Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a 160 degree thermostat a while back. A fellow C5 owner told me that this does nothing unless I replace the fan switch too. Is this true?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Joe, that is correct to a point, the 160 stat (much too cold in my opinion) will help while moving, sitting in traffic or stopped the 160 stat will do nothing for your temps because the fans still turn on at 230 degrees (aprox) I have a 178 degree stat with the computer reprogammmed and on a 100 degree day my car will not go abouve 205 degrees no matter how long you sit still, this is because I have the fans being turned on sooner through the computer programming. I would install a 175-180 degree stat, at that point you can either get a Powerloader, Hypertech or your computer reprogrammed, or you can purchase a fan controller from a company like Vinci (they are in Florida) or one of the supporting vendors I am sure sells their product, with a fan controller you can turn the fans on at what temp you want (they are adjustable) I had one on my car until I did the computer reprogramming and it worked great for under $200.00. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
65 Posts
Your friend is basically correct. The T Stat simply opens up @ 160 degrees and won't close until it goes below 160 degrees. These are still mechanical items so there can be + or - 5% error. I did the same as you and then discovered that if I drove to South Carolina and got stuck in traffic I would still see temeratures in the 210 to 225 range. As long as ambient air is 70 degrees and your cruising @ 70 mph it will run in a range of about 178 degrees or mine did. I changed mine to the LS1-LS6 Water Coolant Kit from Nate @ Extreme Motorsports. It will solve the problem and it is a very professional looking set. All plug in, no cutting or splicing. It causes your left fan to come on @ 185 and it basically never goes above 200 even in traffic in 95 degree weather. It is easy to install and even comes with a spare blank plug for the stock unused fan connector in case you ever want to go back stock. I have ran mine 4000 miles now and really like it. Hope this helps. The Powerloader does a similar thing with the fans also. Hope this helps. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
Damn Carl, We sound like echoes!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
245 Posts
Carl and Jim are correct. I have ordered my 172 degree and will be adding the fan. I did not know this until RG @ Exit28motorsports told me this. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts