Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://web.camaross.com/bb/Forum16/HTML/041300.hOceanside drag race ends fatally
(06/24/01) Police say that 27-year-old Kevin Heart of Malverne raced his Corvette against the Lambourgini of 30-year-old Michael Vasapolli on Lawson Boulevard in Oceanside.

Witnesses told police the two men had been weaving in and out of traffic for a number of blocks. As they approached the corner of Lawson and Montgomery Boulevard, the Lambourgini cut into the northbound lane and struck a 2000 Volvo head-on.

Both Vassapolli and the Volvo's driver 43-year-old Glenn Jacofsky of Oceanside died at the scene. Police say that Heart's Corvette then lost control and hit a parked school bus.

Vasapolli's wife who was a passenger in the Lambourgini was taken to Long Beach Medical Center. The extent of her injuries were not immediately known. Heart was also taken to an area hospital and the extent of his injuries was also not immediately known.

News 12 Long Island's Bill Mooney reports from the scene of the accident.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take it easy out there guys !!!

Cecil

·
Registered
65 Posts
An associate of mine @ work had a picture of what was left of the Lambo and it was not good. Wedge shape of Lambo catapulted the Square Car and it apparently turned over 3 times. Anybody who believes the Volvo propaganda about super safe car is dreaming. The area that it happened is famous for street racing but @ 3 in the afternoon? Jeeez where can these peoples brains be? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
fwiw, I can't get that link to work. I suppose that's what I get for using a 56k modem. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Vince

·
Registered
0 Posts

On 2001-06-25 17:06, Manatee spewed forth this drivel:
fwiw, I can't get that link to work. I suppose that's what I get for using a 56k modem. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Vince
I can't get it to work either, and I have DSL.

·
Registered
619 Posts
What a way to waste nearly $300K. These types of idots give the regular sportscar drivers a bad name. These types of accidents also raise our insurance rates.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Don't they have racetracks anywhere near these guys? Maybe I'm a wimp, but these cars are too F&%&[email protected] fast to be street racing at 3 in the afternoon with wifes in the car.

I'm curious, is it just me or does it seem like the more time someone spends on a racetrack, the more responsibly they drive on the street? It also seems to work in reverse, in particular with high horsepower cars.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i lived on long island in 1965 a friend of mine hit a pole racing his vette on the same road (he is not with the living anymore)
back then it was all swamp now its all shopping centers its in a area where people
have MORE MONEY THAN BRAINS

·
Registered
576 Posts
As Clint once said "A man has got to know his limits." Neither one of these bozos had any clue how short their limits were. My heart breaks for the innocent Volvo driver and his family. This is similar to the drunks who survive fatal accidents with innocent victims.

GOLD72

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
How sad!

Save it for the track guys!

Zippy /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
I've never understood why people street race when track time is available and you will generally only be risking yourself and car. Many of us will do a third gear run to redline with a buddy now and then, but its is always on a rural controlled access highway, NO other cars around, broad daylight, and no curves. Nothing but a short test of hp, not driving skill. Street racing like these guys did is insane. Weaving traffic, pulling into oncoming traffic, NUTS!

·
Registered
528 Posts
What a 30 yrs old doing in a $300K+ 2001 Lamborghini (0-60 in 3.4 sec)? Must be from a big inheritance. Too bad, he didn't have enough time to enjoy..... Neither does the Corvette driver, maybe he'll learn a lesson after serving time. You know what do they say about prison too don't you? You come in as a tight end, you get out as a wide receiver.......J/K....

I feel sorry for the wifes; probably almost having heart attacks while their husbands are racing, and then boom, it happens. What the hell do people have to prove, weaving in and out of traffic? To see who has more guts? I guess, now they saw who has more guts spilled........

·
Registered
201 Posts
Only place I ever push the limits is highway onramps.. Nice long stretch of road that nobody will ever bother you on.. Just a quick brake test at the end..

Street racing is stupid.

·
Registered
245 Posts
That is a shame /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Preaching to the choir here.

No matter how much people know something is dangerous, they will continue to do it because they feel "it won't happen to me".

Dumb Dumb Dumb. Dead Dead Dead.

Save it for the track.

Vince

1 - 20 of 20 Posts