Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have over 80 T-1 systems out there with installation times ranging 12 to 15 minutes.

One very important installation tip is the filter installation. If you installed the filter last, you have probably lost 10 RWHP. Here's why.

The filter flange has a very thin positive stop compared to filters like the Wedge. It is very easy (I've done it myself) to push the filter on the carbon fiber elbow past the positive stop causing extreme turbulence within the filter.

The idea is to provide the smoothest transition possible for the entry to the elbow without any disruption of air-flow. We have designed this filter with a bellmouth entrance which acts like a velocity stack. If the elbow is piercing this entrance in any way, there goes the HP.

We initially mount the filter last, so that the position can be determined, then tighten the hose clamp. We then loosen the hoseclamp where the silicone connects to the MAF inlet and take off the filter and elbow as a unit.

We then loosen the hose clamp and align the flange/elbow transistion as described above and retighten the clamp. The the unit can be intalled on the MAF again, with the assurance that the elbow is not causing turbulence.

One more tip. The 4" silicone connection on the Throttle Body should have its clamping force on the silicone, not the carbon fiber MAG. This will prevent any leaks at the throttle body.

The 1" hose simply mounts to the filter at the 5/8" hole, by using the 90 degree elbow from your stock airbox. Leave the grommet in the stock airbox.

Jim Hall

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Thanks for the tip...mine was pushed in too far.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the same thing

That's why the thread.

Does the filter matter?

One customer with theT-1 and the Wedge filter gained only 2 RWHP. Once we sent him the Z1000 with its built in velocity stack and larger surface area, he gained over 15 RWHP.

Jim Hall

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Thanks for the "heads up" JIm, as in the Spring I will be talking with you about the intake. Right now she is tucked away in the garage for a long winters nap. When she awakens, your system will aready be installed. Thanks for the dedication and info! Bill :cheers:

·
Registered
779 Posts
so let me figure out what he is saying about pushing in the elbow too far..The entrace for the filter which he calls the bellmouth entrace is about a inch long. so the elbow shouldn't be put in farther than a inch...If it was, the elbow wouldn't be like sticking in the middle of the filter even thought i know it is not that long...Am I thinking right here fellas????

I would appreciate some install pics especially from a side view should how close the Cobra should be in respect to the top of the radiator shroud,etc...

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I installed the Cobra, then slid the elbow and filter on to get the correct alignment. Took the elbow off, stuck my hand inside the elbow and put my fingers along the positive stop to make sure the elbow has NOT been pushed in too far. I then tightened the filter to the elbow, and the elbow to the Cobra.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Z06_2002 said:
I installed the Cobra, then slid the elbow and filter on to get the correct alignment. Took the elbow off, stuck my hand inside the elbow and put my fingers along the positive stop to make sure the elbow has NOT been pushed in too far. I then tightened the filter to the elbow, and the elbow to the Cobra.
Perfect. We do the same thing, then install the elbow and filter together. You can actually feel the elbow mate with the positive stop, but it is very thin, so that it would not protrude into the path of the airflow.

JIm

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is a suggestion that has worked very well for me ..I suggest you try it!

I found a very simple solution to properly installing the Halltech filter without much work..

All I do is gently mark the outside of the tube at the location that the filter mouth ends..(around the the tubing in 3 or 4 spots)

This way as I complete the installation..I know when the job is done..its at the proper location..(not too far in..not too far out) I did this because I am an anal son of a bitch..LOL and it comes in handy when I reposition the filter back on when I clean it..

Its neat.., its fast ....its simple and most importantly..it works..

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just so you know..I used a red felt tip pen on my high polished tubing that is invicible with my red rubber connectors..

You guys with the carbon fiber could just as easily use masking tape..

After the install is complete..peel the tape..

When you are at the point of removing to clean the filter..throw the masking tape on so you know where to stop as you reposition the filter once its clean..

then just remove the tape after the re-installation until the next 5 or 10K miles..whatever the interval is..

I love simple solutions.

Good luck!

Halltech makes a fine product.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
JBsC5 said:

You guys with the carbon fiber could just as easily use masking tape..

Ahhhh....the beauty of a forum, what a great idea, I will try that on my first air filter cleaning. Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts