Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for a track but can still drive on street alignment (since I drive to tracks) Also run Cup tires which don't appear to need as much.

The toe is what concerns me but here are all specs:
Left Right
Front Camber -1.6 -1.5
Front Toe (out) .07 .02
Caster 7.4 7.6

Rear Camber -1.1 -1.0
Rear Toe (in) .04 .12

Is the rear toe in enough??

I wanted 1/8 total out front and 1/5 in in rear.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you want to crank in a little more toe in rear, I would mark your baseline with a permanent marker and then just adjust "longer" at the track...like about a quarter turn each side, to start. Then you can just return to the street settings when done running.

I'm not sure why you would want 1/8" toe out in the front for track use. I, personally, don't even run toe out for autocross, as the cars have good turn in at zero effective toe. Larger amounts of toe out can make the car twitchy at high speeds and can also cause strange weight transfer at the rear corners.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well ended out with just a tad of toe out in the front, I like it just in case I autocross and I also like crisp turn in.

I was worried about such little toe in on the one side in the rear.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Silver Bullet said:
Well ended out with just a tad of toe out in the front, I like it just in case I autocross and I also like crisp turn in.

I was worried about such little toe in on the one side in the rear.
Yep, lots of people like a little toe out in the front, I just don't fall into that category. The only point I was making was that if the alignment shop had given the full 1/8", that you might not be too happy!

As far as the toe adjustment in the rear, you can crank a little more into the side that currently has less toe in, by extending the distance of the tie rod on that side through the adjuster. If you have a long, straight edge, you can lay it on the wheel rim (horizontal to ground) and extend forward to a specific spot on the side of the car (like, a door seam corner), measuring the distance from the edge to the car. Repeat on the other wheel/side and compare measurements. When equal, you should be close to having equal toe on both sides...if you follow what I'm saying. Of course, if you have access to a toe bar, you can use that for the side to side comparison and also to measure total toe.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Alignment machines typically print out in degrees, not inches so I believe your measurements are all in degrees of toe in/out.

Do you have toe plates? They are relatively cheap at about $60 or so and are easy to use at home as a way to check total sum toe. Toe plates can't determine thrust angle though, e.g. if you measure 1/4" toe in for the rear, this may be 1/4" on one side and zero on the other. As a quick and surprisingly accurate check of thrust angle, I just slap a 6 foot aluminum level on the side of each rear tire and sight down it looking forward. It is really easy to tell if one tire is pointed in more than the other this way.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking at everyone else's specs I think ti should work ok for a little trial and error this weekend and see if I like it with minimal toe in in the rear (1/9 total)
Judging by most others that seems to be inbetween the 1/8 and 1/2 everyone else goes with.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Those numbers look pretty decent. I don't run much toe on either the front or back....just a touch out in front and in for the rear. Any more than that and you just scrub speed down the straight. Just a little toe keeps the car nice and stable down the straight. Any more than that is overkill.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts