Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In this article: http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Insurance/Insureyourcar/P107719.asp[url] Follow the link to State Farm's table, which lists the Corvette as the best possible insurance risk... A/40%/A. The worst? An Acura RSX! (C/0%/C)

·
Registered
415 Posts
I believe it.

Last year I added an old POS '91 Subaru wagon (dog hauler) to my policy w/liability only. The Subaru premiums are more expensive than the Z....

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Link didn't work for me.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I was very surprised when my wife got insurance for the vette and called me at work to tell me the price. Full coverage lowest deductible with highest coverage and less expensive than our Suzuki Grand Vitara and Range Rover. The Rover only has liability and is more expensive!

Link worked for me. Don't copy the part.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Hey what do you expect...we're all 50 + year old's having a midlife crises and ALL of our Z's are garage queens that never get driven hard!! :eek: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
583 Posts
my 2001 f150 x-cab and the 2002 vette are rather high i think. i have never had anything...ever...ok well one time for not haveing the right insurance card (outdated) but never speeding or anything being ticketed for. anywho....the truck is paid for and the vette has full coverage. the truck 310 every 6 and the vette 735 every six. i am married and Kimberly has nothing on her record either....Im thinking I need to re-vamp my coverage some.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
stevep1794 said:
my 2001 f150 x-cab and the 2002 vette are rather high i think. i have never had anything...ever...ok well one time for not haveing the right insurance card (outdated) but never speeding or anything being ticketed for. anywho....the truck is paid for and the vette has full coverage. the truck 310 every 6 and the vette 735 every six. i am married and Kimberly has nothing on her record either....Im thinking I need to re-vamp my coverage some.
A lot depends upon your age :)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'm 34 and mine is lower than my 03 Dodge Ram; it's $92 a month. The reason they are so low is because they (ins co's) that you arent driving the car everyday, at least mine does, State Farm.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wingnut said:
Hey what do you expect...we're all 50 + year old's having a midlife crises and ALL of our Z's are garage queens that never get driven hard!! :eek: :rofl: :rofl:
Wingnut - You got me right between the eyes with that one! I was going to get a vanity plate that said, "MIDLIF" and my wife asked me why I would be so redundant. :rofl: Yes, I'm 45+ keep my Z in the garage most of the time and NEVER, EVER drive it hard. :p

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
nobigspoilerz said:
Wingnut - You got me right between the eyes with that one! I was going to get a vanity plate that said, "MIDLIF" and my wife asked me why I would be so redundant. :rofl: Yes, I'm 45+ keep my Z in the garage most of the time and NEVER, EVER drive it hard. :p
I'm right there with you...not "quite" 50 ;) but I do get SO tired of hearing people say that about Vette drivers...I try to tell them that it doesn't apply to Z06 drivers...most owner's are performance freaks. :cheers:

·
Registered
373 Posts
In 2000 when I was researching the Corvette vs BMW M3, the estimate was indeed a delightful surprize (160 vs 333)! The actual bill came to 159 dollars every 6 mo. So in 2005, it has been hovering at 169 every 6 mo. I would have thought it would have gone down by now! :rofl:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
My Vette insurance is less than my Ford pickup.

My ZR1 insurance is more than the Z06, same company same coverage. :screwy:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Rates

The actuaries do not surprise me at all.

1) Accident incident rate is most likely very low. Not to many miles driven and almost every vette owner is paranoid of even a speed bump of driveway, much less contact with anything else.

2) If some of us rubbed our wives as often as we polished our cars and we spent as much money on wives as we do our cars. We would probably have sex more often and have a lower divorce rate as group. lol.

3) The average corvette owner is fifty-five years old.

More likely a number of other things, I am not considering at this point.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Insurance rates are based on:

1. The vehicle (ie make/ model, value & performance issues)
2. Age, sex & marital status of rated drivers
3. Driving record (tickets & accidents)
4. How the vehicle is used (ie pleasure, commuter or business etc)
5. Where you live (city or rural)
6. Historical Losses related to that make/model

As Wingnut put it - we're mostly "Old Farts" so age (2) and driving records (3) are not usually a problem. We pamper our vettes so vehicle usage (4) and historical losses (6) also are not usually a problem either.

That leaves 1 & 5 - both of which are our choice!

Just my $.02

·
Registered
101 Posts
Here's something else to consider... There was an article in Car and Driver a while ago (last month?) where they talked about ECS aka Active Handling. Apparently, it has reduced the number of fatalities by 40%. It was touted as being "revolutionary."

Since all cars don't come with this (or similar) systems, it would make sense that Corvettes would benefit considerably by employing the technology.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
leaftye said:
I'm jealous. I'm 26 yrs old and pay ~$125 a month, and when I move back to San Diego it'll jump up to ~$175.
Oh, to be young again :eek: When i was 18, a long time ago, bought a new 71 Vette and was paying $1300 a year for insurance, in N.J. :mah: So don't feel bad, imagine that in today's $'s. :bmad:

Jack

·
Registered
46 Posts
LoL, isn't that the truth, I'm 52 I've had my 04Z since June 19 last year and have a staggering 1,400 miles on her. I guess she has been another garage ornament like my Harley. Damn I have to stop working so much and get out and enjoy my toys. :z:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I"m 39 with a spotless record and pay ~ $1400 a year on my '04 Z16. Consider yourselves lucky.

And you California guys, how much does it cost to register your Z a year? :pp:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts