Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone verified how accurate the Z's tach is? Maybe during a dyno session someone compared readings at various RPMs tp the dyno's tach (which is supposed to be very accurate).

I have heard the speedos in the Z are real accurate as verified by guys with a GPS on board, so I would imagine the tachs are not too shabby either.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody has checked or compared their tach to some known accurate tach ... like a dynos tach input?

Hard to believe with all the tech heads around here :D.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I'd suspect that the tach is very accurate, but have heard numerous reports that it doesn't keep up with the engine during hard accelerations .. it seems to lag a little behind the actual engine speed. My guess is that the tach algorithm is doing some kind of smoothing (averaging) to the data to avoid spurious activity on the displays.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I would have to agree that the tach is a slow P.O.S. under hard acceleration I hit the rev limiter with 5800 - 6200 showing on the tach in 1st in some cases. I pretty much count out the tach in 1st and 2nd, but usually it is fairly close in 3rd.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I agree that the tach is slow especially to first gear where I have hit the limiter a couple of times.

I will need to learn to shift by ear like I did in the old days.

Pat

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the inputs guys!

But lets say that your in the upper gears and holding the revs at say 6000 RPMs. Is the tach accurate in this case? ... or is it X% off (high or low)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts