Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched quite a bit, and found some who had issues ALMOST like mine, but not exactly--so I thought id start a thread. For starters, I have a new radiator/coolant, a new stock thermostat, and have checked for bags or debris caught in the radiator. If I keep the a/c on (full speed on the fans) I will hover around 200-210 give or take degrees, max. W/O the a/c, I will hit 220+, upwards of 230+ sometimes. I let the car idle, and at 220-225, the fans are OFF completely. When it gets higher, the fans kick on and it will slowly drop. Another thing I noticed is that if driving the car harder, the temp will quickly raise over 220 if the a/c is off. Does this seem normal? My fans ARE kicking on but maybe too late or should be kicking on at high speed and are not? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
You can reprogram the fans to come on sooner or instal a Vinci Performance Fan switch to turn them on sooned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've looked into that but wanted to see if that was how the car is sposed to be all stock. The temperature rising a bit if I get on it hard, and never really staying at 190 like others have experienced while driving. If I am on the highway from the start, it usually stays at 190, its when I start to drive around the city that it will climb to 220 or so and never go back down to 190.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I think there's something wrong with your PCM. The fans should come on sooner. Unfortunately, I don't recall the exact temps and I don't have LS1Edit installed on the computer I'm using now, so I can't check my Z06 reference file to see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so the fans coming on at around 225 or so at low speed is correct? I was just wondering how all these people say they are steady at 190 or so on a stock thermostat, how can they stay at 190 if the fans do not even kick on until 225 or so? If I am cruising on the fwy, it will stay lower, but once I have been driving in the city it will stay around 220ish or so (depending on if the a/c is on or not) but will never go back down to 190 :-(

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Your temps are normal for a stock stat on stock fan settings. If you are moving down the road over 40-50 MPH with ambient temp of 80 or lower the fans will stay off and the car will run around 190, give or take. As DJWorm stated you can get a Vinci Fan Controller (had one - worked great) and at that point consider a 178 stat too, IMHO. Otherwise just drive the car and don't worry about your engine temps.

Les

silvervette2003 said:
so the fans coming on at around 225 or so at low speed is correct? I was just wondering how all these people say they are steady at 190 or so on a stock thermostat, how can they stay at 190 if the fans do not even kick on until 225 or so? If I am cruising on the fwy, it will stay lower, but once I have been driving in the city it will stay around 220ish or so (depending on if the a/c is on or not) but will never go back down to 190 :-(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts