Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Supermaxx Header system or Kooks 1 7/8" system?

• Supermaxx Longtubes/cats/x-pipe

Votes: 25 55.6%
  • Kooks 1 7/8" Longtubes/cats/x-pipe

Votes: 20 44.4%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I know all about LGs, but I'm not made of money and the extra $400 is out of the question ($1,800 with cats) so let's keep this to Supermaxx or Kooks.

I plan on adding headers in June, and both these systems run around $1,400. So, which is better? I'm concerned with quality, installation, sound, and low end power/torque. My only mods so far are ram air intake and B&B Bullets. However, I plan to eventually go forced induction, this is why I will get 1 7/8" if I decide to go with Kooks.

Any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I'll vote for the Kooks, but IMO even with a blower 1 3/4" will suit your needs better. :z:

·
Registered
138 Posts
The superMaxx system is good, I have been very happy with mine, and there easy to install.

·
Registered
413 Posts
if you are not doing heads and cam along with SC then stay with 1 3/4 ... I like Kooks.

·
Registered
475 Posts
By far SuperMaxx is the BEST mod I have made. It gives the biggest bang for the buck. If you don't have forced induction stay with 1-3/4 primaries. That will keep your velocity and temps up and help with scavenging.

Chas.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Kooks Coated in and out. Coated for greater heat retention for increased scavenging. Even with the large pipe they will make good power. The SC will be icing on the cake.

Good pipes

·
Registered
74 Posts
I went with the Supermaxx, but make sure you get them coated. It will cost you a bit more, but well worth it in the long run. I wouldn't go with 1-7/8" headers unless you are planning on 550-600+ rwhp after the FI.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So why is the 3/4 better than the 7/8 for lower hp cars?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I like the Kooks, they fit nice, no problems with them at all. I run catless, so I cant tell you what they would sound like, but love the sound of mine.

Plus I guess I have a little bit of a past history with them when they were really into building turbo headers for the Mustangs that I was messing with back then. Always did nice work, back then they were called crooks though :)

the 3/4 vs 7/8 comes down to exhaust velocity and the ability of the header to actually pull the exhaust out of the cylinder along with the piston pushing it out. When going larger than you need, the ability of the header to help remove the exhaust can be reduced and costing some power.

·
Registered
475 Posts
ZO6supra said:
So why is the 3/4 better than the 7/8 for lower hp cars?
The 1-3/4 Dynamaxx system comes with 2-1/2" pipes down stream. The benefit of the Dynamaxx system comes from down stream at 2-1/2" pipe. The 2-1/2" pipe will keep the flow velocities up as gases start to cool downstream. This keeps gas temps up, flow velocities high, increases scavenging = increase HP & torque. When you have a big block, heads, cam, or forced induction then larger pipes and primaries are needed.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
If you're gonna get blown...go with the Kooks 1 7/8 header. :guiness:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Stock displacement (346cid) lose to much bottom end HP/TQ with 1 7/8 headers. They work best on stroker motor's 383, 402,427 etc. Even if you go the pro charger route later, you will make more HP down in the lower RPM band with 1 3/4 headers. Unless you go with a forged bottom end, a Pro Charger will make more peak HP/TQ than the stock bottom end can handle anyways. Check with Andy at A&A and seek his advise. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
The superMaxx system is good, I'm very happy with mine :cheers:

Especially with a set of cut-outs welded on :D

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
IT L GO said:
I'll vote for the Kooks, but IMO even with a blower 1 3/4" will suit your needs better. :z:
:yeadog: :)

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
I voted for the Supermaxx system because that's what I have on my Z. I have friends that are running the 1 7/8"
Kooks on their stock displacement cars and are making very good power, so I think its just a matter of who gives you the best deal!

Jim

·
Registered
984 Posts
Jim Lembo said:
I voted for the Supermaxx system because that's what I have on my Z. I have friends that are running the 1 7/8"
Kooks on their stock displacement cars and are making very good power, so I think its just a matter of who gives you the best deal!

Jim
I'll agree with Jim. I have the Supermaxx system and it's awesome. Easy to install. Call TBYRNE Motorsports, a supporting vendor of this site. They will make you a good deal.

Rick

·
Registered
119 Posts
after viewing the poll results, you have enough data to know both are great setups. good luck with your decision now!! LOL!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts