Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up a set of T1 Sway bars for my 2004 Z06 next week. Many of you run these.

For those of you experienced with the T1 sway bars, do you recommend different bushings in the A-arms, too?

Thanks for your advice!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
299 Posts
What is the car going to do for a living? If only the street stay with the soft bushings, but if you are looking at the track and want consistent times the harder bushing will help. The T1 arms have one hard and one normal bushing.
Tony #54

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car will see both street and track duty, but I want to focus on optimizing its performance on the track.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, the T1 sway bars only come with hard bushings. The front T1 a-arms come with bushings that are harder than stock, but not really what I would call hard. I don't think rear T1 a-arms exist. The rear a-arms use stock bushings.

For the sway bar, I don't think the bushings have anything to do with ride quality, they just provide support for the sway bar to rotate in without any other movement.

What you may be asking is what to use for the sway bar endlinks which are the part that attaches the sway bar to the a-arm. The T1 bars come with metal to metal heimlinks which work great, but are noisy. Some find this bothersome for a daily driver. I use them on the track. Others know of aftermarket endlinks which work but are lined so they are quieter. Hopefully one will chime in. If not, ask DJWORM. I'm confident he knows. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I think LGM has the teflon lined endlinks. Call them and ask. For the arms, I'm going to drop polyurethane in mine just as soon as I get my life in order (too much going on).

The stock soft bushings suck.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys:

I am planning on running with the stock T1 metal end-links. I will just keep them lubed up. If the noise becomes obnoxious, I will swap them out with an after-market option.

My main concern is whether or not I should put in harder bushings for the A-arms and whether or not this will provide better performance or just make for a harsh ride. I suppose I have this same question on the bushings for the sway bars themselves.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
The T1 a-arm bushings really aren't that hard. No where near as hard as poly bushings. I doubt you'd even notice the change. They will help, but I would be surprised if you thought they made the ride to harsh.

As an FYI, you can't just order the T1 bushings, or at least you couldn't last year when I replaced my front a-arms. You have to order the whole a-arms which come with the T1 bushings in them. The good news is they aren't that expensive, about $165 shipped (each).

Arm - T1 Front Lower LH 12480077
Arm - T1 Front Lower RH 12480078

Sorry, don't have the upper part numbers.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I've driven a number of cars with poly bushings. Latest is my dad's 94 C4 with them through out the car. His ride is really harsh. He also has yellow konis set on stiff.

The bushings aren't making noise, and it doesn't seem to be transmitting any more noise than before. Also the C5 chassis is stiffer, and will transmit less noise.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I've driven a number of cars with poly bushings. Latest is my dad's 94 C4 with them through out the car. His ride is really harsh. He also has yellow konis set on stiff.

The bushings aren't making noise, and it doesn't seem to be transmitting any more noise than before. Also the C5 chassis is stiffer, and will transmit less noise.

I've always preferred a car with the harder bushings, as the car responds NOW, not when the bushings are done squirming around.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Gee,

165 for the arms is not that much but the bushing is a wear item that should be changed regularly for consistent suspension setting retention. So I vote for buying a chinese lathe for 400 bucks and a 15 ft stick of delrin for 50 bucks and make em! Been there done that. Delrin is the stiffest thing next to heim joints.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
fatbillybob said:
Gee,

165 for the arms is not that much but the bushing is a wear item that should be changed regularly for consistent suspension setting retention. So I vote for buying a chinese lathe for 400 bucks and a 15 ft stick of delrin for 50 bucks and make em! Been there done that. Delrin is the stiffest thing next to heim joints.
Delrin also smears under pressure. In practice it doesn't last as long as polyurethane. If I was racing (and the rules allowed whatever bushing material, but no spherical bearings), I'd run delrin, and keep them often.

The poly bushings are a good compromise between a rigid bushing, and a flexible one.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well it depends on the compromise. You can lube delrin to a degree and that reduces wear. I've been waiting to replace my bushings but amazingly they have held up to 2 or 3 years of racing a 2800lb car. Maybe I'm not going fast or hard enough. PU squeeks on street cars. Delrin makes no noise unlubed or unlubed. You can graphite impregnate some PU to reduce the noise but it sometimes works sometimes does not. Delrin is harder than PU. On street comfort is still pretty good with delrin vs PU. Street tires are so sloppy that the rigidity increase in delrin is made up by slop in the tire. I think everything changes with progression to DOT R's and then to slicks. Almost anything is better than stock rubber. PU is readily available. I'd take delrin if available. I'd do heim for track cars only.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the T1 sway bars on my car now. I drove it around a bit tonight and it is definitely more firmly planted to the asphalt in its feel. What little roll the z06 had with the stock bars is not almost completely gone.

I had concerns about the streetability of the car with the bars installed. I did not change the springs and the car is very well mannered, but sits much flatter when cornering hard, even where traction is high.

Driving down the freeway it feels like if whats to follow the surface and the road oscillations a bit more the way a go kart does, but it is not bad. Without hard cornering, I think I would be hard pressed to tell a T1 sway barred Z06 from not just driving down the road.

I can't wait for California Speedway on the 18th and 19th.

:usa: :usa: :usa:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Olitho said:
I can't wait for California Speedway on the 18th and 19th.

:usa: :usa: :usa:
How did the car feel at the track with the new T1 bars?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The car felt great. In fact, I had put relatively new tires and the car and posted some good lap times.

John Wurth, one of the owners of Speedventures. SV was the event promoter that day. John came over and was looking over my car. He was wondering why I was running so fast. I was running right up there with his lap times in his T1 prepped Z06. I think at that point I was posting faster lap times than him, although he did post faster times than me by the end of the day. Nonetheless it was fun to see him furrowing his brows as he looked over my car.

I can't honestly say how much faster the car is with the T1 bars on, but it definitely rolls a lot less in corners and feels flatter. I think my speed improvement was largely due to a combination of having on better tires than usual, a fresh and good alignment job with corner balancing, good air pressures and the T1 bars. I think I was driving pretty good that day, but it helped that John was running crappy tires.

I think the T1 bars really helps a lot on a track like Streets of Willow with lots of tight turns with quick transitions. I could be wrong, as I am not really all that experienced as I have only about 18 track days since I started last October. So keep any of my feedback in perspective.

On the faster Willow Springs International and Buttonwillow tracks I am not sure it has helped that I can notice. I have heard many say that having software sway bars in the rear allowing a little more roll helps with over steer. I cannot vouch for that myself.

I am spending time playing with camber and toe and what not trying to smarten myself up about chassis tuning as I hope to campaign in T1 next spring.

I know this is not the solidly prescriptive feedback you wanted, but it is better than giving you speculative BS. I will save that for work tomorrow!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thanks for the reply! :cheers:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts