Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have removed "the thread" and will remove ANY vendor who decides that they wish to continue this nonsense, without warning.

With that said, we WILL get to the bottom of this.

Stay tuned.

JC

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, it's clear that Jim has some supporters and some people who contest his findings. And that is fine, people have a right to be curious if they can reproduce what Jim has advertised.

I think that if we can do an independent test of the claim, then all of this is a bygone.

Z06Vette.com will try to find an 02 owner willing to purchase the Sidewinder and we will march on down to the local Dynojet facility and videotape the entire process with as many forum members that are willing to attend.

I think that this should eliminate any further forum disruptions.....

As for what can and can't be said in a thread, we're not trying to limit reasonable debate, but we won't stand for any vendor getting beat up by people who don't have dyno sheets and any that do should act in a responsible and mature manner. I know RFC has a sheet that says he only got 6-8HP from even the Vortex. Maybe GM didn't leave anything on the table, maybe something went wrong, who knows.

We only want to get to the bottom of this issue and put it to rest.

Are all of you comfortable with the above?

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
N4C5S said:
Well, it's clear that Jim has some supporters and some people who contest his findings. And that is fine, people have a right to be curious if they can reproduce what Jim has advertised.

I think that if we can do an independent test of the claim, then all of this is a bygone.

Z06Vette.com will try to find an 02 owner willing to purchase the Sidewinder and we will march on down to the local Dynojet facility and videotape the entire process with as many forum members that are willing to attend.

I think that this should eliminate any further forum disruptions.....

As for what can and can't be said in a thread, we're not trying to limit reasonable debate, but we won't stand for any vendor getting beat up by people who don't have dyno sheets and any that do should act in a responsible and mature manner. I know RFC has a sheet that says he only got 6-8HP from even the Vortex. Maybe GM didn't leave anything on the table, maybe something went wrong, who knows.

We only want to get to the bottom of this issue and put it to rest.

Are all of you comfortable with the above?
Sure.

RG

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Hi JC,

Keep an eye on the Dyno sheets that should be posted from the New England dyno day that took place last saturday (9/29/01). I was a little disappointed in my TRIC pulls compared to the Donalson Blackwing. I'll be sending you my dyno sheet to be posted tonight. Dan will be posting his when he gets a chance.

Thanks,
Dave:cheers:

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good Dave, this is the info we need. Elaborate a little on the TRIC vs Donaldson pulls.....Were these pulls on the same car?

JC

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Sounds like a good approach. Will be very interested to hear results. I also have a donaldson blackwing (which gained almost nithing by the way 2rwhp).
I have been eyeballing the haltech and would love to hear from someone who tested it vs. donaldson.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Any delta in between the two could be augmented by a few track runs as well.

Not all is tied to the dyno, as a lot of people mentioned lately.

There are guys running low, low 12's with a panel filter as air filter mod. Wondewr if they could break 12 with a different unit?

Ranger is running low 12's with 345 rwhp. I get that info from the dyno numbers in his sig:'345 rwhp 349 rwtq at 13,800 miles'

RG

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Perhaps, assuming driver consistency, the track may show the importance of making good torque over a wide range of rpms, not just impressive peak h/p?

Opinions???

·
Registered
837 Posts
ETs = traction; trap speeds = power

Z06 has enough torque to overpower the stock tires. It appears that the folks making the lowest ETs are those most successful in getiing the car to hook on launch and stay hooked on shifts. Doing both depends on driver skill and how well prepared the particular dragstrip is.

Lot of 02 Z06s are making 350+ rwtq with air intakes. That much power combined with the cooler fall air only accentuate the difficulty of keeping the Z06 hooked through the gears.

If I have any advice to offer the guys driving 02s it's to either (a) go to your regular track and focus on trap speeds or (b) go to the stickiest track in your area on a night it's been sprayed (tracks only spray on certain days) to improve your chance of super ETs.

Or you can go straight to ET Streets. Then you'll only need to worry about your next clutch. :)

Ranger

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Dan A has a red 01 Z06 with roughly the same milage. No mods other than the Blackwing. I believe his best pull was 356 hp. A half hour later I did my best pull of 341 hp with my black stock 01 Z06 with the TRIC mod. We still have the differences in car break in and physically different Z06s. But I felt that I should have had a pull in the mid to upper 340s. I'm sending my best pull dyno sheet right now JC.

Dave:cheers:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Guys, I dont understand the confusion.

Every car is different!
Every pull is different!
Every dyno is different!

This all over 10hp differences.??
Do you really think that every 5000+ Z06s will respond the same?

With every post that has been written on this its kinda hard to miss this guys.

For those who are just bench racing and having fun its great fun.
Love the idea about having a challenge. Sounds like fun. I have a Black-wing on my car. So if Im around when you do the challenge JC I will come and take my black-wing off and let you use it on the 02.

But for those of you who are dead serious about this. and causing grief.
Get real!
If they post dyno sheets on their product leave them alone.
Just think if we had no vendors. That would kinda suck for all who cant turn a wrench. And the corvette croud has a bunch of people.
Do you really think you have the knowledge to go against LPE or Henndenesy etcc. They have forgotten more than you will ever know!!

Lets keep it fun!!
If you like it buy it?
If you dont like it dont buy it?
Simple!!

:cheers:
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Lets keep it fun!!
If you like it buy it?
If you dont like it dont buy it?
Simple!!

:cheers:
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: [/B][/QUOTE]

I couldn't have said it better (well maybe:D )

·
Registered
568 Posts
I agree that not all Z's will perform alike. It also seems like there's a fair bit of variation between runs, but we don't know because there isn't a 'control'.

Here's a thought for the challenge - How about a control car that doesn't get changed during the whole thing??? It would be treated just like the other cars (including a re-learn), except no changes would be made.

That would give me more confidence in the result.

In my experience, ram air rules. But the benefits won't be seen on a dyno. In fact, you may see less performance because of loss due ot the longer duct work.

What does the intake manifold pressure look like during a WOT dyno run?? Should we see it go down (via Auto Tap) with the addition of an intake??

·
Registered
89 Posts
My '01 Z pulled 350rwhp and 355rwtrq with 3k mi w/the TRIC, MAG and ported TB. It felt a bit stronger at 8k miles, then mod fever struck and the numbers increased. Stock, on the same Dynojet 248C less than a week earlier, the car was 337rwhp/trq. The correction factor on the TRIC pulls was a tough 0.96.

My new goal is to ROLL the dyno out of the floor with my 427 in a couple weeks! Just kidding--sort of!

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Brian I like the control idea.......BADASS, we might take you up on the blackwing.......

JC

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Put up or shut up

Numbers numbers numbers ...

Bring the cars to Beaver Springs Dragway in PA.
Let the clock be the judge. It's not a fast track, it's not pretty, it's not NHRA, it's not even level. But I have $15 for your admission fee if you beat me in heads up .500 tree drag racing.

I'm all stock, just itchin' to chase down another highly modded Z. Bring 'em on ...

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hey "Pro", grew up in Reading, went to college at Lebanon Valley, but been away from the 'ol stompin grounds for a long time. Do you know if Maple Grove is still open? Might take the Z up to Reading area next Spring...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts