Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the car out for an extended drive today (first of the season) with the new plugs and wires and airbox and filter installed. She runs stronger than I recall from last year, but my radio now gets a clicking sound in the stations. No sound with engine off, so it must be the new wires (I removed the metal heat shields from the stock units).

Question: Anyone else with Taylor wires have a radio interference problem? She runs so darn good I may have to leave them on, and forget about radio. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
None whatsoever. I have sold numerous sets and nobody has said anything so far.

I have the "Thundervolt 409" wires on my car which are beefy 10.4mm wires, and still nothing.

Don't know what it could be.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Redshift:

Ya, I was afraid of that. I may not have got one of the wires on tight. Will check it out, thanks.

·
Registered
528 Posts
If you didn't use any you may want to put some MSD spark guard or some other di-electric compound on the ends to ensure a good seal.

01 Z06 -MY/BLK,Zaino,Lowered,Ripper,Halltech Tric Ti,MAG,Magic Box - No time slips yet
92 RS ProStreet Camaro (454) - Best E.T to date 10.15 @ 136 mph

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Redshift:

Found the problem. Cylinder #6 wire had a bad coil end. The sheilding was all the way to the end of the wire so very little wire was exposed. The boot would not snap on the coil securely. Others had a least a 1/4" showimg. Put a stock wire on, and the noise went away. Tried to cut it back, but the stuff is too hard.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Dennis, Taylor should replace that with no problem. They have great tech. support. Give them a ring at 800-821-3600 and let them know you need one LS1 wire (and the proper color). They should send one right out.

Glad you found the problem. I'm surprised it wasn't running rough - I did some testing a while back when I was having engine trouble, and it was pretty obvious when I was running on one cylinder. Of course, this was done by unplugging injectors as the engine was running, but it should have felt similar if the connection wasn't tight.

Anyway, you got it. That's good. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Redshift:

Thank you for the information. I actually found another wire that had the same problem, just and bit more wire showing, like a 1/16th of an inch or so. It too would not snap on #6 coil securely, but seemed to make a connection enough not to interfere w/ radio.
I will call them and send the wires back for replacement.

Ya, it was wierd. We figured if it was more than one cylinder, the noise would have been more like a whrring or buzzing sound. Since it was a clicking sound we figured it was one particular wire (cylinder) causing the trouble. Just had to keep replacing wires until we got it. It was the second one we tried. Thanks again. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Ignition and spark problems are strange sometimes. Autotap may have helped you figure it out, but probably not if the motor was not running rough. Either way, it's great that you got to the source so quickly. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
0 Posts
Brian,

Does changing plug wires on a basically stock engine help?? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif Are there any real advantages?? IDK

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got off the phone with Taylor cable. They were very helpful, and gave me a return # to ship the wires back on.

Frank: doubt just wires will add much if any HP. Would also need to change plugs, then you might get 3-5hp more. I just wanted the stock plugs out, and to upgrade the wires. after looking at the stock wires, they seem pretty good (Packards). The vette has such a high energy ignition, it most likely doesn't make much difference unless you change plugs too.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Frank, I always tell friends and customers that changing wires on a car that's relatively new will not make a difference. The only reason to do a wire change is one of two reasons:

1) You want a different color wire for appearance reasons or
2) Your existing wires have some technical problem and are no longer working as they did when the car is new

Otherwise, keep your factory wires!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi there,
Just a side note, the aluminum shielding with the spring is used to diffuse RFI within the spark plug wire, coil assembly, and should be kept whenever possible.
You get almost 50 kilovolts, so you might need it.
Best, c4c5

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Best c4c5:

Thanks for the information. I have put the stock wires back on, and may leave them on, especially if I get a new one later this year. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

1 - 14 of 14 Posts