Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Zapper Report - 2002 versus 2001 Z06

First of all, the trim seems to all fit better and better all of the time. Exterior panels all fit well. Trunklid is a little high in the left hand corner even after turning down the rubber bumper. I’ll see what we can do about that at the dealer, otherwise the fit is getting better with each subsequent car that I get. 1 tiny paint run hidden by the licence plate from the protruding bumps under the front “Corvette” trim plate area. No squeaks of any kind at all. Leather seats with red inserts seem to be well made. Dash has no wrinkles around the hand grip, unlike previous two – good improvement. Wheels look a touch lighter in colour and you can definitely see the spin casting on the backside along with the Speedline embossing.

The HUD is very cool and most entertaining. This is the most visual difference along with the controls on the top left hand side of the instrument cluster. First time I have been able to get one. 98 vert did not have it available, neither did the 01 Z’s. The one thing I do not like is the reflectivity of the dash in the windshield in the morning when the sun is perpendicular to the windshield – you can see the defog opening and the HUD optics too clearly ahead of you. Must be the anti lacerative layer that reflects the HUD image. No issue at night though.

Car arrived within a couple of weeks of the completion date. Very impressive. Still got rocker panel damage, even though it was minimal. No one will accept responsibility except the dealer. All of the components are very shiny and clean. This is the cleanest car I have ever received. Must have been the sunny weather across the continent during the first two weeks of August. The last car arrived at the end of January – the transmission was showing oxidation and corrosion at that point.

Car feels more responsive. I like the steering. It seems quicker and the car feels nimbler. I cannot put my finger on it. It just “feels better” GM did make the turning radius 2 feet shorter on the ’02. Cornering also feels terrific – but then it always was, so I will attribute that to the new rubber and the rear end tuning. The airbox opening is still not as large as I hoped it might be, however it is tucked away nicely in a well protected area.

Brakes are pretty much the same. Excellent, no noise, lots of brake dust though. I have not had to brake hard except for one instance on the way to the Tacoma Corvette Club Concours. Happened to be in the express lane, came around a corner, saw an unmarked car on the right hand shoulder, braked smoothly and surely down to below 60 mph. Guy behind me got pulled over. Thought for sure the guy was coming after me and started to swear about my choice of Red colour. Whew, was I relieved !

We still have the “rolling marbles” drivetrain noise. I do not care for it, I’ll simply have to keep the radio turned up. Clutch does not feel heavier. Shifter appears to have a better plastic boot at the bottom end and does feel fine.

The exhaust is the most noticeable improvement by far. First day it sounded normal. Day 2 there was more burbling. By Day 5 it was definitely much more throaty. I cannot wait to see how she sounds in a year. After the break in period, the exhaust sounds very mean above 4000 RPM. This will be the most audible improvement any of you stepping up from an 01 will notice after a couple of weeks and a thousand clicks. I think its because the pre/pup cats are gone. The aftermarket exhaust manufacturers may not see as many sales for the 2002 models as they may have for the 2001’s, factory exhaust sounds great.

I really do think there is a noticeable improvement in power, handling and engine responsiveness. It is not a vast, dramatic improvement, but rather an incremental refinement akin to that we are accustomed to in receiving from the likes of Porsche or BMW. Must be the new cam, coated pistons, MAFS and airbox opening. The engineers working on this model are definitely going in a direction beneficial to every sports car enthusiast. I truly believe the value built into a Corvette is the best deal on the planet today.

Was it worth my stepping up to a 2002. Absolutely. I happened to strike a rather great deal with my dealer – John Hager at Tom Harris Chevrolet. I gave him the 2001 at the end of May on a handshake deal – no paperwork, in return for his promising me a straight across deal on a 2002, whenever it would arrive. I figured I would be charged a difference on the warranty transfer, paperwork processing and delivery. True to his word, the balance on the invoice he gave me said $0.00.

I walked out of the dealership with the car for a Zero dollar difference. I was ecstatic. I changed the colour and the interior and got all of the 2002 improvements because of all of the information I was able to gather here on the forum. I got lucky with my choice and I am still grinning with the 2 trophies handed me by our local British Columbia Corvette Club from the weekend Show N Shine. Best in class and 2nd overall behind a perennial 65 mint red roadster. Seems a lot of people know about the Z06 from the amount of pointing that was done at the 405 HP notation on the fender.

There are great dealers out there. I happened to find this one years ago. If any of you can get a decent trade in value while demand is strong for the Z06’s, then do step up every year. You will not regret it. No 2001 oil burning worries, no column lock worries, no brake booster worries. Just sore arms and legs from 5 days of Zaino-ing and an adjustment to all of the attention I am getting with the Torch Red colour.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Great post. Just a bit more crazy now waiting for 20 more days to pass!!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
Bob

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thank you for the report, I'll be going from a 2000 A4 Coupe to a EB 2002 Z06 so I should be very happy. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Did I read this right. You traded a 2001 Z06 for a 2002 Z06 strait up with no diff? If this is right then you did the very best deal on the planet. Their is over $1400.00 diff. in the two cars if both of them are still brand new and the dealer makes no profit. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
Great report! Great deal! Owning both years as well, I agree with most of your feedback. Enjoy the '02, FUBU69/LES /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Good report...

Zapper,

I wanted to get your feedback on the shocks and ride... do you feel that the cabin was noticebably quieter due to the softer shocks? Do you feel the car is noticeably smoother and that the new shocks are worth a consideration for upgrade for the 01 guys?

Another opinion on it would be great.

FUBU, what's your opinion on the new shocks? I know you slammed your white one down low so it was noticeably stiffer but any feedback would be cool.

Also would welcome any feedback from anyone that has driven both to make that comparison. Basically, I wanna make sure I wasnt imagining things before I go out and buy these shocks... as soon as this week!

Don

·
Registered
126 Posts
That was a great report ! I'll be trading my 1999 coupe for my 2002 QS Z06 on order. I can't wait ! I am very pleased to hear about all of the improvements /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif and especially the exhaust /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif It will probably be at least another three months until I'll get mine, but I'll just have to wait. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

·
Registered
0 Posts
Nice write up!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

So...do you need me to break it in for you?? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hey Frank... just click it once!

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
A straight across, no money out of pocket deal -- what are you doing, washing cars on the lot for the next 3 years /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif. Hell, ANYONE would make that trade in a heartbeat!!

·
Registered
2,343 Posts

On 2001-08-22 12:56, Zapper spewed forth this drivel:

The Zapper Report - 2002 versus 2001 Z06

Was it worth my stepping up to a 2002. Absolutely. I happened to strike a rather great deal with my dealer – John Hager at Tom Harris Chevrolet. I gave him the 2001 at the end of May on a handshake deal – no paperwork, in return for his promising me a straight across deal on a 2002, whenever it would arrive. I figured I would be charged a difference on the warranty transfer, paperwork processing and delivery. True to his word, the balance on the invoice he gave me said $0.00.

I walked out of the dealership with the car for a Zero dollar difference.
Boy you must be the sharpest guy on the block, or your dealer, the dumbest. Keep doing that every year, and you have a new car every year and never have to pay another $. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Tell me how you worked this magic. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is the short story version. I ordered a loaded 01 as soon as I knew what a Z06 was. Traded in my 98 vert, full load. Car was delivered, at the beginning of September with an error in ordering – came without the mem seats and the electrochromatic mirrors. Apparently GM called him and said we have a Quicksilver, black interior, Canadian spec car slated for manufacturing available, would you like to take it now or wait. He said I will take it, figuring I would not care about the extra options. I phoned up the dealer who is 3 hours away and said – I can live without the mirrors but I cannot get in and out of the car easily because I have had abdominal surgery twice and am slated to have it a third time next spring. I would like to retrofit the memory seats into the Z06 so that I have the same entry and exit as I had on the 98 roadster. After looking into the matter he called back and said, we will simply get you another car, it is too complicated to retrofit the memory seats. I said what should I do with this car. He – John Hager at Tom Harris Chevrolet in Nanaimo BC - said drive it until we get you the new one and we will charge you the difference for the options when it arrives. OK, says I, and I will pay you the difference when the new car arrives – turned out to be about $800.00 Cdn or about $500.00 US. He kept his word. The 2nd Z06 arrived at the end of January. Due to business travel timelines in February and March, along with the scheduled surgery in April, the car remained fully Zainoed in our underground garage with no miles on it. I figured with the demand for the car being high, may as well let someone else enjoy it, so I sent it to a car broker with 137 miles on the odometer. With the strong US dollar, someone in the US paid a premium to him and the dealer was able to trade me into a 2002 at no difference to me. This is not going to happen regularly, I just happened to get lucky with the amount of demand for the car. With the knowledge that I have gained on this forum and others I decided to sell the car back into the market before the 2002’s hit and the 2001’s were no longer as desirable. So, Thank You, to all of my cyber friends that I have met online over the last year. It is because of the information I have gleaned over the internet that I am proud to be the owner of another truly great car. Hope that explains 3 Z06’s in 11 months along with the fact that there truly are outstanding dealers in the business. I figured I would have to pay delivery charges, extended warranty changeover fees and PDI fees. Nope. Nada. Invoice balance was $0.00. I had horseshoes up my a*s*s.

This is one of those great dealer, lucky customer stories and no I am not related to the guy and no, he did not owe me a favour. I paid full list for the 98, expecting my usual deal and I was choked at the time. Really choked. Paid a difference of $15,000.00 Cdn or $10,000 US on the 98 to 2001 trade up. This is just one of those stories that we all like to read about. I just wanted to make sure it turned out the way he said it would. This guy takes your order over the phone without a deposit and keeps his word. This guy is genuine. I’m glad to do business with this kind of a relationship, it truly is a pleasure.

Hope that explains the whole saga. It’s been an interesting year figuring out what to do – keep the 2001 as a first year cream puff, or get a new driver. She is beautiful and I’m driving her !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts