Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some time now the syncros were somewhat loud in my car. But with my exhaust setup it didn't really phase me. Well the other day I was driving down the road and shifted into third and it made a terrible sound and the stick shook somewhat violently. It does this all the time going into third and only third. The gear itself is fine. I've tried double clutching and that doesn't help. The concensus is that my 3rd gear syncro is shot, no? How are dealers when it comes to covering this under warranty? The car's a 2003 3 year lease so the warranty is still en effect for sure. Who makes the decision whether or not to cover it? I don't abuse the car at all but I do drive it hard. I shift very quickly but not sloppy. I'm very friendly with my dealership and the GM of the place. Do they get some outside GM employee to come and check out the car or does the dealership make the decision to cover it? One concern I have is that there are nitto 555RII's on the rear. It would be a pain in the ass but should I buy stocks and put them on the rear? I've never had any warranty issues with the car so I'm somewhat concerned. Anything I should know or do before I bring it in? Will they cover it without a problem and i'm overreacting? I've heard of people getting 2 and 3 whole new trannies out of the warranty. I don't drive it like an A-hole so that's not me. What do I need to know and what are others experiances?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Gene -- Do me a favor first: if you haven't taken out the spring on your clutch pedal, do so now. I doubt it's the culprit, but it can't hurt.

You should talk to Undertaker, he had the same problem and had his car warrantied. IIRC he had a shifter to boot, and they took care of him. Stealershits really are hit or miss, but whatever you do DO NOT let them take the car apart unless they promise to warranty it. Many times the dealer will say "we'll let you know after the car is apart" only to take your car apart and then tell you your warranty is void. Now you have a car in pieces and are forced to pay for costly out of pocket repairs.

Worst case scenario there is a mod-friendly dealership next to ECS where Rich had his oil replaced under warranty and a cam installed :) You can PM him for the info on them.

-N

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nabbs said:
Gene -- Do me a favor first: if you haven't taken out the spring on your clutch pedal, do so now. I doubt it's the culprit, but it can't hurt.

You should talk to Undertaker, he had the same problem and had his car warrantied. IIRC he had a shifter to boot, and they took care of him. Stealershits really are hit or miss, but whatever you do DO NOT let them take the car apart unless they promise to warranty it. Many times the dealer will say "we'll let you know after the car is apart" only to take your car apart and then tell you your warranty is void. Now you have a car in pieces and are forced to pay for costly out of pocket repairs.

Worst case scenario there is a mod-friendly dealership next to ECS where Rich had his oil replaced under warranty and a cam installed :) You can PM him for the info on them.

-N
I don't think it's the clutch spring. The other gears are completely fine. Plus a couple times I've shifted without the clutch into different gears and that was always smooth. It's nothing with the clutch.

I luckilly have the stock shifter. Wasn't there some crazy memo put out by GM that if the car didn't have the stock air filter they wouldn't warranty the transmission?

Is it the dealer that makes the decission?

thanks nabbs

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
yeah I trashed mine and finally had it cause hell back on the day of the hooters run. When I took it to the dealer I put the stock shifter back in and took out the majority of my other non-advertised mods, of course I screwed up and left the extra shift plate (with the numbers) under the seat by accident and low and behold the area rep saw it. Claimed I had nitrous in the car. I called their bluff and offered to pay out of pocket for them to tear down the engine, do oil analysis etc. if they could find any proof that I ever used nitrous in the car (which I never used, only installed, lol) They bought it and covered it. Your biggest problem off the bat gene is going to be finding a dealer that has a tech with C5 certification and MANUAL tranny certification because their first option and most likely is rebuilding vs. replacement. I got lucky and I destroyed so much in the tranny that they replaced it. My writeup said the shift fork bent and exploded (exact word) the synchro. Somewhere on here is a service bulletin for the bent shift forks, midyear in 03 they went from aluminum to steel, I'm not positive on my production date/number (can pm/email you a vin if necessary) but I picked it up out of inventory on march 15th. So I'm not sure if I'm in the group of earlier 03's with aluminum forks or if I bent steel with my big guns. The guys that did mine were at dobler down in hempstead. Good bunch of guys, I can't complain except that the car came back dirty (was sitting outside for some of the time I guess) but they offered to run it through the carwash.....I just dont' take my vette to the carwash. If you have a shifter in the car, pull it. (if needs be I have a stock shifter in a box and a stock knob on mine you can use.) I know you don't have grey wheels, but later in the week I'll lend you my F1's on the stock rims if you're really worried. I'm in some showroom stock shootout on monday at englishtown and should be at the jersey shore till tues-wed or so, but I can throw the car in the garage and leave the ccw drag package on it and run my rims to you or if you want to come to me I have air tools etc. to swap everything over. I'm guessing the car is still driveable if you don't use 3rd, I was able to get home from tobay to queens just jumping from 2nd to 5th and avoiding all of 3-4th gears because both of mine were f-d up I could get it into gear and if I finally got it into gear it didn't want to come out. Lemme know.

ps. since you're about the same age as me and we all know how we're usually looked upon dropping off a vette for service with busted driveline parts....call roadside assistance and make them flatbed it in (thats what I did, busted it on sat, flatbed on monday) that way they have less to work with against you...every little bit helps.

Steve

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you!

My shifter is stock so I shouldn't have any problem there. I can still drive it fine but I stay out of 3rd. Everything else works fine. I picked the car up in March of 03 so I'm not sure what kind of forks I have. If the fork was bent wouldn't it effect the gears as well? You said area rep...does that mean it's not the dealer that makes the decision? Is there any negative aspect for a dealer doing this type of work? Again I'm very good friends with the dealership so they wont look bad upon a 23 year old dropping it off. I'll probably drop it off with my father at night anyway. My main concern is that it will be some GM jerk from outside the dealership that says..look..he's got headers so no go. Thank you very much for you offer to loan me your rims. I'll talk to my father about it and see what he says. Thanks again. I'll let you know about the tires.

:D

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
RocketSled said:
I had no problems with a warrantied tranny replacement earlier this year, and my car had numerous mods.
That's comforting to hear.

My car's a lease and will be trading up to the new Z around December. I'll have to take my headers off down the line. The thought of taking them off now was just running through my mind. I'd really rather not but if that came down to the deciding factor I'd be outside in my driveway undoing them now (actually calling vettedoctors). So you figure leave the headers on and don't worry about it? My Nittos are very worn and I need to get new rears anyway for when it returns. I'm thinking I may just pick up a set if I don't end up borrowing them from someone else.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FRC Tom said:
You're covered. Wash your wheelwells.
:lol: I've heard that they look there.

I'll take it tonight to get it done. I haven't done any sort of burnouts in a really long time because I didn't want to mess with the Nittos.

You think having the 555IIR's on there is a big deal?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
so you wanna get rid of some headers, do ya gene....

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hehehe..you like LG's ;)

you can see in my sig what power/times i've gotten from pretty much just them

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
your car makes mine sound tame....

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i took everything out of the car, cleaned the wheelwells with a pressure washer, made the whole car spotless, and dropped it off at the dealer last night....as is.

thanks for everyone's help...i'll keep you all updated.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so the dealership said....

he said they get a Z06 in every two weeks with the exact same problem. I blew out thrid gear and 3rd syncro. They're going to put in all new gears and syncros. :) They didn't even mention anything about the headers or the Nittos. Also mine had the aluminium shift fork and they're going to put in a steel one.

so all is well. I'll have it back monday or tuesday.

thank you everyone for all your help.

undertaker...glad i didn't sell you my headers..yet ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts