Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clutch (I think) is acting up. McLeod Dual disc. I'm going to have it serviced, it may just be fluid and adjustment, but we'll see. Sometimes it pulls hard, other times it feels like it's slipping slightly. If it is going, I have to answer that question that no one seems to have an answer for. Which one????

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
FiveOJoe said:
Clutch (I think) is acting up. McLeod Dual disc. I'm going to have it serviced, it may just be fluid and adjustment, but we'll see. Sometimes it pulls hard, other times it feels like it's slipping slightly. If it is going, I have to answer that question that no one seems to have an answer for. Which one????
Exedy... what a wonderfully built device.

Zed

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
God, the clutch question...........grrrrrrrrrrrr........bugs the crap out of me.

My clutch just started acting up as well. After two high rpm shifts in the upper gears, it grabs very quickly, and the pedal is slow to come up.

I think I will go with the Spec hybrid, steel flywheel for driveability, and hope it holds a 420rwhp car, with an occasional 100shot. Its not very expensive, and I hear its holding up pretty well in a couple of TT cars.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I really like my spec clutch. The pedal is a little stiffer on the spec than the Mcleod though. :cheers:

·
Z06 Master
6,137 Posts
Just hanging around to see what the clutch verdict is :usa:

I had a stock Z06 clutch kit put in mine last year, but I do not have a

KAGILLION HP :lol:

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
FiveOJoe said:
Which one????
Joe,

There is a clutch that J-Rod has given a :thumb: on. It is from Australia, and apparently has been in use over there for several years on some very high HP cars that have seen severe time on the strip.

It is now "over here" and is under a $1000. You might give the boys at ECS a call, as they have just installed one on a 434 and are in the process of breaking it in. They should be able to give you some first hand impressions.

Don

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don Benson said:
Joe,

There is a clutch that J-Rod has given a :thumb: on. It is from Australia, and apparently has been in use over there for several years on some very high HP cars that have seen severe time on the strip.

It is now "over here" and is under a $1000. You might give the boys at ECS a call, as they have just installed one on a 434 and are in the process of breaking it in. They should be able to give you some first hand impressions.

Don

We'll see if it gets to that Don. I won't have to call them, they'll call me after they diagnose the problem. :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
FiveOJoe said:
We'll see if it gets to that Don. I won't have to call them, they'll call me after they diagnose the problem. :cheers: :cheers:
Keep us posted Joe, interested to see how it all works out. Good Luck.

·
Registered
993 Posts
FiveOJoe said:
The verdict is in!! It's a clutch. :yeadog: :yeadog: Decision time.
Joe sorry to hear about the clutch but please stay away from the exedy. they are having major problems with cars in our hp and trq range :flaming: :flaming: mine lasted about 800 miles with no track time :flaming: and there customer service sucks they want 4000.00 for the new triple disc clutch which is what we would need.there are alot of clutches out there that are a lot cheaper. i am running the cartek clutch that is very good.if it will hold up to Brent's hard runs it should be good for us.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1018964&highlight=exedyhere is just one thread from the other forum there are many more. anything but exedy

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
Got the SPEC Stage 3 in mine Joe and no problems so far.

I'd go with the SPEC or the new one J-Rod has endoresed. He would know better than anyone.

Joe

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
tony3331 said:
Joe sorry to hear about the clutch but please stay away from the exedy. they are having major problems with cars in our hp and trq range :flaming: :flaming: mine lasted about 800 miles with no track time :flaming: and there customer service sucks they want 4000.00 for the new triple disc clutch which is what we would need.there are alot of clutches out there that are a lot cheaper. i am running the cartek clutch that is very good.if it will hold up to Brent's hard runs it should be good for us.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1018964&highlight=exedyhere is just one thread from the other forum there are many more. anything but exedy
I have to agree with Tony on this one. Brent and Robz both have the Cartek clutch and have many hard passes on it, as have others. Knowing what I know now about the Excedy and all the problems that many have had I'd have opted for something else (which would also have been less expensive :( ) at the time. The new Aussie clutch also appears to have a good pedigree based on its use over in the Outback and the testing that J-Rod has done so far.

Don

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The Aussie Clutch is the one to look into. You can be our test case. :cheers:

·
Registered
164 Posts
yeah,i need a clutch too.chris at ecs told me to give him a call back by the end of the week and he'll give me his impressions of the aussie clutch.joe,how come you dont wanna go with the mcleod again?

·
Registered
670 Posts
If your talking about Daikin from downunder, aren't they the same as Exedy from Japan now?

"As of January 2004 Daikin Clutch Australia Pty Ltd has changed its name to
EXEDY Australia Pty Ltd.

As you are no doubt aware, Daikin Clutch Australia Pty Ltd is a subsidiary of EXEDY Corporation of Japan.We have therefore changed our name to unify with our group companies throughout the world in promoting the EXEDY brand.

Many Daikin Clutch Australia customers will associate the Daikin Clutch brand with superior product qualityand reliability as a result of many years as the premium clutch product available in Australia and New Zealand. We expect that over time, that association will shift to EXEDY as we progressively partner our quality product with the EXEDY brand."

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I'm in the same boat, need a clutch and don't know what to do. For me I think it's between the Cartek and Spec 3, but I have not looked into the aussie yet. Some poeple that have the Spec love it have had no problems, others not so much. I drove Tony's car with the Cartek and the clutch felt great, and if it can handle his power/tq with no slip or rattle, I'm sure it can handle mine. I'm looking to spend around 1,000 -1,500 installed.

Gotta have it done before Hooter's...

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have a Carteck unit with an aliumin flywheel laying on the shelf. It' available, it has about 100 miles on it. We changed to a three disk 5.5" quarter master with only a flex plate(not a street car).

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The Aussie clutch is textralia and can be found at textralia.com :z:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
case2307 said:
I really like my spec clutch. The pedal is a little stiffer on the spec than the Mcleod though. :cheers:
DTE sold me one that was so out of balance that it shook at idle. He wanted me to beg SPEC to fix it.. and wouldn't take it back. If I wanted to deal with SPEC I would have bought it from them.

I called the boys a Carolina clutch and got an Exedy. It went in easily and had less vibe than the stock clutch. No chatter, works like a bear trap.

That experience and a vendor that didn't want to help me left me with a bad taste.

Zed.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts