Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
www.Vararam.com is a new air filter designer and maker in Houston, TX. There claim in Corvette Quarterly is up to 35 hp gain, with an asterisk:)

I talked to Patrick, the owner, this morning about there new set up and possible distribution of his product.

Few items of note:

2-3 weeks on production.

Pricing is $499 minus 10% for retail orders from clubs or groups like this getting more than 5 units. Dealer pricing to be determined. We are NOT a dealer of this item at this time. I'd like to see some consistent results before we step up and he hasn't approved me as one anyway as I didn't ask for it.

I bring this info to folks that want to know what this thing is about.

Install: I asked how long it would take a Vette owner to install, a guy, or girl, that changes their own oil...he said about 2 hours. He recommends a dealer doing it which will probbaly charge the customer 2 hours and do it in an hour and a half or a little more.

If the car has fog lights, then they can be kept. Of course Z06 owners can use their screens for even better air flow he said.

The filter is a K&N panel TYPE unit...not the same one that replaces the current panel filter, but, one that is made in the UK. He said the filter was less than 1/2" thick.

It is made of 1/8" ABS hi temp plastic, he said.

He said Vararam has been building engines for Winston Cup cars for the last 5-6 years and has learned from restrictor plate racing.

The 35 hp, with an asterisk claim, came from track testing. He did say there was a ram air effect. He did make the comment that he gets a '2 to 1 boost of 600 cfm air' from both sides. Folks can debate that issue, I'm sure:)

His plan is to post customer testimonials about the product on his website. He did tell me he had a customer recently gained 4 tenths and 4 mph at the track on a 98 convertible with no other mods.

I am telling you this from what he told me over the phone as I made notes. I wanted to get the straight scoop from the 'horses mouth' and let the people here on this Forum and others figure if it fits there budget and expectations. You can call BS or you can take a wait and see attitude or you can purchase the other offerings out there. This is just a new kid on the block, so to speak.

I told him of this web site and he wasn't familair with it. I also mentioned C/F and he did knew that one. I told him Z06vette.com was something he should follow for the knowledge and expectations Members bring to the table here. I told him that potential buyers will scrutinize his offering as is done with all others and he said that's fine with him, he hopes to hear from you.

Thanks for listening.

RG

·
Registered
575 Posts
Thanks for the info. Interesting stuff.
I remember way back when the C5 first came out. Talked extensively to Kim Baker. (He's a former Corvette Challenge winner from the late 80's.) We were looking for air. When looking at the openings where the fog light are, he noted that the air pressure in that area is very low and it was not a good place to grab air!!!! So, now we have this. Can't wait to hear dyno results from someone not connected to the business.
Bob

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I asked about the 35 claim and his response was, 'you can't really measure ram air on a dyno', so, track test by customers and their testimonials will be what is posted.

If you can gain 3.5 tenths and 3.5 miles per hour, with a filter set up...hey, sounds good. We'll see when the first Z06 tests show up I'm sure.

Maybe a member here should call and offer to test it for him. Sounded like a good guy, very personable.

He did say they are still working on all the info for the website past the first page welcome.

RG

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Thanks RG! It would be neat if someone did a track test stock, put this new intake on at the track and went out and ran again. Same day, same track, etc. We'd know then wouldn't we. :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Testing the pressure available at various inlets is pretty simple. I'll do this if I ever get my car ;)

You need only run tubes from the points of interest to the interior of the car and have a helper record the pressure as inches of water. You do have to watch out for pressure/vacuum inside the passenger compartment.

I don't know what the config of this new unit is. But if your duct length is too long, you may gain at higher speeds and lose at lower speeds due to flow losses.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
A few points to ponder

The product looks intriguing and certainly "looks" like it could benefit from a cold ram air effect. I have no idea how much hp
is to be gained from a setup like this. Probably some, but as much as 35hp???

The performance gains on the '98 C5 are impressive but hard to substantiate resulted purely from this product.

Agreed, you probably won't see ALL the potential gain on a dyno, but you still see something. This is as much a "cold" air box as it is a "ram" air box. To a certain extent a dyno test can replicate the former.

A 10% discount is okay, but the price is already quite high ($499) for simply an air box mod. Although, it would be well worth the price if it made even half as much HP.

RG, does a ParaRam installation really take ~2 hrs on a Z06 or was the guy referring to a regular C5? From basic appearance of the product, I would have though the installation on a Z06 would take far less time since there are no projection fog lamps in the way. Taking the front fascia off the car should not be required or is it??? And if he does recommend a dealer do the install, as in the General, I don't think that's going to fly. Most owners of C5s under warranty tend not to want to have any "dealers" do their bolt-on mods. ;)

Thanks for the info so far. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dsinned,

From the explanation given today over the phone, I think it can be done in less time on a Z06 because of no fog light issues. I think this company, and others, want to give you and 'outside' parameter so they don't get the guy who really isn't able to functionally install it unhappy that it took him 2-3 hours because their expectation was wrong and their skill level not up to par.

Most owners themselves, only do an install like this once. Guys helping the CLub Buddy down the street is a small percentage as well. Installers, as things ramp up on a successful product, will be quicker ,but, not rushing. It's the same with say, headers, while the GM/Chevy shop guys know how to take off exhaust manifolds and resinstall them, etc...they may only install one set of headers in a 2 or 3 year spa,n because, as you say, owners don't go to the dealer for mods for fear of warranty concerns, whether scared off by the dealer themselves or not.

We would buy in for distribution if it's a prodcuct that is proven to work well for the money. Our discounts to Z06vette members would be better than listed above:) With Vortex and Blackwing currently effective at $225, doubling the price for a mod like this better be worth it.

RG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts