natural progression of a sports car enthusiast IMO. More power/more exotic :)
If I didn't total the S2000 would I still have it?? Yes. It brought a smile to my face every time I drove it and I loved the convertible aspect for nice days.
It was dead reliable and I beat the living piss outta it every chance I had.

I am glad I had so much experience in the s2000 to prepare me for the Z06 though, much like the Z the S2000 is a really snappy car at the limit and you have to be on your toes at all times when driving spirited.
Thanks, this is helpful information. I've spun my S2000s (once each), so I'm familiar with the snappiness you mentioned. I did test drive a C6 Z06 and I treated it with extreme caution; I only really nailed it once in second after the sales guy from the dealership kept egging me on.

Suffice to say I was very impressed with the acceleration. It had the Potenzas on it instead of the original Goodyears. I understand that this is a good thing because the GYs might have broken loose doing that.

I have to say, it was surprisingly easy to drive at low speed and those hideous, cheap looking seats are surprisingly comfortable.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Sorry to drag up this old thread, but I'm in the same boat (getting ready to move on from my (second) S2000). Pakisho, if you're still around how has the Z06 move been for you overall?
Wow, blast from the past! I got a notification via email re: this thread.

JLH, I still have a Z06, but not the one that I sold the S2000 for. The modifications are listed in my signature and as you can see its quite far removed from a stock Z06.

I would never, ever trade my car for an S2k. Ever. I dont think I would trade a stock Z06 for an S2000 either, supercharged or otherwise. Having said that, I do miss my S2000 from time to time and have occasionally toyed with the idea of getting another one, but Im too occupied with other stuff to pay attention to one toy, never mind two.

Definitely make the move. Its a definite step up in every sense. Sure the shifter isnt as amazing and the top doesnt come off, but theres really no comparing the two, even with a blower on the S2k.

Good luck!
oz

1 - 16 of 16 Posts