Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's Thursday...a beautiful day. Blue skies, cool weather, and best of all my day off. So I decide to take the car out and go to MTI for an oil catch can install. My ride's running great. No battery problems, no lights flickering or DIC acting funny. Stop off at the dry cleaners, get back in the car and WHAM!!!
the battery is DEAD. Yep, two years old this month and without warning the daym thing died... :eek:: The Dealership put in a cheap acid battery under warranty which I will remove and install a Optia 75/25 on Sunday... ;)

Don't go through the hassle of being stranded thinking you can get another two or three months on that two year old battery like I did.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Thanks for the advice Rob...mine's about the same age and I've already seen some funny things happen. My voltage levels drop really low sometimes on startup. Time for a new battery. :thumb:

·
Registered
289 Posts
RobGrnfld said:
It's Thursday...a beautiful day. Blue skies, cool weather, and best of all my day off. So I decide to take the car out and go to MTI for an oil catch can install. My ride's running great. No battery problems, no lights flickering or DIC acting funny. Stop off at the dry cleaners, get back in the car and WHAM!!!
the battery is DEAD. Yep, two years old this month and without warning the daym thing died... :eek:: The Dealership put in a cheap acid battery under warranty which I will remove and install a Optia 75/25 on Sunday... ;)

Don't go through the hassle of being stranded thinking you can get another two or three months on that two year old battery like I did.
You may want to consider going with the 78 size Optima. More power (800cca) than 75 series...& fit is fine Got one in my Z16 & my '95 Impala. I always like to go with the biggest battery that will fit.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Mine died on me almost exactly at 2 years ! It also had no syptoms ! Filled up with gas and went to crank up and nothing ! Had to wrecker it back to the dealer for a new battery !

Rob :D

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Dang, I've had my car for 2 1/2 years. You guys are scaring me. :eek2:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Does the 04 have the same issues. Would a tender help, I keep mine on a tender in the off season.

Don't want to start carrying around a booster pack.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
jrh009 said:
Does the 04 have the same issues. Would a tender help, I keep mine on a tender in the off season.

I don't think they are saying it is really an issue. Only that batteries just last so long. More so I guess because the battery in the Z is rather small. :eek::

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
jrh009 said:

Battery Tenders have proved to double and triple Battery life.
MAW (Motorcycle) sells them for around 40.00 shipped. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Went to the shop to change wheels for a road trip this weekend (It was going to be the first for the season but rain/snow put an end to that.) and the battery had just enough power to unlock the doors. I did the jump start and ran the car wail changing wheels, and took it out for a short (20 mile) ride. It start fine after, but I'm going on over 4 years, so I guess I will get a new (optima red) today and not have the "Dead in the Water/garage" happen to me.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Why do you guys like the Optima Battery? Does it have the lightweight technology like the OEM battery?

Also, is the OEM battery warranted by GM of does it carry a typical sort of battery warranty from the manufacturer (Delco?).

·
Registered
902 Posts
Ok here is some wood for the fire. My Z16 had a few battery issues so when I put it up for winter storage the battery was removed, I intended on replacing the battery in the spring. My daily drivers battery goes bad so I use the Z16 battery in my daily driver a Grand Marquis.
Guess what, NO ISSUES at all.
I called Optima and was told that the 25 is the correct replacement for an 04 Z

Sabot

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
There have been a lot of problems reported on this site from members buying the Optima Red Top battery. They appear to have a quality control issue as several purchased will not hold a charge, even after it is six months old. Do a search on "Optima Red Top" and you will find some interesting information. I am leaning toward the Odyssey #PC925MJT....costs about $40 more, but what's that for a $50K plus machine that deserves to start when you turn the key! FYI. :thumb:

Bob :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Question?

Do the dealers prorate the battery or just give you a new one?

Mine died last week with 18 month on it.I have a couple other items to take it in for otherwise I wouldn't bother.

I'm thinking if they charge list an prorate I could do better with an aftermarket.

Thanks for the info Steve

·
Registered
289 Posts
RobGrnfld said:
Good point JETBLUE...I'm going with the 25 becuase it 's 6 or 7 lbs. lighter.

IT L GO, who carries the Odyssey and what's the weight ?
Hey...what's 6 or 7 lbs. between friends? ;)

If you really wanna get down to it...how about we all diet & hit the treadmill....another 10lbs. right there :idea:

Seriously...unless you're actually racing...for the few extra lbs....i'd rather have the more powerful battery.

·
Registered
289 Posts
rpallas said:
There have been a lot of problems reported on this site from members buying the Optima Red Top battery. They appear to have a quality control issue as several purchased will not hold a charge, even after it is six months old. Do a search on "Optima Red Top" and you will find some interesting information. I am leaning toward the Odyssey #PC925MJT....costs about $40 more, but what's that for a $50K plus machine that deserves to start when you turn the key! FYI. :thumb:

Bob :D
Weird...never heard of any problems with Optimas...I'll take a look.
I think the bottom line is this...no matter what the product or brand...you'll always hear stories of good experiences & bad. Another example would be the Column Lock issue...everyones been saying how great the CL Bypass is...then i read some stories of guys who had electrical & computer problems due to the bypass :jawdrop: Nothing is 100%

·
Registered
372 Posts
Cave Man said:
Dang, I've had my car for 2 1/2 years. You guys are scaring me. :eek2:
Me too ! 2 1/2 years .... no problems yet (knock on wood) ...

- Carter :thumb:

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Well guys/gals I guess it's time for a follow up re my thread...Went to AutoZone, they only had the 35 instead of the newer 25. I had the sales tech put it on a voltmeter and it read 12.55. So, I bought it and made a huge mistake....the daym thing is showing 13.5 to 13.8 on the DIC and at idle sometimes drops down to 12.0 ? Went out for some 60-80mph driving to see if it would charge and found the DIC struggling to get to 13.8 and 13.9 readings.

I should have waited for a newer battery instead of impulse buying to hurry up and get it installed on my day off. :bang:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts