Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have noticed a two mile per gallon fuel economy loss with my new 160 thermostat? I was told the computer would pick it up but I'm thinking not. The car probably can't run as efficient at a cooler temp. although the power capability is/would be better without the heat soak. I think maufacturers put 190 thermo's in for fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
If you're truley getting more power with the cooler T-Stat, your MPG should be lower. You don't get something for nothing. More power means it's burning more fuel means lower MPG.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Today's motors also need to run hotter to meet emission standards. Simply installing a lower thermostat and running at lower temps is not necessarily good for the motor. The engine needs to run at the operating temperature it was designed for. A lower stat may be needed if the car is tracked and much higher than normal temps are experienced on a regular basis. If your car doesn't see a track on a regular basis a lower stat is not the way to go. Any increase in performance will be negated by lower fuel economy and increased engine wear as the internals are operating at other than optimum temps.

Charlie

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
IMO changing the thermostat to a cooler one will not do much of anything unless your fans are reprogrammed to turn on sooner. :cheers:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts