Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For thos of you thinking about a T1, I've just installed mine. Installation was very easy and straightforward. The only missing step in the instructions was to connect the rubbur hose from the stock airbox to the hole in the new filter. As far as performance gains, the car definately seems more responsive and rev-happier. The gains were probably small since I still have the stock exhaust. I would bet that no aftermarket unit flows any better than the titanium stock unit. The trick is to go with an off-road X-pipe and do away with the cats, or at least eliminate the pups. Quality of the Halltech unit was OK. I expect that when I spend $600 for $50 worth of materials that the finish of the carbon fiber plenum chamber would have been much better. The interior surface of the plenum was unfinished and rough but I'm unsure if this matters concerning performance. Overall I am satisfied with the T1, I just think that for $600 the exterior finish could have been better.

2001 Black ZO6:cool:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm surprised that the interior is rough and unfinished. Considering that the reason to replace this is to eliminate the accordian and therefore turbulence, I would have thought otherwise. Maybe this was intended and helps..who knows.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the car does seem to have more power but I would have to say the gains were more in the throttle response arena. Regardless of everyone elses claims, I seriously doubt that any mod that nets only a few ponies can be felt in the SOTP. Considering what the Z can run the quarter in, and most intake mods might knock a tenth of a second off your time (if you're lucky) I just can't believe that anyone can actually feel that subtle of a change. This car was a rocket before the T1, and it is still a rocket. I plan on installing an off-road X-pipe to get rid of the cats and I would guess combined with the T1 I will definately feel it then. (save your money on cat-back systems, the GM titanium unit is a gem and the cats are the weak link in this exhaust) An intake mod alone is mostly worthless unless you improve the engines breathing on the exhaust side

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think the unfinished interior makes a difference. You can tell simply by looking at the T1 that it flows a lot more air than the stock unit and in HallTech's defense, I have much experience with composites and carbon fiber as an aircraft mechanic and smoothing the interior of the unit would have been a serious job. As far as the exterior finish goes, the resin they use is not unlike the gel-coat finish on a boat and you can get a show-car shine on it with a little elbow grease and gel-coat polish. I just felt that for the price, and considering the type of car this unit is for, that the unit could have looked as shiny as in the pictures on their website. I don't really want to steer anyone away from the HallTech, overall I'm happy with it and it does look really cool under the hood. Of course, however, a ZO6 can make a burlap sack look good :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just installed my T-1 and x-pipe the other day and aside from the louder song, there isn't much of a real SOT stronger feel. This is after a relearn also. IF you put ear plugs on it feels almost the same. I really think you have to put the car on a dyno and program the fuel, ignition, etc. to get better gains.

Is that vent hose or whatever it is necessary? Has anybody just plugged the hole? What's the hose for anyways?

Thanks!:)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just guessing but I think it's a breather to suck up fuel vent vapors or some other related smog stuff, I doubt using it hurts performance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks Dave. I just read elsewhere that it supplies filtered air to the exhaust headers for emissions. I'm thinking about just plugging it.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is your x-pipe the off-road system that eliminates the cats?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yes, it's the bassani package that involves two pieces. The fit was a little off and made my tailpipes crooked. But I'm working on fixing it.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interior

The interior does not have to be smooth for flow, in fact the smoothness affects nothing at all with the larger plenum size.

The goal was to come up with a larger chamber volume for more high rpm capacity. The air must be smooth and laminar when entering the MAF, for accurate mass readings. Once it passes by the MAF, the pressure and velocity drops, but volume capacity is the key to high rpm performance as our 119 to 120 mph trap speeds show.

The air entering the throttle body should be smooth again for maximum WOT performance.

It is virtually impossible to make the interior smooth with Carbon Fiber, and totally unnecessary. The stock cobra is smooth, but makes 8-10 RWHP less than our MAG.

We had a customer put the MAG on with a Donaldson Intake and made 10 RWHP more than with the stock cobra bridge.

Jim

·
Registered
779 Posts
I installed a friend of mines Sidewinder today and pick up 12 hp...Total output at 366rwhp...I didn't feel no difference in the car, but it was definetely more rev happy. I hit the rev limiter bad in 3rd one time while I was out on the road getting the computer to relearn before I jumped on the dyno...I was like damn, it sure revs faster.

·
Registered
94 Posts
T1 Installed

In response to your assertion that no aftermarket unit flows better than the stock titanium exhaust, I placed the following post in the new products section on 12/8:

I just had the Corsa TI (titanium) cat back "race" exhaust system installed yesterday. Oh my God!! Run (don't walk) to the phone and call Paul Santiago at Corsa Performance 800-486-0999. It's a race system, so it's loud during WOT, but at cruise it sounds quite refined. Of course, I have long-tube headers and no pre-cats, so my system might be louder than what you'll experience. However, it sounds great throughout the entire power band. I had a Borla XR1 Race System installed previously and the Corsa TI has it beat hands down. It's twice the money ($1,395) but worth every penny!

:D :D

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
$50.00?

Where can we get our carbon fiber work done for $50.00?

We spend 5 times that for our carbon fiber, before we start. Then there's the mold cost of $3500 for each mold.

Then there's the silicone, stainless hose clamps, the GM stock F-seals at $7.95 each, the filters and overhead.

Our cost is 10 times as much as any other intake on the market, which provides much less profit margin for Halltech.

We could get the elbow and MAG done in plastic and undersell ever other intake on the market. So we'll do a survey to see if folks want a cheaper intake for their $50,000 vette.

Jim Hall

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
I vote yes too if I get the same performance with you using differant materials, heck you can make it out of dog s-it as long as it works and saves us money! Bill :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think you guys are missing the point - you can certainly put some cheap piece of crap on your $50,000 car, but if you're trying to save money, why buy a Z06 in the first place? Halltech said he could probably make a lower cost unit. It probably wouldn't look as good, work as good or last as long. I'm certainly not interested! I'd actually like to see them make a more expensive TRIC, complete with a modified radiator shroud. How 'bout it Halltech?
:z:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Halltech said:
The interior does not have to be smooth for flow, in fact the smoothness affects nothing at all with the larger plenum size.....

The air must be smooth and laminar when entering the MAF, for accurate mass readings. Once it passes by the MAF, the pressure and velocity drops.....

It is virtually impossible to make the interior smooth with Carbon Fiber, and totally unnecessary.
Mr. Hall -

The only time surface roughness doesn't affect flow is when that area is static (boundry layer).

According to Bernoulli, the pressure and velocity cannot both drop.

Smooth interior surfaces are possible on carbon fiber molded parts. Methods matter.

If you are spending $250 on carbon fiber cloth and resin for each unit, you need a different supplier. My guess is that labor is the cost driver. And if you only have 1 mold, production has to be slow.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I noticed the interior roughness of the carbon fiber Cobra on mine too. That was the first thing I wondered about in achieving the "highest" quality for such a product. IMO, selling price of Halltech's standalone carbon fiber air bridge is significant. I would encourage Jim to explore any means toward cost reduction by offering alternate (cheaper) materials without trading off any performance.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts