Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this is a constant forum topic but I'm still not sure what to do. I was ready to order the T-1 composite intake at 299.00 but than people started to talk about this vararam system. Has anyone installed this yet. I hate to keep waiting and miss the Halltech sale because its really a great deal. I obviously want to buy the best and get the most bag for the buck. Vararam is saying 36 at the fly wheel v.s. 20 with the halltech (is that right?) Is that vararam system worth waiting for or any other system or should I go with the T-1 Composite? I hate making uneducated decisions. Thanks as always guys.

P.S. still waiting for the dealer to get those parts in but thanks for all the good advise. I'll keep you posted.

-Todd :cheers:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Todd,

I was thinking the exact same thing.

I think that right now, I will be going with the T-1, given no further information on either. I really don't like the lack of results/reviews on the Vararam. I have not seen a single review of the system from someone who bought one. Their website does not provide any information on the installation, dyno results, etc.

With the T1, Jim has a good solid presence on this forum. I really liked my TRIC. The Price of the T1 at $299 is considerably less then the VaraRam ($499 or $599?). The VaraRam is much more of an unknown.

If I could verify that the VaraRam truely put out 10 hp at the flywheel more than the T1, on my car, then I might be swayed.

- Charley

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Where can we find the dyno sheets on the competing product? How many do they have on the street that have favorable reviews? Personally I'll take the tried and true, I can personally attest to the fact the T-1 IS the most bang for the buck I have had the pleasure to experience on my vehicle to date. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The vararam....

....has not come out yet. Everything that you have heard is preproduction data from the manufactuer based on (hopefully) his own testing. Where's the salt shaker???

In theory, double ducted cold induction from the front fascia ducts to a sealed air box AT SPEED should produce a 30-35 HP increase in a modified engine. There's a lot of caveats here!

Another just released induction system is the ACI hood that ducts from the windshield high pressure area (ala L-88/ZL-1) to a sealed airbox through interior hood ducts.

I think there is a conspiracy; Vararam and Hurst!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Let's see their dyno sheets, and isn't this VaraRam system shown for a C5 which usually benifits more from a fresh air / intake system?
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
fyrcaptain said:
Let's see their dyno sheets, and isn't this VaraRam system shown for a C5 which usually benifits more from a fresh air / intake system?
:cheers:
I am pretty sure that the magazine ad I have seen advertized the VaraRam for the Z06 as well as the coupe/convertible.

- Charley

·
Registered
176 Posts
fresh air intake shootout

I recently purchased the Granatelli super ram cold air intake that advertises +26 RWHP. I baselined my car stock with a G-Tech performance meter that measures 0-60, 1/4 mile and RWHP derived by inputting weight and using g-force measurment. I will publish the results here once the N Ohio weather warms up and the road salt is washed away. I'd personally love to see how the Haltech and the Vararam compare. Anyone out there that has installed either of these on a '01 with no other performance mods?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
FastGlass,

Did you have a SOTP improvement and if so, how? Thanks.

- Charley

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Guy's

I JUST can't buy this...........not from ANYONE's intake.......on a stock car, no adjustment............no way, no how.

Go with Jim's if you are going to do one, I haven't seen anyone's unit on a Z, that produces over 10 rwhp...........

I am sure there are anomaly's.........but......run of the mill 10 will be the norm.

C-5's yes, NOT Z's..........:(

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone have this system installed yet or any track results?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Why is it a 2001 Z will only gain 10HP but a 2001 LS1 will gain more? Just curious. I thought they were the same airbox.

Joe

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Joe

Because the Z's are a lot better set up from the factory..................different heads, cam, etc.............
this is why the regular C5's get more of a boost.....they are more restrictive.........:)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I will have Vararam by this friday. I know a 02 Z06 owner who
has been running a prototype model for about four months here
in Las Vegas. He has been running an average of two seconds
a lap quicker on any road course or autocross course he has
run on since installing Vararam on his car compared to another
cold air intake that was on the car before. I'll be going to a dyno
this Saturday for comparison of stock intake and blackwing which
is on now.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
testing

Will you be doing any 1/4 mile testing with the vararam intake this weekend or just static dyno?

-Todd

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
George,
Did you get you're rig re-dyno'd???.
Before you but the wing on.......didn't you have the guy that dyno'd in 3rd, and bounced it off the rev limiter??.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just dyno this weekend. I don't expect to see a large increase
in numbers though. A true ram air setup must have incoming air
to be effective. Pat at Vararam told me at 60 mph the effect starts
and is at a maximum at around 125 mph. I will go the drag strip
and post stock and with vararam installed time slips in two weeks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
vararam boost

George, when I spoke to Pat he said that the boost starts to develope at slow speeds as slow as ten miles an hour. He said that the current kit is intended for increases on 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. He was sure to ephasis that it would develop boast at low speeds. Wonder why we have different info from the same person?

-Todd

1 - 20 of 31 Posts