Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any one changed out your Transmission fluid? If so, what did you use? Does anyone else used any kind of synthetic transmission fluid for your Z? If so, what brand?

Thanks

1990 Yam FZR1000

·
Registered
89 Posts
I changed to Redline D4-ATF several weeks ago. I added a magnetic drain plug at the same time. The transmission does seem to shift a little smoother with the Redline fluid.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Just curious, but can the ATF take the loads going through the tranny? Lot's of torque means lots of gear loads /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Redline also sells a line of tranny fluids with the GL5 load rating on them -- seems like they would be a better choice.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where can I get some of these Redlines?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I have used Red Line for many years, but in the Z06*********DISCLAIMER*********** I will be using Amsoil because they are supplying it to me for free, I have always said that the two best synthetic oils were Red Line and Amsoil, they use the best synthetic bases to manufacturer their products. I have Red Line D4 ATF in my convertible

T

·
0 Posts

On 2001-08-15 15:56, ddle spewed forth this drivel:
Have any one changed out your Transmission fluid? If so, what did you use? Does anyone else used any kind of synthetic transmission fluid for your Z? If so, what brand?

Thanks

1990 Yam FZR1000

I'll have to give another viewpoint.

I do open road racing where speeds are from 130 to 170 MPH nonstop for about 100 miles.

With the design of the crappy MN6 and the extra heat it gets from the rear end and the exhaust pipes, these trannies get super hot and then puke the fluid out the vent tube.
Even with a trannie cooler, it still gets too hot.

I have tested other brands,
redline, you could not give me.
Best in less foaming and working well in heat is the Mobil I ATF synthetic.

It's been in my trannie now since early spring and trannie temps have been cooler ( I know because cooler comes on less then before) and shifts are much better.

John

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, GM puts ATF oil in their manual trannys. I just had my oil, tranny and gear oil chagned last week and I think the work order did say ATF.

On 2001-08-15 19:47, ZeeOhSix spewed forth this drivel:
Just curious, but can the ATF take the loads going through the tranny? Lot's of torque means lots of gear loads /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Redline also sells a line of tranny fluids with the GL5 load rating on them -- seems like they would be a better choice.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Team ZR1... that is interesting, about your findings.. I have found just the opposite, the only thing I run Mobil 1 in is the Motor... everything else is Redline, and I have never had a failure.

But to each his/her own.

Peace

·
Registered
171 Posts
While Mobil 1 synthetic ATF is a reasonably good choice for an upgrade over the factory-fill lubricant, for the duty a Z06 typically sees, a better choice is Red Line D4 ATF. In fact, this lubricant is becomming very popular with C5 six-speed owners as a way of improving shift feel and transmission durability.

Beyond D4 ATF, for street/track cars that are driven very hard in hot temperatures, Red Line MTL is an even better choice. MTL is a bona-fide, GL4 gear lubricant having the low viscosity typical of modern manual transmission lubricants.

For six-speeds in cars that are road raced in warm weather on a regular basis, Red Line Superlight Shockproof Gear Lubricant is an excellent choice. The Superlight Shockproof is not recommended for street use because of slightly higher shift effort when the transmission is cold.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Where did you obtain the magnetic drain plug for your transmission and differential? The Chevy dealers have them for the engine (from a Suburban?) but I'm not aware of a stock part for the transmission or differential. Do you know the part numbers?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

On 2001-08-17 00:08, Hib Halverson spewed forth this drivel:
Edited

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

On 2001-08-17 00:21, JimGreen spewed forth this drivel:
Where did you obtain the magnetic drain plug for your transmission and differential? The Chevy dealers have them for the engine (from a Suburban?) but I'm not aware of a stock part for the transmission or differential. Do you know the part numbers?

Good question. I went into the dealer today and got the same thing. I asked for the magnetic oil drain plug, the salesman didn't even know that they carry such a thing for a Corvette. He asked me if this was some special item. I told him not really, people are getting it from the dealers everywhere. He looked in the computer and found the magnetic oil drain plug and told me it's about $6. I told him, SIX!!! the dealer on the other side selling it for $2.50 and you are charging me 6 bucks? He finally gave it to me for $2.50. He couldn't find the magnetic drain plug for the tranny and differential.... Talking about dealer ripping people off..... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_flaming.gif

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I have been useing the Mobil 1 ATF and have also noticed an improvement. I also change out the brake flued in the clutch resovior freaquently now, I drive my car hard and these changes help allot. Ric

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I've seen the magnetic tranny and diff drain plug kit (has both) on one of the Vette parts websights -- sorry, can't remember which one. They are out there. Maybe someone else can point us to the vender who sells them

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well, on the Corvette Forum August special purchase page you can get the 3 magnetic drain plugs (engine, trans, diff) and an oil filter for $30. Lets see, thats 3 x $2 + $6 = $30. Must be the new math?

·
Registered
814 Posts
D&D says not go synthetic?

I was going to switch my tranny oil over to synthetic and decided to give D&D performance a call to see what they said. They said not to go to synthetic as the carbon fibre blocker rings on the tranny will slip to much causing grinding between gears. The synthetic is just too slipery. A friend of mine that has a t56 in his firebird also pointed this out when he switched to synthetic. He then tried semi-synthetic and it still grinded somewhat. Apparently the regular oil helps the blocker rings grab. I'm a little confused as everyone seems to have noticed a improvement in shift quality.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts