Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pictures: http://www.geocities.com/pmontelo/z06/z06.html
or from my slow backup website: http://montelo.com/z06/z06.htm

Wow, what a day! At 2:30am Wednesday morning, I finally decided that there was no point in trying to sleep anymore! By 3:45am, the family and me were on the road headed for Dearborn to pickup the new Z! :D With me was my wife Laurie, and my three co-pilots, my sons Michael, Joseph, and Anthony.

When we got there at around 8:30, we were immediately drawn to the car parked right up front at the dealership. I couldn’t believe how perfect the car was! The only flaw I could find, and I looked everywhere twice, was a 1-inch long tar mark underneath the car on the bottom of the rocker panel.

No cracked body panels this time; the car looked flawless! I’m sure it was due to some of Zippy’s good fortune rubbing off on me! ;) The dealer did a great job prepping the car; it had 10 miles on the clock when I got there. Next, my salesman took off the window sticker and I went for a quick test drive around the block to make sure everything felt OK. Wow is the 2002 nice! As everyone has said already, the exhaust is really sweet! The exhaust is the best stereo system in the car by far. Inside, the interior materials seem to have been improved. From what I remember, in the 2001 Z06 I test drove, the headliner was nothing more than a piece of material glued directly to the roof. In the 2002, it’s padded with sound deadening material. It also looks as if there is more sound insulation in the back as well.

After the initial examination outside of the car, we went inside the dealership to close the deal. My salesman did a great job taking care of me. He even gave each of my sons a Z06 poster for their rooms and a C5 emblem pin. About an hour later, the deal was done, we shook hands and me and the family were headed back home!

With three hundred miles to go, and three co-pilots to switch off every 100 miles, it was a ton of fun! A nice thing about the C5 is that the kids can see out of it so much better than a C4 (with the exception of my littlest co-pilot).

It was a gorgeous mid-80s sunny day. Since the Z wasn’t broken in, I was definitely taking it real easy. I tried to keep the RPMs varied and shifted between 5th and 6th a lot on the way home. The exhaust starts to make some really sweet sounds around 3000 RPM; racecar sounds as my oldest son says.

The C5 is really a joy to drive. It’s rock solid; not a squeak or rattle anywhere. Traffic was pretty clear most of the way home, and we probably averaged around 70 MPH. The engine temp stayed at 196 degrees all the way home. The oil temp was around 216 degrees with between 44-56 PSI oil of pressure. It was a nice easy cruise all the way home.

The only thing that sucked was that part of I-94 W was under construction. The Z had a fresh coat of tar all over the place when I got home. :( *Fortunately*, all the tar came off easily with regular car suds and warm water. I gave the car a nice sponge bath with a super soft lambskin mitt, and dried with a lambskin chamois. Only lambskin for my baby ;) .

Wow does this car look beautiful! Millennium Yellow is incredible! I finally put the car to bed at around 9pm after its first bath. I can’t remember the last time I’ve smiled this much in my life! I’ve got a feeling my poor C4 isn’t going to see much use until winter.

More on the car after it’s broken in!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Wow!!! WOW!! Great car and great pics. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear you stole my new car. Looks identical to the one I'll be picking up in a few days. You've just driven my excitement level up a few more notches!!!!
Best of luck and hope to see ya down the road!
:-D :-D :-D
Bob

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Very Very nice pics! Any other factory markings besides the sequence number on the tire? That is pretty cool.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Great pics and story. Thanks for sharing! :cheers:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Ditto!! Great story....and family. Congrats!!:grin:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Pat,

I know that car!:) Enjoyed your post and pictures! It is nice to share your success with that good looking family too!

Congrats.

Mark

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Congratulations on the new car! :D It's nice to relive the excitement of the first miles - which happens the next time and then the next...

In the 2001 Z06 I test drove, the headliner was nothing more than a thin piece of material glued directly to the roof. In the 2002, it’s nicely padded with sound deadening material. It also looks as if there is more sound insulation in the back as well.
I went out and looked, my 2001 has a pretty nice headliner, and I'm pretty sure the insulation is the same too. Perhaps we can chalk this up to happy delirium.! :D

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Zoomin said:
I went out and looked, my 2001 has a pretty nice headliner, and I'm pretty sure the insulation is the same too. Perhaps we can chalk this up to happy delirium.! :D [/B]
Hey man, with no sleep I was beyond delirium ;) - I didn't mean to disrespect the 2001, I've only been in one and it was for a 20 minute test drive/joy ride - so my memory is highly suspect! :guiness: I'll have to check out the differences, if any, at the Fun Fest next month. Someone like Les with both an '01 and '02 is obviously going to be a lot better authority than me.

Frank, was it the vowel at the end of my last name that gave me away? :lol: Actually, I'm just a computer geek / gear head at heart. I'm not *hooked up* in the way you mention.

MiZ06,
The sequence number on the passenger side rear tire is the only # I know about.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
My wife saw your pics and is breathless---the shot of the badge is the best!---She asked me....are we gonna get one of those?---I exclaimed YES!--but Blue---I thought we were talking about the Z she was talking about children, anyway----she didn't want blue kids...so we will settle for a blue car and shoot for a yellow kid.
--Jeff & Chantal Nation

PS--She just wants to know where the child seat will go....suggestions?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Great pics. Some of the best I've seen yet of a Z06 up close and personal. What, no Mama to complete the family album?

CONGRATS Pat!!!

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
jnation said:
My wife saw your pics and is breathless---the shot of the badge is the best!---She asked me....are we gonna get one of those?---I exclaimed YES!--but Blue---I thought we were talking about the Z she was talking about children, anyway----she didn't want blue kids...so we will settle for a blue car and shoot for a yellow kid.
--Jeff & Chantal Nation

PS--She just wants to know where the child seat will go....suggestions?
:lol: Jeff, she will love the car anyway! The kids are great too.
As far as where to put the child seat, on my '02,
the directions say put them in the back seat:

:lol: apparently the sticker comes from the GM generic parts bin. :lol:

Seriously, the passenger side air bag must be disabled for children.
The seats do have provisions for child safety seats, but it's best to put the newborns in a big vehicle...
A Suburban is great for the pit-crews and towing other toys ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts