Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped my car off at the dealer on Monday for the valve train problem. They kept it for a couple of days and told me to pick it up while they order a lifter and a rocker for cylinder five. They couldn't tell exactly which it needed. The next day I got a call back and they said that G.M. had been in contact with them and wanted to put all new rockers, valves, lifters and a cam! This car has 1500 miles on it and to me that sounds rediculous. What is wrong with my car? To me it seems they don't know so they want to change everything. I asked if they had thought of replacing the engine and the dealer said yes but G.M wouldn't go for it. Should I push for a new one? What if there is damage to the cyliders themselves from parts falling through the motor like the needle barings. I want to make sure there is no damage to other parts of the engine. If anyone has any advise I'm all ears. They don't want the car back till next week.

-Todd :puke:

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Sounds like your service rep might be a "parts launcher".......throw parts at it and see if it works. Sad to say though that the art of troubleshooting seems to be practiced by only a select few these days. On the other hand, they might know what they're doing. Ask them what they found. A good mechanic can usually explain the problem in a way that makes sense even to the mechanically challenged. If something doesn't sound right, get a second opinion.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
ToddZ06,

Todd,
Im go with vetttheripper here this does not only notsound right if the trbl is indeed in the valvetrain WHY is he still having you drive it ???????
JMHO:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
If it is something that needs to be addressed and they are considering doing all of that parts replacement, maybe you should suggest to the tech to simply "blow" the engine and get a new one. The dealer/service center is going to take a beating on the warranty payment anyway. It would be less costly and less work for him to just "blow" the engine and get a new one installed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sounds like a typical Chevrolet bullshit way of doing business. I love Corvettes (have had 4 since 1994, with a z06 on the way) but have always had problems with Chevrolet. Chevy does not deserve the Vette, they treat it the same as a dam Cavalier. Todd dont let them jerk you around, chevy is always going to go the cheepest way and not what is best for you. I would not want my motor taken apart...........who knows how it will run and for how long. Maybe they should throw in a GMPP (extended waranty) to 100k miles. Get all you can get because they will only give you what they have to.

good luck, Mac

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Todd

Make SURE you get a detailed REPORT on WHAT is wrong, and WHY the parts are being replaced.
IF possible, I would want to see the PARTS they are taking OFF, and get a visual..........
Also, IF they do this, take a look at your bores.........
And, IF they are going THIS deep..........you may as well get them to do the '02 ring change out.............I WOULD INSIST.:roll:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Thats is a bummer.

You also may want to make sure they have a qualified mechanic to work on it, my Dad owns a shop and I have seen many mechanics come and go, some that have worked in dealers, just because they have the latest certification does not mean squat.

I would ask for some type of referral on who will be working on it and how many Z06's they have worked on! :bs:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I'd say OK, No Problem......

If.... and only if, they put in the '02 cam,l ifters, valves and springs!!!!!

Upgrade under warranty....a no brainer!!!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Z. I had the motor replaced in my car at 15000 miles. When they pulled the oil pan there were "large chunks" of metal in the oil. Needless to say a repair of the motor was not acceptable to me. I didn't have to fight that hard and wound up with a new motor and an exended warranty on the powertrain, 60/75. Your car only has 1500 miles.....I would certainly push for a new motor. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Something doesn't sound right??? If this was a serious problem why did they let you continue to drive it???

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Bliss

Just be glad you didn't put a Spinner Knob on the wheel..........you then would be classified as NASCAR.............
Do Baby Moons count??.
Bottom line, you have caused them loss of revenue, time, and a considerable amount of embarassment.......
For which, they ( THE GM gods), have decided you will pay..................
I see you as being a test case, an example to those who may want to follow you with similar concerns.......
You know where I stand on the issue..................:roll:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can you swap '01 and '02 engine parts?

Thanks for the imput guys. If I demand for those '02 parts that apear to be more realiable are they compatable with the '01 engine? And also, has any one used the G.M. hotline number to try to get beter results when working with the dealerships. They told me I could call and try to work the problem out myself. What a mess!

Thanks again
-Todd

·
Registered
33 Posts
bliss

I think they are f....ing jerk offs for doing that. I would go after them hard since the line lock is there because you show the car, along with the other aftermarket stuff. They should have to prove you raced the car and that the line lock caused damage to the motor. dont just lay down go after them, and let them know you wont stop. good luck Mac

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
GM says no way!!!!

Not only will G.M. will not replace the engine in my car but the won't even change the rings while they are at it. They said there is no recall on 01 rings. They also won't put knew 02 parts in there either. After they fix the engine they said if it breaks again then they will start talking about a new engine. Has anyone delt with anyone at G.M. that may be more helpful with getting my car fixed. Maybe if I had a name it would help get things done right or even the name of a dealer that is good with z's. Thanks for all the help.

-Todd :cheers: :guiness:

·
Registered
32 Posts
They will always try to get away as cheap as possible. That's profit, however, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!
Bob

1 - 20 of 33 Posts