Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like every time I get caught in the rain I seem to find another water leak somewhere in the Z. :bmad: I have had it in the shop a few times for this problem but it seems to get worse every time. I hate to take it to a dealer because they just seem to scratch it or cause more damage to the lower pannels or some other part of rhe car. :flaming: I have found the "new" water leak on the passenger side windshield weatherstripping. It is not sealing to the glass. I belive I can fix this myself by applying some weatherstrip adheasive to the back of the strip without having to take off the entire plastic backing. Has anyone attemped this? Any suggestions? My 3/36 is up so I am Not going to the dealer besides their service dept. sucks! Thanks! :usa:

·
21,378 Posts
I feel your pain. Sounds like they're just making the problems worse. Maybe you could find another dealer?

Thankfully, this is one problem I haven't encountered yet.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Been there done that... I had leaks EVERYWHERE imaginable- water in the floor board, leaking from the rear glass, water running down the speaker grille, A-pillar...the list goes on and on.

Fortunately, I have a fairly good thing going w/ a local dealer svc dept and they were able to fix them all for me over 5+ days and 2-3 trips. It's not perfect workmanship but at least it stopped the leaks.

No firsthand experience with replacing the weatherstrip you speak of but I know that was one of the "adjustments" the svc tech performed on mine.

Good luck.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am on the market for a 2002 Z06, and I can't believe they leak like that. A reasonable person would expect that a $50,000 sportscar would stay watertight for at least four years after it was built.

I love the Z06, but I am actually having second thoughts about buying one because I expect quality to be much higher.

I don't know what to do

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
speedy41 said:
I am on the market for a 2002 Z06, and I can't believe they leak like that. A reasonable person would expect that a $50,000 sportscar would stay watertight for at least four years after it was built.

I love the Z06, but I am actually having second thoughts about buying one because I expect quality to be much higher.

I don't know what to do
This is a hit and miss, mostly miss as far as leaks. Don't worry about it, all cars have probs. Pull the trigger on a Z, you won't regret the grin factor they give you.:D

Jack

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is it leaking from the windshield?
You might just ask around as to whos the best glass shop in town and try a few different ones. I wouldnt be supprised if a chevy dealer couldnt get it right.

I had a hard time with a shelby clone. It took 4-5 different places before someone sealed it correctly.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Not sure what you mean by windshield weather stripping. There isn't any. Are you talking about the A-pillar where the side window seals? If so this stip fits in a two piece channel. The side that goes against the body has double sticky back tape on it to make a seal. If you have replaced the windshield recently then this piece was removed. 99% of the time you need a new trim piece because the double sticky back tape that forms the seal is not good once removed. Most places do not know this and believe the A-pillar leaks are because of the weather strip. The weather strip is just for the side window to seal against and not meant to keep rain from going behind it. That is the purpose of the channel seal via the tape. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
speedy41 said:

I don't know what to do

On the other side of the coin I have had an 02 for over 4 years and the only problems I have had was a stitch opening up on the seat and the rocking seat problem. Both fixed under warrenty. Don't give up on a Z. They are awesome.

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
I generally don't drive the Z when torrential downpours are predicted, but got caught in one hell of a thunderstorm en route to the Fest last year - NO LEAKS. If it didn't leak then (wind-driven rain in every direction) it never will :D

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Electron Blue said:
Not sure what you mean by windshield weather stripping. There isn't any. Are you talking about the A-pillar where the side window seals? If so this stip fits in a two piece channel. The side that goes against the body has double sticky back tape on it to make a seal. If you have replaced the windshield recently then this piece was removed. 99% of the time you need a new trim piece because the double sticky back tape that forms the seal is not good once removed. Most places do not know this and believe the A-pillar leaks are because of the weather strip. The weather strip is just for the side window to seal against and not meant to keep rain from going behind it. That is the purpose of the channel seal via the tape. Hope this helps.
Silicone sealer where the tape is will fix the leaks in most cases. A quick and easy fix.:thumb: Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts