Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though our Z06's are just about the best sounding car on the highway today, and definetly the best sounding car driving off the dealers lot today; there is nothing, nothing like that deep thunderous sound of a six pack of big block A /Prod. Corvettes coming out of the carousel at Nelson Ledges or down the back straight at the Glen on the first lap. You could hear them a minute before you could see them. Then you could feel them as they got closer and all the wax came tumbling out of your ears as they blew past.

It brings shivers to my spine just thinking about it. And those Can-AM McLarens and Lolas with the Reynolds 510 cu in FI putting out 850 HP and 600 ft lbs were just icing on the cake. Granted the Ferraris have their 12 cylinder whine and that is thrilling but it is a different sound; and I do respect them with all that mass of metal parts whirling around at 17,000 RPM in close proximitry to each other, just amazing.

But there is still nothing like a big block Corvette with open Hooker side pipes. I had the fortunate experience lately to arrive at an autocross twice this year and have 2 older 427 Vettes entered in the BSP and Mod classes. I was thrilled to death just to be there and watch and listen to them. Thank you GOD. One last time before I die!. To top it off one of the Vettes got a 3 cone penalty; not because he knocked them over but because the exhaust from the side pipes blew them out of the chalk box and off the course under full acceleration down the start chute. NOW THAT'S POWER!!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
your right there is nothing like the sound of a big block chevy
i had a 68 L88 powered camaro man do i miss that car!
ill tell you another engine that had a sound all its own 409 chev
a friend of mine had a 62 go along in first gear and nail it- cut in those dual quads the front end would lift about a foot(not a wheely just suspension travel) what a ride!! :) :) :) :) :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts