Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the latest (November) Vette Magazine, there is an advertisement for a Vararam. Looks interesting. Haven't seen it mentioned (unless I missed it). Looked up the web site (www.vararam.com) but is under construction. Anybody know anything about this?? They claim up to 35bhp from a C-5...I know, I know, probably :bs: I also wonder about water injestion. In the Pacific NorthWet, that could be a problem :(

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
If its a 'true' ram-air system that actually raises the pressure in the airbox at speeds, then it could theoretically produce 35 HP at high speed (like 160~170 MPH).

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
There was a thread on this awhile back and I recall the result was depressing.

Even if exposed to high pressure air in front of the nose, at 150+ it only amounted to about .3 to .4 psi.........

JC

·
Registered
396 Posts
The only ram-air is forced air N20,blower,turbo. Dont belive the ram-air :bs: . Cold air no probem ram-air. I dont think so.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
At 170 MPH the stagnation pressure is ~0.5 psi which is ~1 inHg. The stagnation pressure is calculated from some good old fluid dynamics equations :D.

If you run this added 1 inHg pressure through the SAE HP correction factor equation, it comes out to a 3.8% increase in power. If a Z was putting down 350 RWHP on a dyno (no ram-air) then it would theoretically put down 350 x 1.038 = 363.3, a difference of 13.3 RWHP due just to the ram-air effect. So you see, it DOES make a difference.

If the mentioned intake system gave a gain of say 22 HP due to its better breathing, then added 13 more HP at 150 MPH, then they could claim it adds 35 HP at 150 MPH.

Sure, ram-air is peanuts compared to forced induction, but it does work.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
BADASSZ06 said:
The only ram-air is forced air N20,blower,turbo. Dont belive the ram-air :bs: . Cold air no probem ram-air. I dont think so.
BadAssZ06 has it right on the money. There are a lot of these aftermarket ram air, or just free flowing intake systems that only serve to suck money from your bank account. I have a Blackwing, and although it is a better filter than the stock filter, it does little, if anything to improve performance.

:eek:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I've only see one real ram-air intake system for the C5 -- forgot who made it -- it was discussed some time ago on corvettforum.com with pics of the setup.

It had a separate dedicated intake duct that air coming into the nose went directly into, which took full advantage of the stagnation pressure that is developed at high speeds.

I agree that any intake that simply shares the same cavity as the radiator (without its own dedicated, sealed intake duct) will NOT get any built up air pressure because the radiator is not a closed surface (its a sieve). These type of intake systems are basicly just good cold air systems, not true ram-air systems.

True ram-air intake systems really do make a difference at high speeds. All the hyper performance motorcycles (Hayabusa, ZX-12, etc, etc) all use true ram air systems.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
4vettes

Welcome to theForum , as you can see you woke are old dogs up :) , Good people here and lots of right on pertinate info....................

:D :D :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IMA Z06 said:
4vettes

Welcome to theForum , as you can see you woke are old dogs up :) , Good people here and lots of right on pertinate info....................

Thanks for the welcome. I've been lurking for a while now in anticipation of getting my car and have been filling my brain with as much info "from the old dogs" :D as possible. My car has been on order since 3-19-01. I must appologize to you IMA Z06....In trying to come up with a custom plate, I stole your sig line as my 3rd option. I suspect that is what will get put on the car since my 1st choice was Z0-6 (which I saw on a car last Tuesday) and my second choice was ZEE 06, also somewhat obvious. Hope you don't mind.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
flattered

4vettes said:
IMA Z06 said:
4vettes

Thanks for the welcome. I've been lurking for a while now in anticipation of getting my car and have been filling my brain with as much info "from the old dogs" :D as possible. My car has been on order since 3-19-01. I must appologize to you IMA Z06....In trying to come up with a custom plate, I stole your sig line as my 3rd option. I suspect that is what will get put on the car since my 1st choice was Z0-6 (which I saw on a car last Tuesday) and my second choice was ZEE 06, also somewhat obvious. Hope you don't mind.
4vettes,

No problimo, just dont try it in CT as that is my plate:-D :-D :-D

·
Registered
396 Posts
At high speeds the air bubble formed around you car is about 1.5-2 feet above you car like the windshield. most of the air is moved around the car not underneath. The only postion that would be able to gain ~.5psi (doubtful) would be a couple of feet in front of the car or a couple of feet above the car. Then you have to take into effect the size,shape etc..of the opening. As I said NO ram Air effect.

JC, come to 75/80 the 15th and you can show what that haltech does. Im sure we will see atleast a couple different setups. Plus you could bring your Dig cam and get pics of the time slips, cars etc..

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
4vettes, you should retitle this post, "ulitmate patience". Did you say, you ordered your Z06 on 3-19-01, but you are STILL WAITING for it to be delivered??? Oh man, you are one patient dude!!!:D

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
BADASSZ06 said:
At high speeds the air bubble formed around you car is about 1.5-2 feet above you car like the windshield. most of the air is moved around the car not underneath. The only postion that would be able to gain ~.5psi (doubtful) would be a couple of feet in front of the car or a couple of feet above the car. Then you have to take into effect the size,shape etc..of the opening. As I said NO ram Air effect.
No disrespect, but I disagree. At 150 MPH there is no 'bubble' around the very leading edge of the nose. If this was the case, the hood wouldn't want to blow off the car from the air pressure pushing it up from the engine compartment at these speeds, and there wouldn't be any airflow through the radiator. If you put a pitot tube in the front part of the nose opening I'll bet you get some pretty clean air there, and probably all of the stagnation air pressure that is potential at 150 MPH. Plus, realize that the Cd is ~0.30 for a Vette. Thats pretty 'slick', which means the air moving arond the nose of the car is not turbulant, and hence there can be no 'bubble' -- maybe at Mach 0.98, but not at 150 MPH.

People have put accurate pressue sensors inside the airbox of the Hayabusa motorcycle and actually measured the ram-air pressure in the airbox at various speeds. The phenomina is real. The airflow at the nose of the Vette will be no different than at the nose of an aerodynamic fairing on a motorcycle.

Keep in mind that the ram-air system I saw advettised has its own dedicated/sealed duct that had its opening positioned right at the leading egde of the main nose opening on the nose of the car. It was positioned where it would get full velocity of the free air stream.

·
Registered
122 Posts
GM Bra

I just picked up a GM bra . Quality quite good -good price but confusing directions, and you have to replace screws and plastic pins with snaps but that got worked out.
However heres a warning that if you have installed the extra hood seal you will have to now remove it as you run the risk of forcing the front edge of the hood up. Just not enough room for the eal and the two pcs of the bra to squeeze in.

:eek:
ZEDOH6

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
I saw a pic of this new system and it appears to be an air tight duct from the Z06 screen area on the nose directly to a sealed air box sitting in the same place as the factory airbox. In other words, the only air would come from the area of the screens and that air would be delivered by a sealed passage to the sealed airbox. Now as to whether this would create a ram effect, I have no idea because I don't know the airflow around that area of the nose. What I do know is that I scrape many bugs from those screens. ;)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Ripped no disrespect taken. I love discussions like this. everyone learns a lot by looking at a question in many different ways. As far as the bubble goes maybe I exagerated a little :D . I would bet though at 150+ their would be a low pressure bubble from the nose to the top of the roof. I can see maybe a ram air ket like the c4s at the plate in front of the car. But it would have to be totally sealed etc..

When I was talking about moving the air around the car, their def has to be some going to the rad. but the grunt of it is going around. I have had some classes with some Indy guys and thier goal is to create a vacum underneath the car. This keeps the thing planted on the pavement. by doing this they can keep the drag down, by not using as much downforce.

You are prob right about the smooth air right at the nose. It would be interesting to see Gm's testing docs in the wind tunnel.

But In general none of the after market air intakes will create any pressure. And If their was one which did, their would be no difference in track times. The amount of time spent at 150+mph and so many other varibles would be more important. I dont think anyone could even test it accurate enough. great chat . :cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts