Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recieved and installed one of my Christmas toys today.... the T 1. :cool:

After the idle relearn.... checked for codes and had none. :)

Went for a quick test drive.... WOW!

Nice improvement in throttle response it seems.... though I don't sense much of a change in the sound of the intake. :-?

I know some have commented on what a difference in sound it made.... anyway, I am more concerned with feel than sound. :)

I am curious as to where you guys plugged the hose into the new filter. I routed mine under the bottom of the filter and plugged it into the hole in the filter that way. Is this okay? Seems to be....

Also.... curious how far the end of the elbow should go into the filter? Seemed kinda ambigious to me. :(

And finally.... how much if any of the filter rests on the shroud? I don't wanna lose surface area....

Sorry for rambling.... I got excited. :)

Overall.... I am quite pleased with the T 1 setup. More to come after I visit the track.... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,844 Posts
AgentZ06 said:
Recieved and installed one of my Christmas toys today.... the T 1. :cool:

After the idle relearn.... checked for codes and had none. :)

Went for a quick test drive.... WOW!

Nice improvement in throttle response it seems.... though I don't sense much of a change in the sound of the intake. :-?

I know some have commented on what a difference in sound it made.... anyway, I am more concerned with feel than sound. :)

I am curious as to where you guys plugged the hose into the new filter. I routed mine under the bottom of the filter and plugged it into the hole in the filter that way. Is this okay? Seems to be....

Also.... curious how far the end of the elbow should go into the filter? Seemed kinda ambigious to me. :(

And finally.... how much if any of the filter rests on the shroud? I don't wanna lose surface area....

Sorry for rambling.... I got excited. :)

Overall.... I am quite pleased with the T 1 setup. More to come after I visit the track.... :D

Congratulations on the install. You routed the hose the way I did, the elbow fits rather flush with the filter I had to twist the elbow for the correct alignment. Check out the link at the bottom of my sig you may be able to see the position of the air cleaner, less than 10% is on the shroud. For some reason a day after the install and 100 miles the car feels even stronger. If you ever think it is not, put your stock one back on for an hour or two, I did and believe me what a difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,384 Posts
The small 90-degree elbow from your stock airbox plugs into the filter (the hole on the filter should be facing the bottom). Pull apart the stock hose at the 180-degree coupling. Install the elbow and short bent hose in the filter. Run the rest of the line under the filter and reconnect the two hoses with the 180-degree connector.


Very little of the rear of the filter should be laying on the shroud. Have you been to Halltechs site and reviewed the installation pics?

www.corvettec5.com

click on installation

HTH


:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fyrcaptain said:
The small 90-degree elbow from your stock airbox plugs into the filter (the hole on the filter should be facing the bottom). Pull apart the stock hose at the 180-degree coupling. Install the elbow and short bent hose in the filter. Run the rest of the line under the filter and reconnect the two hoses with the 180-degree connector.


Very little of the rear of the filter should be laying on the shroud. Have you been to Halltechs site and reviewed the installation pics?

www.corvettec5.com

click on installation

HTH


:cheers:
Thanks fyrcaptain! :)

I have visited the site and reviewed the installation.... just hard to tell if the filter was touching at all. :)

Mine has 10 % max touching the shroud. I will be tweaking it in the days to come. :cool:

Also.... thanks to 2002 Z06 posting those pics! They did indeed help....

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,384 Posts
Thats it finished ! I think!

Finished installing mine, turned out to be a 4 day job. I'm so freakin anal, I installed it 3 times. This time I got all the connector hoses and clamp positioned where I wanted them and the filter standing away from the rear of the front bumper cover so that a stick of gum will pass through (I was scared that vibration and/or movement would rub), and the filter tilted just right. Now I hope I can get out this weekend to try it out. Boy I have patience!:D
:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get out there and enjoy it now fyrcaptain! :cool:

I took mine off and reassembled like you.... more than three times! :eek:

Finally got it just right..... I think! :)

Anyway.... good luck to you! :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
AgentZ06
I installed mine twice before I felt it was correct. I positioned my filter with the hole on top (not the bottom like others) because that way it enabled me to wedge the hose under the corner of the filter to keep it suspended to obtain 100% airflow. Now I shouldn't have to worry about vibration of the hose as it is on top and has no place to go, but stay under the corner of the filter.
There was a post from Jim Hall on the exact position of the filter on the elbow. It appears to be important to achieve the true potential of the T-1. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
RedZ.... I had that same thought but decided on running the hose underneath with the hole in the filter facing the bottom.

Your approach should work well though. :)

After many minor adjustments, mine does not touch the shroud at all. I found this to be the biggest pain in the ass by far! :mad:

After all.... I don't wanna lose HP due to incorrect installation.

I also refitted the filter using the small positive stop as recommended by Jim. Mine was initially too far in.

Thanks for the reply and Happy New Year to you! :)

Thanks VNVETT! :cheers:
 
H

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Well on your way.

Just got off the dyno today completing the first phase of our T-1 SideWinder Mod Package.

Result: 381.2 RWHP/364.1 RWT.

This was without our NGK plugs, but with an additional T-1 item (optional) AFR Controller.

Happy Holiday!

Jim and Debbie Hall
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,384 Posts
Re: Well on your way.

Halltech said:
but with an additional T-1 item (optional) AFR Controller.
COME ON JIM, tell us more about this new goody!:D

I assume it is a MAFT, but do you (I am sure you do) need to do a scan of the PCM to get the AFR's before adding / adjusting this AFR controller?
 
H

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Not the MAFT

Information in detail can be found on our website:

www.CorvetteC5.com

Click on the AFR Calibrator picture and an Adobe file describing everything will pop up.

I actually did not have time to dial in the a/f ratio. It was so close to perfect (AutoTap log) with just the injectors, I did not think it was necessary. Boy was I wrong.

What actually made me try the mod (I have had it for 2 years) was the post by my customer who made 392 RWHP with our T-1 kit and the MAFT, no cats, underdrive.

I know that removing the cats, usually screws up the fuel trims bigtime, and is not worth the bother. One customer told me he only got 5 RWHP from removing them on his 02. The underdrive is 4 at best. So where did he get the other 14 or so HP? Had to be the MAFT dialing in the T-1 package which can run WOT slightly rich.

Our WOT before the AFR were 12.6-11.8-12.1. Great for torque on the dyno, but low HP. I can't tell you where they are now, but I only guessed at the setting by SOTP. MY ButtOMeter is pretty good.

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,844 Posts
How does this unit install? Where do you put the box? Are the dials protected from movement?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,384 Posts
I THINK this is an inside controller. A lot of the Japanese (Supras, Mitsubishis have similar, and turbo controllers inside) have this or a similar modification that are built inside.



:cheers:
 
H

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
fyrcaptain said:
I THINK this is an inside controller. A lot of the Japanese (Supras, Mitsubishis have similar, and turbo controllers inside) have this or a similar modification that are built inside.



:cheers:
The unit can be installed on the floor just under the driver's seat for easy tuning, or anywhere inside the cabin. It lights up with red lighting that looks very nice, but places to put anything on the C5 are hard comeby.

Jim
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top