Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of our customers picked up the GM stock exhaust system, sans the exhaust manifolds and titanium mufflers for his 2001 Z06.

He was told it is worth 5 to 7 RWHP on his 01 by eliminating the pups.

He is going to dyno and let me know the results. He has a baseline.

Jim Hall

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Definitely keep us updated. GM people have said in the past the pups where good for 5hp.

Now to do a little bench racing...

I am wondering if the combination of removing the pups and adding B&B headers can match a set of TPIS or TTS Long tubes.

How much does TPIS and TTS claim for gains on a stock C5?

LT Headers already have not using precats and even maincats factored into their claims while B&B make their hp claims with cats and precats installed, right? I know it's not as simple as 11+5=17hp gain but if not match LTs (that's why they call it benchracing :)), then narrow the gap considerably.

I have been on the header fence for a long time. My main concern in the past was that there were no port matched headers out there for the Z... But after reading some engine books, I'm not that concerned about it anymore. But two pluses for the B&Bs are that, 1, they are Stainless Steel and, 2, they are bolt-ons and require no welding.

And RAT on the other forum has been using B&Bs on his MTI H/C Combo and I believe his hp numbers are just as good as any other car with a similar setup.

Don
Halltech said:
One of our customers picked up the GM stock exhaust system, sans the exhaust manifolds and titanium mufflers for his 2001 Z06.

He was told it is worth 5 to 7 RWHP on his 01 by eliminating the pups.

He is going to dyno and let me know the results. He has a baseline.

Jim Hall

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Don, from conversations with engine builders, you are right that port matching isn't necessary, and may actually be counterproductive for long tubes. On my car, we did long tubes with before and after dyno pulls (same day, same dyno). The DRM long tubes gained 19 rwhp and 19 rwt with the only mods at that time being a Donaldson and Corsas. You might get peak numbers that are close with BB shorties and no precats, but I think long tubes will give greater gains over the entire rpm range and are worth the trouble (if there is any trouble). :cheers:

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Where can I buy long tube headers? I am gonna put headers and an underdrive pulley, do you think I will need larger injectors also? I am also running a T-1 on my 2002.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I think it's obvious that the pup cats must go on an '01 to achieve any exit flow gains.

But there is another way to improve exhaust performance that can also help in other areas of the power curve. I'm talking about a cam change. Opening the exhaust valve a few degrees earlier, when cylinder pressure is higher, will cause cylinder blow down to happen much faster - without different headers.

Once you commit to a cam change, you can go for some proper performance motor duration. The stock cams ('01 & '02) are very short duration for gas mileage. There is typically ~20 HP in optimizing a cam.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts