Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took delivery of 2007 Z06 Monday, Oct 23 at Cable Dahmer Chev. Kansas City MO.

Salesman Gary Behm gases car and parks it in customer parking next to used cars. I parked my wifes car on one side to at least get protection there. We go into office for paperwork and all I can think about is my $80 k car sitting out in the lot with all manner of traffic around it.

Go to see finance guy. Fills out about 6 forms, and I was charged $389 fee for this crap. Then he tries to scam me by offering tire warranty at $950, I said no way and two seconds later he said how about $450. What a loser.

Go out to Z06 and salesman knew next to nothing about car. This was my first experience with a C6 and when he didn't know how to start it I knew he was incompetent:screwy: . All I wanted to do was leave without body damage to the car. Salesman offered no review of features or functions yet had the nerve to ask for a complete satisfactory when the survey comes. I can't wait for the survey:flaming:

Store owner Marty Dahmer sees me in the hallway while waiting for paperwork and said nothing to me. Not hi, thanks, nothing. And this is the third Z06 I have purchased there. Pitiful.

No wonder people look to foreign brands.

Ron

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
Next time talk to John Roberts at Roberts auto plaza in Platte City. One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. He drove my Z personally off the truck and into the prep and clean up area just so there was no chance of anyone messing anything up.
Paperwork took about 5 minutes.

Took it in last week and had the oil changed at 1000 miles. They had paper on the seats, the floor, everywhere just to make sure no one got anything on or in the car. He stood out there and visited with me while they did the oil change. I was in and out in about 15 minutes.

Great guy and although he only had an allocation of one this year, he really likes the new Z.

Mike

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Rapid Store owner Marty Dahmer sees me in the hallway while waiting for paperwork and said nothing to me. Not hi said:

that is shameful, he should have at least said hi. If it was my dealership I would have taken you to lunch as a way of saying thanks for buying THREE high end cars. What a turd.

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
I bought my last 3 Corvettes, not only from that dealership, but from the salesman too. I wasn't treated even remotely how you were. I'll make sure they hear from me tomorrow.

Btw, a couple others on this board have purchased their cars from the same dealership and salesman. This just isn't right.

Sorry you had such a bad experience. It should have been a very pleasant one for you.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Dealerships for the most part have a bunch of monkeys working at them. High % turnover jobs, no experience needed type of saleseman stuff. Very rare you will find a dealership thats otherwise although they are out there. I rarely take my car in even for warranty work cause the monkeys will fugg it up worse than what it went in for.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Sorry to hear. I don't know how it is in other states, but in cali I don't think they could charge $389 for filling out forms. I guess they were just trying to milk the sale. The fee I've seen is more like $50. When I bought my current car the finance guy was pretty ticked that I didn't want to take him up on his warranty offer. He raised his voice and told me I was a "gambling man". But my salesman was great and so was the store owner. He actually shot the breeze with me for a good 10 mins. I wouldn't miss the finance guy if he moved somewhere else, though. Store owners need to focus more on service. Too bad for that dealer you went to.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Congratulations on the C6Z :thumb: ... sorry to hear of the sorry dealer experience :mah:
Hope it doesn't dampen the ownership experience. :yeadog:
Awaiting pics and drive reports :cheers:

·
Registered
194 Posts
ZO6 AL-X said:
He raised his voice and told me I was a "gambling man".

You should have said "Yes sir your are right, that is why I am driving a new Z06 today and you are selling cars"

I can't stand stupid salesmen! Reminds me of the time I was in a Jaguar dealership and the salesman was trying to convince me that the XJR on the showroom floor was twin supercharged since it said "Supercharged" on each valve cover. I asked him to identify each supercharger and he didn't have a clue. :lol:

·
Registered
331 Posts
I friggen hate buying cars anywhere, dealers for the most part are all the same. They try and sell you the house when it comes time to finace. I just picked up a 06 Magnum SRT8 and they try and sell me extra theft insurance, telling me that 8 of the 12 SRT's they sold in 6 months were stolen. I'm like so what, I have my own car insurance and It covers theft. I don't need yours.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
FASN8N said:
You should have said "Yes sir your are right, that is why I am driving a new Z06 today and you are selling cars"

I can't stand stupid salesmen! Reminds me of the time I was in a Jaguar dealership and the salesman was trying to convince me that the XJR on the showroom floor was twin supercharged since it said "Supercharged" on each valve cover. I asked him to identify each supercharger and he didn't have a clue. :lol:
Sorry you have such a vendetta against car salesmen. I guess that means you don't think much of me, either, since I chose to be one. Personally, I can't stand people that stereotype! I think that there are inexperienced people in all professions. I've had bad advice from financial advisors. Bad advice from doctors. Definitely bad advice from lawyers. Doesn't mean that they are all bad! Good people do the right things for others and their clients. I've made many lasting friendships over the years through my work. And I've done well enough in this profession to own my own Z, as well as several other vehicles, nice home on the water, boat, and to pay for a graduate degree. And to have an opinion like yours aired on an automotive enthusiast forum doesn't quite compute. There are always two sides to every story. The fact that the original cast in this thread was chastised by one and lauded by others would suggest that perhaps we're not getting a totally objective account.Chill, brother, chill!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
On my last 2 Vettes I had the same salesman. He had the dealerships best person do the cleaning, closed it in one of the work areas after it was cleaned until I could pick it up so no one would mess with it. Asked me if I wanted him to do the paperwork or do I want the finance guy to do it. Naturally, I had him do it. Took all of about 5 minutes. No BS and no extra fees. he has made out too, I have now bought 3 cars from him.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I can't say enough good things about my dealer and I didn't even get my new Z06 from him.

Last Friday I had my dealers' service department change the oil. I parked in the driveway when I got back home and four hours later when I put it in the garage I noticed a pool of oil where the car had been parked. I called the service department immediately and the manager said not to drive it and he would send a rollback Monday to pick it up. Monday came and so did the rollback which we carefully loaded my car on and I rode 30 miles back to the dealer. It turned out that the drain plug was not tight and that it had only lost about a pint of oil which looked more like a quart on the garage floor but he even brought me a box of oil dry to take care of that.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
defender said:
Sorry you have such a vendetta against car salesmen. I guess that means you don't think much of me, either, since I chose to be one. Personally, I can't stand people that stereotype! I think that there are inexperienced people in all professions. I've had bad advice from financial advisors. Bad advice from doctors. Definitely bad advice from lawyers. Doesn't mean that they are all bad! Good people do the right things for others and their clients. I've made many lasting friendships over the years through my work. And I've done well enough in this profession to own my own Z, as well as several other vehicles, nice home on the water, boat, and to pay for a graduate degree. And to have an opinion like yours aired on an automotive enthusiast forum doesn't quite compute. There are always two sides to every story. The fact that the original cast in this thread was chastised by one and lauded by others would suggest that perhaps we're not getting a totally objective account.Chill, brother, chill!
PM me. I might buy a car from ya.:)

My favorite chev. car salesman retired. Again. :(

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
defender said:
Sorry you have such a vendetta against car salesmen. I guess that means you don't think much of me, either, since I chose to be one. Personally, I can't stand people that stereotype!
The problem is that the majority of these clowns deserve the reputation of underachieving moron, masquerading as a sales professional. Most folks buying these cars have not developed the means to do so by being slackers. To be taken for granted or to be treated to a display of product ignorance simply reinforces the stereotype you object to. I wouldn't give these clowns the time of day.

It's also reassuring to hear about the salesman that knows his/her product, values the customer and demonstrates a level of professionalism which will result in repeat customers. Sadly, this is all too rare.

Jacob

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
FASN8N said:

Sorry, I think I confused you a bit. The guy who raised his voice at me was the finance guy. I wasn't adding all the extra stuff that he was offering - actually none of it - and that made him mad since he gets commission from it. He said I needed extra protection for "that kind of car" and that's when he called me a "gambling man".

The salesperson I dealt with was actually the Sales Manager. He was 100% cool with me. I got there late in the evening and he offered to make a run for food more than once. The other person I thought was great was the store owner.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tony Skarbic said:
Third delivery you have had their? What brought you back?
I went back for a several reasons. The first two Vettes I purchased at Cable Dahmer were handled by a different salesman, who was no star but much better than the latest experience. Also those two cars were positioned in front of the showroom floor, and out of the way of traffic.

Secondly since the purchase of the 2001 and '02 I had purchased and taken delivery of a new BMW and a new Acura. Those deliveries were conducted in a dedicated garage bay, and every function and feature of these cars was explained at length. So before the BMW and Acura I had no idea how bad Cable Dahmer had actually been for the '01 and '02.

Lastly I had been trying to buy a C6 Z06 since 2006 and local dealers had been either deceptive or unable to deliver. I was desperate and went to Cable Dahmer as a last resort.

The salesman at Cable Dahmer is not alone in responsibility for the terrible delivery. The owner, and sales manager must take responsibility for not providing a dedicated delivery area, and also proper training of the salesman.

If you ever have purchased a BMW or Acura you will know the huge difference in customer service.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts