Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to install the complete SuperMaxx system on my 2004. I have a lift and was wondering, even though the instructions are pretty straight forward and easy to understand, could I get some input on the install from forum members that did it themselves? Is it easy with a lift and one helper or is it a PITA??? Also any trouble with the 2004 such as codes? Do you really have to remove everything the instructins tell you to or do you have any shortcuts that might make the install quicker or easier. Thanks for any response or help that you can give me. VNVETT

·
Registered
562 Posts
I followed the instructions on ls1howto.com HERE The install went smoothly when I followed these instructions. The only codes I've ever thrown are P0420 TWC System Low Efficiency Bank 1 and P0430 TWC System Low Efficiency Bank 2. These codes are commor for high-flow cat installs....basically it's your PCM telling you it doesn't like the HF cats. Doesn't cause any problems so I just delete them when they show up (about once a month or so). Another thing I would suggest is getting the car tuned after the install....there's still a lot of HP and TQ that is lurking out of that mod.

Heres some pics...........

BTW...those are not just pieces of wood stacked on top of each other. I bolted them together so it’s like one big piece of wood.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By the way anybody know of a good tuner in the Augusta, Atlanta, Georgia area? That also covers The Carolina area as Augusta is on the Ga- Carolina Border. Thanks VNVETT

·
Registered
271 Posts
A friend and myself unstalled mine on jack stands including a new cat back in 3 1/2 hours..

·
Registered
984 Posts
Vette1171 said:
I followed the instructions on ls1howto.com HERE The install went smoothly when I followed these instructions. The only codes I've ever thrown are P0420 TWC System Low Efficiency Bank 1 and P0430 TWC System Low Efficiency Bank 2. These codes are commor for high-flow cat installs....basically it's your PCM telling you it doesn't like the HF cats. Doesn't cause any problems so I just delete them when they show up (about once a month or so). Another thing I would suggest is getting the car tuned after the install....there's still a lot of HP and TQ that is lurking out of that mod.
Same here. Except I get those codes a little more often than 1x per month.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I did my own, by myself, took my time over several days. Yes, you gotta tear it all down, but it's fun. Yes, I get the codes, clear them and drive on. :thumb:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Instructions say you should not get any codes but I it looks like some people are getting a few. Wonder why some do and some don't. VNVETT

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By the way, I now have a set of QTP electric cutouts already welded to the rear pipes and they dump down under the transmissio. for sale cheap. They are really fun when you open them up but I really should have bought the headers instead. VNVETT

·
Registered
126 Posts
VNVETT said:
By the way anybody know of a good tuner in the Augusta, Atlanta, Georgia area? That also covers The Carolina area as Augusta is on the Ga- Carolina Border. Thanks VNVETT
Will send you a PM, since I don't think I can provide non-supporting vendor information.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Codes appear if your doing low speed, high rev driving around town. :D

If your doing more hway driving, you won't see the codes. :yeadog:

·
Registered
996 Posts
Vette1171 said:

BTW...those are not just pieces of wood stacked on top of each other. I bolted them together so it’s like one big piece of wood.
Vette1171,

Were you able to do the install with only that much clearance??? The instructions claim you need at least 3 feet, and that's been the main reason why I decided not to do it myself (my lift and jack stands will only cover 2 feet...).

Geoff

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I assume the Supermaxx install is similar to the LGs. No problem on jack stands, and I'm pretty sure they weren't 3 ft in the air.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
This is the first I hear of people getting codes out of their SM installs. I followed the manuf. instructions to the T and had no problems with the install or codes. Even after the Magnuson install there are still no codes. I put my car up on a Kwik Lift for the install. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
They advertise 30-40 HP gains with this system. Are these numbers realistic or what have you actually found HP-wise?

·
Registered
881 Posts
I did the SM headers plus Vararam and a Tune. All of that bought me only about 30 whp. I think it depends some on the vehicle, the dyno, etc. And, I also get the codes occasionally. If anyone doesn't they are just lucky since there really isn't any variation if they are installed correctly. Also, a lot of tuners "turn off" the rear O2 sensors and then the codes never appear. Don't do that if you have to pass an emissions test.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Luck, my friend, has nothing to do with it. Variations do exist. Some have installed upgraded TB, Intakes, H/C, etc... My install was done on a %100 stock engine at the time.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Z06Dad said:
Luck, my friend, has nothing to do with it. Variations do exist. Some have installed upgraded TB, Intakes, H/C, etc... My install was done on a %100 stock engine at the time.
Yeah, right.

My car was bone stock too and I got codes.

It is actually better now with the H/C.

The "luck" part has to do with the fact that these cars are the result of thousands of variables in both parts and assembly. When they come off the line they are not identical in performance or behavior. Seeing as nobody gets the code constantly the implication is the addition of the header system puts the car close to some limit that triggers the code. Variations from car to car cause some to get the code more often than others - I think how the car is used, altitude, temperature etc probably have an influence too.

So, that is how I define luck. :thumb:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Jofu said:
Vette1171,

Were you able to do the install with only that much clearance??? The instructions claim you need at least 3 feet, and that's been the main reason why I decided not to do it myself (my lift and jack stands will only cover 2 feet...).

Geoff
Yup, with no problem....My car was 18"-19" off the ground....I think it actually made it easier being that low. I would just lay on the dolly and work on the car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts