Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making the switch to ceramic brake pads. All of my driving is off-track and around town, and I'm tired of all the brake dust.

I need to replace the front pads anyway, and new PS2 tires will be here this week too, so I figure this is the perfect time.

Anyway, the rear pads don't necessarily need changing. Brake dust is not so much of a problem on the rears and there's plenty of pad left.

Is there a technical (or even a practical) reason why I should switch all four wheels to ceramic or is it okay to just leave the rear pads alone for now?

Thanks - MN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,744 Posts
Fastdad said:
Is there a technical (or even a practical) reason why I should switch all four wheels to ceramic or is it okay to just leave the rear pads alone for now?

Thanks - MN
IMO no reason to change :z:

.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,357 Posts
Ok, I have to admit. I didn't change the rear pads on my 02. I only changed the fronts. The rears weren't making much dust and that was my concern so I just left the stockers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,693 Posts
PerforminNorman said:
Ok, I have to admit. I didn't change the rear pads on my 02. I only changed the fronts. The rears weren't making much dust and that was my concern so I just left the stockers.
:yeadog:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks, I appreciate it. - I'm ordering only the fronts. We'll deal with the rears later.

--MN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
Fastdad said:
Thanks folks, I appreciate it. - I'm ordering only the fronts. We'll deal with the rears later.

--MN
Are you getting the GM ceramic pads? How much do they run for a front set?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,484 Posts
I figured while changing the fronts, i put rears on also. This way if i want to put my stock pads back on, all 4 are ready. Forgot to add, mine only had 300 mile on them.

Jack
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,475 Posts
I changed all four corners last summer, GM parts direct had
them on sale for $69.95 for all four wheels. Too good a deal to pass up! Great mod, virtually dust free and still stop the car right now! :bang:

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
622 Posts
i did the same :coo:
Jim Lembo said:
I changed all four corners last summer, GM parts direct had
them on sale for $69.95 for all four wheels. Too good a deal to pass up! Great mod, virtually dust free and still stop the car right now! :bang:

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
653 Posts
I just went with GMDirect...price wise really...and I did all four as well.

Chrome wheels look better clean.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,475 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
809 Posts
Jim Lembo said:
I believe the GM Durastops and the Raybestos are the same!
They are the same. I'd buy whatever is cheaper.

Sal
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,384 Posts
If you're driving fast (wich we tend to do in these cars) and you slam on the brakes (and you have ceramics front and stockers rear) the car will get very squirly and and unstable. The rears will have a higher friction coefficient and try to stop the car faster and make the rear want to come around on the front. I know from personal experience as I've been runing ceramics front and my stock '01 pads rear for a bit now. Get all four.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: I've had my ceramic pads on for almost four months now and I'm tickled pink. I only replaced the front pads. In my experience, there is no down side. No fading and no squirelliness but mostly no more brake dust.

Granted, I'm not on the track and I'm not street racing but I do get aggressive and I have had no troubles. Basically, I have noticed no performance difference at all.

I will add that I have also recently purchased a new set of Michelin PS2's and they sure DO make a difference. Bald tires suck.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,289 Posts
Jim Lembo said:
I changed all four corners last summer, GM parts direct had
them on sale for $69.95 for all four wheels. Too good a deal to pass up! Great mod, virtually dust free and still stop the car right now! :bang:

Jim
Me Too! :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
I changed to the ceramic pads and love them...did the front and rear....no dust and they wear very well..I have been running them for quite a while with no complaints.. :yeadog:
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top