Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, LAPD says Hawk pads are on backorder, and the track is calling Friday. I'm not going to have new pads for the weekend. However...

I have my old ones from the last DE I did there. They are stock Z06 pads, with plenty of meat in them. They just got very hot last time. The rotors are pretty good, and should handle a day of track time without warping, but I have spares if it happens. My mechanic suggested that I save the old pads to use at the next DE.

The question is: Do I run the old pads or the new ones (the ones on the car)? What happens to stock pads when they get that hot?
Thanks.
--Yak

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Why don't you call up Carbotech and get a set of their pads (XP9 or so).

I ordered a set for the WRX last monday, ordered 3 day select, the arrived friday, went in sat. And from what I've read, they're a better pad than the hawks anyway.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a bad idea, except that my budget is limited. I just paid LAPD quite a bit for those Hawks.

How are Carbotech pads on rotors? I heard they wore on 'em a bit harder.

--Yak

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
dunno, rotors are cheap

I just put my first set in, so we'll see.

Get LAPD to refund you, and order the carbotechs. They shouldnt have charged your card for somethign that was backordered anyway.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Carbotech is running slow now too, I just ordered today and it will be 2 weeks. I think everyone is busy filling Runoffs orders.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yakisoba said:
How are Carbotech pads on rotors? I heard they wore on 'em a bit harder.
Seeing how expensive pads are versus cheap rotors, I'd much rather have the rotors go versus the pads.

I used Hawk Blues once and they worked great, but they left a toxic waste dump all over my car which was very hard to remove; I had to use a clay-bar to do so.

The last two times out at Road America (..very hard on brakes) I have been using Carbotech's and like 'em. Not only that, the residual brake debris is easily removed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts