Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone in the DFW "metro-mess' that knows where I can get my ride inspected without getting an issue made over my windows being so dark?? I have a truck and the Z that need to be done but they both have "SNEAKY NINJA" black tint on them and so its getting to be a hassle to inspect. anyone wanna hook ****** up? thanks :jammin:

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
Can't help you Steve. Of all things my wife's SUV got nailed for that a couple of years ago. It was like 25% instead of the required 30-35%. I was shocked they fooled with it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah I have been lucky i guess so far. The last time it was done it was fine (the guy didn't care) but everyone wants to be all checking everything out since there was a new law about it. SOMEONE HAS GOT TO KNOW SOMETHING!!!

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
try dfwstangs.com. Lots of "underground" stuff and info can be obtained there. ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
When I have inspection problems I usually take it back to the dealer. An example...
The emergency brakes on my 76 Vette never held properly and often failed inspection at tire shops, etc. One day, I finally got tired and decided to take it to the local Chevy dealer for the inspection. The new sticker was installed in short order. I guess the service manager could not stomach a Corvette failing inspection. He knew if he failed it, I'd say, "A Chevy dealer can't fix a Chevy??"
Of course, the example illustrates mechanical problems. But the newer generation dealerships work harder for future work, much harder than others I've found at tire shops, Wall Mart, etc. I've had really good luck at the dealer. IMHO
regards and good luck- BillT

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Can't help you in DFW but I can tell you that most places are like you said very careful now. A place in Houston I frequented all the time told me the DPS was coming down hard on inspection stations with fines and license suspensions. With all the new computerized systems and emissions testing, shops are little gun shy on losing money in their investments. Computerizing everything has made it REAL easy for the DPS to track things.

However, like anything else if you look hard enough, you'll find it. Best of luck. In terms of tint though, I thought they recently changed the laws in TX to allow for slightly darker tint than was allowed before.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I got popped for this 2 years ago by Garland PD. Now tint aint worth the problem.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
This is what I would do. Right before heading over there, Roll your windows all the way down and pull your fuse. Then make up something like you had the window motors removed to reduce weight while racing or they don't work. You can blame them for messing up your window. LOL There's no law to my knowledge stating that you have to have side windows. If I had mine that way that's something I would do. :D

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its not about emmissions or what TX plugs into the car..its about the windows. There has got to be some place where i can get my car and truck inspected where the tint on my windows is not an issue.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Z06 nut is brilliant. I want you to be my attorney. Wow, even I wouldn't have thought of that. Steve what is wrong with what z06nut said. It makes perfect sense. They cant fail you for not having side windows can they??? If they can not then your problem is fixed. Good luck. Dr.Bigg

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
stevep1794 said:
Its not about emmissions or what TX plugs into the car..its about the windows. There has got to be some place where i can get my car and truck inspected where the tint on my windows is not an issue.

Follow Z06Nut's advice or take your chances and risk $13.50 (or whatever a failed inspection goes for now) a pop till you find your place. I realize your apparent concern is JUST your window tint but what I am saying is in general many inspection stations will not go out on a limb to pass a vehicle when it's in blatant violation whether it be tint, emissions, or what ever else.

It's obvious paranoia on the part of the inspectors and station owners b/c frankly how the hell are the DPS going to pin a tint violation on an inspection station. You could have had it done AFTER your inspection. What are the odds of a Brownie rolling up while the inspector is affixing your new sticker to your windshield... either way, best of luck to you. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Dr.Bigg said:
Z06 nut is brilliant. I want you to be my attorney. Wow, even I wouldn't have thought of that. Steve what is wrong with what z06nut said. It makes perfect sense. They cant fail you for not having side windows can they??? If they can not then your problem is fixed. Good luck. Dr.Bigg

LOL :ity: There is always a loop hole.

I got out of not having my front plates one time by Velcroing it to my bra. I put the plate on at the court house before showing it to the officer. Then pulled it right back off after he left of cource.
Try some other rural county where they are not as strick. Like a place that does a lot of farm trucks.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
When my buddy got popped for his tint being too dark, the trooper gave him a blade and made him scrape it off right there. So just be careful not to get caught.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
This is what I would do. Right before heading over there, Roll your windows all the way down and pull your fuse. Then make up something like you had the window motors removed to reduce weight while racing or they don't work. You can blame them for messing up your window. LOL There's no law to my knowledge stating that you have to have side windows. If I had mine that way that's something I would do. :D
So, umm. Which one is the window fuse exactly? :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts