Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to scream around for a 150 miles today.........:D :D

Question for you RACER's.............DRAG.........

When I light em' up........and go into the 2nd gear..........I hear a Very AUDIBLE THUMP..............

It feels like the butt end is slamming down on ( if it has such a thing) body stops??.

Is this a brain flatulence occurence for me, or is this what is really causing the phenomena??????:-?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Sounds like the bump stops hitting the underside of the car to keep the axle somewhat planted to the ground? Any ideas?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sounds like you could be hitting the jounce bumper. A piece of plumbers pipe thread tape on the top of the jounce will tell you. It's hard to believe that, with the increased tension springs, you could be doling so though. Is it every time or was it once?

·
Registered
764 Posts
N4C5S said:
Can you record it for us?

JC
Always has to be one in the crowd. :roll:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rear Slamming

Fan1, :lol: :lol: , Sory, I don't have a recorder that would work.....

GlenBo, you cussin' again??:lol: ........What IS a Jounce bumper??.....When I hit second FAST @ 6600, or close.........the dude DO want to squat......WHAT IS a Jounce bumper??.
As far as # of times, only a few, as I do not get a chance at running it to rev limiter through 3-4 very often......

To be honest, it sounds like the UNDERSIDE of the chassis is getting (bottoming) out when I go from [email protected] these rpm's.......

Some of you drag racers, have you had similar experiences??.....
This always happens on a GREAT fresh asphalt road surface, dry, with max traction conditions......NO rear wheel break loose present.....

QUESTION for GlenBo, WHY would this seem to NOT be possible??.....that is a LOT of torque...........

Z06 02......No, the car has not been altered in any way...................

Thanks for the replies..........MAN I LOVE this site!!!!!!!!!!

I know, I know, I CAN'T have your Budweiser's:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Wheel hop or do they stay firmly planted?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wheel hop or firmly

Planted...........no hop........solid traction...................sounds like the OLD driveshaft "THUMP", on the muscle cars of yesteryear.......Exactly the same sound.........1-2 [email protected] max rpm..........

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Jounce bumpers, also referred to as bump stops, keep the suspension from compressing too far and breaking stuff. Once you're on the bump stops, your car is essentially a "hard tail". This condition is rarely longer than a momentary bump against the stop. I would question the condition of your shocks though....You shouldn't be hitting the stops unless you hit a pot hole or other large bump. Shifting under hard acceleration should not cause this.

An interesting note: Read some research a few years back that said most shocks are rendered worthless within 20k miles. I have verified this on my 4x4. About every 2 years I find at least 1 shock that is fried....and my truck spends 99% of its life on the street.:eek:

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Re: Vette

ZO6LS6 said:
3500 MILES........................doubt it's shocks.................??
Agree, 3500 miles shouldn't be a problem for a set of shocks, but I have personally seen a SkyJacker 4x4 gas pressurized shock go completely limp in under 2 years and for all I know it went limp in under a year. This was a seriously heavy duty shock that had a lifetime warranty and was only driven on the street. The shocks would be the first thing I'd check. If in fact it is hitting the stops hard enough to make a thump....the shocks are the only thing in the system to cushion this and they're not doing it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts