Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, how much the handling would be affected by adding a supercharger. What is the best solution for this?

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
BAMBAM86 said:
I was wondering, how much the handling would be affected by adding a supercharger. What is the best solution for this?
I'm not real sure what you are asking here???

Handling is handling and power is power. The handling is only changed by increases in power in relation to the drivers ability.
What I'm saying is that a blower does not effect your cars handling ability other than having to not push the go pedal quite as far in during corners and turns.

One driver can push his car through the turns on a road race course the same way whether he has 400 hp or 1000hp. He would just have to practice and get to know his rpm vs foot pedal feel on the twisties. Hell, you have to do that even with a 300 hp car.

Maybe I've somehow missed your question or its purpose :(

Can you be more specific??

Mike

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
If you road race your car to the "nth" degree, then you _might_ be able to tell a slight bit of adverse effect caused by adding weight to the front of the vehicle. But the blower isn't _that_ heavy, IMHO. For anyone but a hardcore road racer, I can't imagine there being any tangible difference. :)

If you're driving on the street you just have to be careful to not apply too much throttle in the curves or you'll spin with all the excess power. :p

·
3,265 Posts
From a roll my car just plants and goes and I'm ~600rwhp. From a standing start... yes, Z06's experience wheelhop if the throttle is applied too abruptly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
WA 2 FST said:
From a roll my car just plants and goes and I'm ~600rwhp. From a standing start... yes, Z06's experience wheelhop if the throttle is applied too abruptly.
Yeah, I guess all high powered cars get it especially with big mod numbers. One thing that seems to work on Cobras at all power levels are BF Goodrich drag radials...tread life is short and don't drive on 'em in the rain, but they counteract the hops! I am going to get some rears shortly.

·
Premium Member
9,755 Posts
ForceFedZ06 said:
Adding a Blower is about 80lbs added to the front end. I can't feel much of a difference, but I bet some would argue otherwise.
80 lbs. is a lot of weight if you road race. You could move the battery to the back, and put on a CF hood and the balance would probably not be too badly altered. But it would bring new meaning to the phrase "squeeze the throttle". :D

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
If you are going to S/C your Vette, make sure you are keeping all the performance parameters in balance, ie., chasis, handling, braking, and powertrain. Just adding more power can be dangerous if you don't have the brakes and suspension to meet the additional power. Mallett, LPE, 21CM, and Thunder Racing all do a superb job of ensuring the car is well balanced all around. Good luck.

·
3,265 Posts
1268Cobra said:
Yeah, I guess all high powered cars get it especially with big mod numbers. One thing that seems to work on Cobras at all power levels are BF Goodrich drag radials...tread life is short and don't drive on 'em in the rain, but they counteract the hops! I am going to get some rears shortly.
Yep. I run Nitto DRs fulltime on my car. I tried the BFG's but they are a horrible handling tire...at least they are on the Z06. With the Nittos I drive as aggressively as I did with the F1s, but then again, I don't road race.

·
Registered
31 Posts
WA 2 FST said:
Yep. I run Nitto DRs fulltime on my car. I tried the BFG's but they are a horrible handling tire...at least they are on the Z06. With the Nittos I drive as aggressively as I did with the F1s, but then again, I don't road race.

I hear ya on handling...DR's will never be better than radials. For straight line launching BFG DR's are 3 to 1 favorites over the Nittos for Cobra's. THe BFG's are alot stickier than the Nittos. I currently have 315-30-18 Michelin Pilot Sports on the rear and they handle fantastically...still have the hops thou not as bad as stock. The fact that I have a vert doesn't help the matter.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
1268Cobra said:
I hear ya on handling...DR's will never be better than radials. For straight line launching BFG DR's are 3 to 1 favorites over the Nittos for Cobra's. THe BFG's are alot stickier than the Nittos. I currently have 315-30-18 Michelin Pilot Sports on the rear and they handle fantastically...still have the hops thou not as bad as stock. The fact that I have a vert doesn't help the matter.

The nittos he is talking about is a Drag radial and the BFGs like you said do stick better. However, many people can cut 1.8 60 foot with the nittos. So hooking is not the problem.

The real porblem is when running BFGs becuase they are so stiff you risk breaking a lot of stuff. I know the cobras(aside from the IRS) have a very strong drivetrain. However, Z's are not knows not to like hard lanuches(especially with such a short first gear) and break a lot of stuff with BFGs.

Sorry to hijack the thread!

·
Registered
31 Posts
2002Z06Yellow said:
The nittos he is talking about is a Drag radial and the BFGs like you said do stick better. However, many people can cut 1.8 60 foot with the nittos. So hooking is not the problem.

The real porblem is when running BFGs becuase they are so stiff you risk breaking a lot of stuff. I know the cobras(aside from the IRS) have a very strong drivetrain. However, Z's are not knows not to like hard lanuches(especially with such a short first gear) and break a lot of stuff with BFGs.

Sorry to hijack the thread!
Yeah...I'm familiar with the Nitto Dr's...that's what I was referring to as well. Thanks for the explanation on the BFG's in regards to z06's....makes sense. :thumb:

Cobra weak link = ill-fitted IRS!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No you got the point of the question, and I undertsand you have to feel the car aorund the turns. I was just curious if the car could only handle up to what it was supposed to have, because if u give it gas around a turn normally, it wont slide out as bad as with a s/c. If this is a big problem, what would be the best suspension package to get?

·
Registered
971 Posts
F/I Vs. Na.

1) Controlling heat. This is biggest problem on the track with F/I.

2) Smooth Throttle Control. It is not so much the amount power, but how smoothly the torque comes in when taking the car to the edge. This is the one area that more development is needed for F/I.

3) Weight right on the nose of the car. Again another engineering issue. On front engine car the more weight you have on the back the better. And yes, I can feel 20 lbs. on the nose, much less 80 lbs.

Get the above three to work well, I would be absolute estatic, but my walleta would not like you. :lol:

·
3,265 Posts
2002Z06Yellow said:
BFG, Nitto DR... doesn't matter for me. It just spins like crazy with much throttle input in 1st gear. So I prefer the better handling tire which is the Nitto DR, hands down. The BFG DR is a joke as far as real handling goes. The Nitto tire certainly can't be confused for a road-race tire, but I take sweepers and esses just as fast as I did with the F1s, so its fine for me. The BFG is not confidence-inspiring at all going around turns... and that's ok, it wasn't designed for that.

·
Registered
967 Posts
BAMBAM86 said:
I drove a friend of mine's Z with a Maggie.
I really felt the extra heft in the front of the car and hated it, so much so I'm going with a N/A motor for mo' power.

You could move the battery to the back to counter-act the extra weight in the front.
I love the Z's handling and balance just as much as it's acceleration. I would never add anything to the car that would adversely effect it.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
ForceFedZ06 said:
Adding a Blower is about 80lbs added to the front end. I can't feel much of a difference, but I bet some would argue otherwise.
Ummm... no. The Vortech shipping weight is 80LBs, but some stuff comes off the front of the car when you put the S/C in. I'd guess I've got about 15LBs of scrap sitting in a box in the garage, so a better estimate is 65Lbs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts