Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was speaking to one of the GM reps at Carlisle, before getting my hardtop. We were discussing the beginnings of the hardtop. He was telling me, which made a lot of sense, that GM was introducing the hardtop as a new model series, because the Z06 was already in the works. He said that they wanted to see how the new model would go for two years, and if it was a winner, they would have added it to the line with the coupe and vert, and the Z06 would have been the high performance option of the hardtop. Apparantly, as we can see, the hardtop didn't take off well, and a little over 6,000 were produced for the two years. I guess its apparant what the marketing strategy was, in hindsight.

He also told me that the they would have started out with a base model (hardtop), and if it was a success, you could have added options and goodies to it, even an automatic transmission. If this wasn't enough, then you would have the option of the Z06 package.

So, my point is that I don't think we are the humble beginnings of the Z06, we are the humble beginnings of a whole new model.

What makes us a lot different than the Z06, is that we were a failure, and the Z06 a success. I guess there's a cost factor where they didn't want to lose money by dropping the hardtop style, and they covered themselves before actually producing the Z06. It's getting a feel for the market.

So I guess we really are an oddity, and that's why hardtops are different. Hardtop is the best of both worlds.:)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The FRC is neither humble nor was the Z06 a foregone conclusion.

Why do I say this? It's the Billy Bob originally rolled into the program.

Cloth seats and roll-up windows were on the plate in the beginning.

Wheel To Wheel was later contracted to make a performance excercise on the logical platform, IOW, the lightest of the 'vettes.

THAT excercise lead to the Z06 package.

The "kit" or "box" racecar program that went into World Challenge and to a very minor degree SCCA "T1" was the natural stomping ground for the hardtop.

I can remember when the hardtop was to be a 327, roll-up window, cloth seated "stripper".

The '99 and the '00 are special. Some touted histories are a bit clouded.

What I'm saying one might find to be the closer to the truth.

I went for the FRC fully knowing of the upcomming Z06.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I loved all 3 of my FRC's. First time I saw an FRC, I had to get one...two!! :lol: I had heard that there was going to be a hi-po FRC in the works and that the FRC was always meant to be the performance platform. :-? Turned out to be true!! Even if there wasn't a Z06, I would still have an FRC.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Well said Frank... That's exactly the way I feel... BTW... Joey says there's a cold air induction unit in my "immediate" future!:cheers:

Looks like the Mods have begun!:lol:

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Re: Re: The humble beginnings of the Z06?

1fastdog said:
The FRC is neither humble nor was the Z06 a foregone conclusion.

I can remember when the hardtop was to be a 327, roll-up window, cloth seated "stripper".

The '99 and the '00 are special. Some touted histories are a bit clouded.

What I'm saying one might find to be the closer to the truth.

I went for the FRC fully knowing of the upcomming Z06.
Hi 1fastdog,

Was that 327 based on the original 327 or a downsized 350? I had one many years ago in a 64 Chevelle, and despite the fact everyone esle called it a "Mouse Motor", it was a strong stormer!
:cheers:

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Re: Re: Re: The humble beginnings of the Z06?

sigung86 said:

Hi 1fastdog,

Was that 327 based on the original 327 or a downsized 350? I had one many years ago in a 64 Chevelle, and despite the fact everyone esle called it a "Mouse Motor", it was a strong stormer!
:cheers:

Thanks,

Dan
5.3l lower performance, which as I understand, was ruled out fairly early. The 327 was closer to being a "square" motor, meaning bore close to the size of the stroke.

A pal of mine has a 331c.i. motor that is mildly tuned @ 790HP..

We may both agree that you have to spin a smallblock pretty hard to make 790, but in Super Truck you don't even have a ghost of a chance with 790HP. He has a lot of fun bracket racing it as it will run a consistant 7.80 all day long. Super Truck, on the other hand is well sub 7.40's to even hope to get to the ladder.

The smallblock, to me, is a "better" race motor than the Rat motor. I feel it will run harder, longer. No question a bigblock will torque you where ya wanna go, but the smallblock is where it's at with pushrods and endurance roadracing.... Other than CanAM weight cars over a short sprint distance.

The Gen III smallblock is a very good motor that can make 450-500 HP in relatively mild tune and still have a wide torque curve.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts