Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the motor running, hood open, in neutral (without foot on clutch), I hear a "clunk" noise as the engine stops.
I am considering buying this 2002,Z06 in perfect condition with 16k, he owner claims "they all do that"

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
He is correct. It's the driveshaft spinning down. Sounds sort of like rocks banging around in a tin can.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have that noise as well. If I drive a couple of days in a row, it doesn't sound as loud for some reason.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Just push the clutch in and it doesnt make the noise at least on mine.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
schnell76 said:
Yup..........Thats the way to shut it up :yeadog:
and shut it down!

Charlie

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got my 01 and it does the same thing, freaked me out. However I do have another sound that I can hear at low RPM, around 2000 - 2500 that seems to be coming from the engine compartment. It is a flutter type sound, almost like it is a slight ping in the exhaust. The dealer thought it maybe just some bad gas because the car was a northern car brought down to the hot and humid south. I have run a few tanks of Chevron through it already and still there. Any idea what this sound is? I am having a hard time noticing if it speeds up with the increase of RPM because it is hard to hear over the engine any higher up. Maybe valve clatter?

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
David Joor said:
I just got my 01 and it does the same thing, freaked me out. However I do have another sound that I can hear at low RPM, around 2000 - 2500 that seems to be coming from the engine compartment. It is a flutter type sound, almost like it is a slight ping in the exhaust. The dealer thought it maybe just some bad gas because the car was a northern car brought down to the hot and humid south. I have run a few tanks of Chevron through it already and still there. Any idea what this sound is? I am having a hard time noticing if it speeds up with the increase of RPM because it is hard to hear over the engine any higher up. Maybe valve clatter?
Hey David...welcome to the forum.

Are you sure you aren't hearing the exhaust "jingle" that just about EVERY car has. It's tough to diagnose without actually hearing it. The "bad gas" scenario from the dealer is probably just another 'know-nothing/do-nothing' "mechanic" passing the buck (God forbid they should actually find out what that noise is you're hearing)! :roll:

I'd have another Z owner listen to it and see if it's something common to both cars...and maybe a lot of cars.

Good luck.

Charlie

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for the info. I always wondered about this and the, for lack of a better way of putting it, smell that a hard driven Z06 has.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've had a "jingle" sometimes that I can hear if I listen between the back of the front tire and the fender and also between the front of the rear tire and the fender.

Seems to be random. I'll have them check to see if anything is loose when I get the oil changed.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Mine has a slight clunk too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts