Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my car came with a bunch of them - I've been running Performance Friction pads and I do like them. They have been reasonably consistent and I am happy with them.Now it's time to buy some more pads and I'm thinking of trying the Hawks and Carbotechs,which compounds should I try and where can I get them at a good price? Thx.

-CJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,170 Posts
I used the PFC 01s all last year. I was happy with them, but I did not know any better. I tried the Carbotechs for one race, and wow! do I like them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which compound Carbotechs David?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
I have run Carbotech XP9s up front and 8s in the back for 2 years now and they have been great, not overly hard on rotors, great feel, last well and are reasonably priced. I think they are a great choice...If you are all out racing and don't mind the more severe rotor wear, go with the XP10s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Larry actually has the XP11s out but that is for no nonsense racing applications. ...and he's actually working on the 12 series.

Depending on your level of track driving and what you do with your car will determine your level of aggressive pads. I run 11s on front and 10s on rear.

For heavy DE stuff with little street driving, 10s up front and 9s on back.

For just occassional track stuff and mostly street, the 9/8 combo works very well.

Over the past year, I've tested the PFCs, Hawk 70s, Cobalt...etc and I still run the Carbos. There's nothing that comes even close to these things for anywhere near the price...and they stop like you've run into a sand dune.

If you are coming into T1 though, I'd recommend anything BUT the Carbotechs. he he ;) :rofl:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,289 Posts
If you are coming into T1 though, I'd recommend anything BUT the Carbotechs. he he ;) :rofl:[/QUOTE]
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
I heard from Chuck Mallett that Carbotech and PFC are related somehow. Since we were talking about something else, I didn't dig deeper into what he meant. Are PFC's also ceramic based?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. I ordered some of the Carbotechs today, 11's and 10's. I'll test them late next week.

Sorry I don't know if the PFC's are ceramic based - but I've assumed so.

Anyone going to the June Sprints?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
I will be at the Sprints driving my new 2005 Mustang in American Sedan. I want to run my vette so bad but I need the points in AS. I love RA. It's a great track and a great race. If you go stop by and see us. We will be in the upper paved paddock. It will be the rig with RSIG Security on the side. We will be running a vette and two mustangs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
seege said:
Thanks everyone. I ordered some of the Carbotechs today, 11's and 10's. I'll test them late next week.

Sorry I don't know if the PFC's are ceramic based - but I've assumed so.

Anyone going to the June Sprints?
Bed them in good first (instructions in the box), let them cool and then go pound on them. Make sure you have good, tight belts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
I just put the Carbotech XP9's all around, and ran day 1 of a 3 day DE today with them.

compared to the Hawk P+ I had tried before, there is no comparison. The XP9's really, really stop hard. You need to have your harness in place even driving to the track on city streets......tap on them just a little to much and you have nose prints on the windshield!

Seriously, I can go deeper and faster into corners with complete confidence with these pads. And as someone said, they are MUCH cheaper than PFC.

I got mine from PFYC. Brian is a supporting vendor.. :thumb:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
809 Posts
David Pintaric said:
I used the PFC 01s all last year. I was happy with them, but I did not know any better. I tried the Carbotechs for one race, and wow! do I like them.
Subdriver was braking pretty late on you in the race that you both did. He's running Carbotech's, isn't he?

Sal
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,170 Posts
Subdriver was braking pretty late on you in the race that you both did. He's running Carbotech's, isn't he?
Yes, Brad was. This was more of Brad's more advanced driving abilities than better brake pads, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,563 Posts
WhosUrDaddy said:
I heard from Chuck Mallett that Carbotech and PFC are related somehow. Since we were talking about something else, I didn't dig deeper into what he meant. Are PFC's also ceramic based?
From my understanding, Carbotech used to manufacture a spin off of PFC pads. That is not true any more. He has been designing and making his own pads for years now. I have raced on the XP9/8 combo, XP10/9 combo, and most recently, the XP11/10 combo. For full racing on R compound tires, I highly recommend the newest pads. For less aggressive or DE use, the slightly older XP10/9 or XP9/8 combo also work very very well.
:cheers:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
809 Posts
Subdriver said:
From my understanding, Carbotech used to manufacture a spin off of PFC pads. That is not true any more. He has been designing and making his own pads for years now. I have raced on the XP9/8 combo, XP10/9 combo, and most recently, the XP11/10 combo. For full racing on R compound tires, I highly recommend the newest pads. For less aggressive or DE use, the slightly older XP10/9 or XP9/8 combo also work very very well.
:cheers:
I thought that it was Hawk pads that he used to manufacture and not PFC pads?

Sal
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,563 Posts
salvador said:
I thought that it was Hawk pads that he used to manufacture and not PFC pads?

Sal
I'm not positive, but I believe he was back engineering both.

Thanks for the kudo's on the braking ability David. :cheers:
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top