Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just tried to unscrew the stock shifter off and it didn't budge. I gave it decent torque, but not full blown muster. I noticed the shifter was rotating also and stopped. I also tried grabbing the shifter with one hand and unscrewing the knob with the other. I'm assuming the knob just unscrews off. Is that right? Do I just need to really crank it? I don't want to break anything. Any tricks or advice?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Not quite :)

Carefully pry off the diagram plate on the top with a small screwdriver.

Get a pair of small vice grips and latch onto the pin from the sides, try rocking the pin out (don't bust yourself in the eye if it should suddenly release!!)

If this does not work, get a metal rod, round screwdriver or similar and slide it through the vicegrips and pry up against the knob. I find it works better if you jimmy the rod up and down rather than a smooth lever action.....

Be careful not to damage the leather on the knob........

JC

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JC

I took off the cap and found a metal tab. I tried vicegrips on it, but it didn't budge. I did scar up the metal though. Is this the "pin" you are talking about or do I have a different situation?

Btw, thanks for the quick response.:)

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
As above, yes, don't worry about tearing it up, if you need a new one they are cheap.......

Give her hell!

JC

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok forget trying to pull it out. I've been trying for 40 minutes. If I were to drill it out, how deep is the pin? An inch? 3/4 inch? 1/2 inch?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Don't drill it, you'll regret it for sure.......

Here are some pics I took just now to give you an idea......

Pry up and insert the tool from the other side and pry again.

If this does not work, give it a few sharp yanks up on both sides. In a pinch, a butterknife will work, just be careful of the leather....

If it still won't budge, stick something between the business end of your "prybar" and the knob to increase the leverage.....

Just don't drill it........

JC

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
If the visegrip method does not work for you try this, it works everytime for me. I've installed a shifter or two.:)
Take two flat head srewdrivers and put them under the lip on both sides of the pin and press down using the shift knob as leverage and the pin comes right out.
Before FUBU could finish the sentence, is that pin going to be hard to get out I was handing it to him.:D

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Use some oil first ...

Apply some 3-in-1 oil or WD-40 before trying the above methods. Should make life much easier. Sorry I didn't jump in here earlier.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all for the help!!! I'll try all the methods and tell ya how it goes!

Happy driving!:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow that was so easy thanks Tom it took 10 seconds now I can't wait to drive with my new delran shifter:D :D :D :D :cool:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Here's another example of why I love this forum! Great group of people helping each other out. :cheers:

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Knob

Is the Delran shifter a knob or a whole new stick?

Sanford Sorry I never heard of a Delran shifter...who makes it?Delran?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hardbar .net makes it, but he sold out. I bought from lapd. I read some great things about it. I will post later how I like it, and next week I get Jake's custom Kirban,. I can't wait:D :D :D

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
It's acetal delrin plastic ...

Delrin is the 'name' of the material, like nylon or steel. Is really called 'acetal delrin plastic'. Acetal is a crystalline thermoplastic polymer with a high melting point. It offers a high modulus of elasticity combined with great strength, stiffness and resistance to abrasion. Moisture has little to no effect on acetal resin, and because of this, the dimensional stability of close tolerance fabricated items is excellent. It is suitable for mechanical parts or electrical insulators that require structural strength at above normal temperatures, and shift knobs that feel and look nice. FYI, in case you are as bored as I am today.

pro

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
supertradr said:
Wow that was so easy thanks Tom it took 10 seconds now I can't wait to drive with my new delran shifter:D :D :D :D :cool:
Why make a simple task more difficult then it has to be Jeff?:)
Am I still bringing an other one for your neighbor?

Tom

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Supertrader,

10 SECONDS! Geez! Still haven't started up again from last night.

Pro,

Thanks for the info.

And once again, thanks to all.

Zebra

1 - 20 of 24 Posts