Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... I noticed tonight that my temp gauge jumped up to 240 deg within about 3 minutes of driving..The car usually runs between 201-220 deg... After about 2 minutes of driving, it dropped back down to 220 degrees and then after about another minute it went right back to 240 deg...Its fluctuating back and forth...No leaks on the garage floor and no check engine light coming on or anything like that... Thermostat sticking?

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Hey guys... I noticed tonight that my temp gauge jumped up to 240 deg within about 3 minutes of driving..The car usually runs between 201-220 deg... After about 2 minutes of driving, it dropped back down to 220 degrees and then after about another minute it went right back to 240 deg...Its fluctuating back and forth...No leaks on the garage floor and no check engine light coming on or anything like that... Thermostat sticking?
Check for garbage in front of your radiator. These cars are virtual vacuum cleaners...

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would try the simple stuff first, low on anti freeze?,maybe the system has an air pocket? If the stat is bad i think they stick open so u don't overheat, or maybe water pump is on the way out,hth al

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Assuming no water leak, sounds like an electrical issue to me. Water Temp sensor. Try cleaning the connector and see if that fixes the problem. Or replace it. Cheaper to try first, anyway, before doing a pump.

You can maybe get some idea of what the engine is really doing by watching the oil temperature readout on the DIC. If that's going up when the water temp jumps you have a real issue (it'll lag the water temp, though, it changes more slowly).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update...Thanks for all the pointers guys... I did what everyone said , but eventually went and picked up a new thermostat from Chevy.. Problem solved! Temp is back to normal..Running between 210--220 again after putting in the new stat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts