Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to purchase a complete T1 suspension kit. I would like you racers to help me understand how complex and how costly it will be to install the kit. I am not mechanically inclined and will have to pay someone to install everything. The kit includes sway bars, springs, and the control arms. Assume labor will cost $65 per hour.

Should I also install a bump steer kit (I don't even understand what bump steer is)?

I would also want to return the car to stock sometime.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Bob:
We have it, and recommend it (dedicated One Lap of America/DE car, NOT a daily driver), but to get a truly objective opinion, send a Private Message to DJWorm, here. He's a Moderator, and THOROUGHLY versed in "things-suspensioned". Any other insight, please shout me back...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Our car has been in T1 and is now doing ITE in SCCA. We have been using the T1 kit along with the shochs and the handling has been great. I'm truly not sure why I have just gotten rid of the T1 kit and gone to Coilovers. I thing I'm looking to pick up that 1/2 second somewhere .....don't really know, just hoping we don't go into the R&D thing. But in any case the T1 kit has been very well put together by GM Racing. I can't think of any T1 cars out there not using it. The parts are not difficult to install nor does it take that long. The car will need to be aligned after all is completed.
Tony #54

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Bob,
This is a huge swag, but I'm guessing I could swap those parts out in about five hours, not counting the alignment. It really isn't that hard.

Bump steer kits aren't allowing in SCCA T1 so I am no familiarity with them. However, I haven't read much about them either, so they don't seem to be that common. :cheers:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. The labor hours seem reasonable (and affordable). My car is not a daily driver, but I do drive it on the streets. Will I be OK on the street with a T1 suspension?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Bob said:
Thanks for the advice. The labor hours seem reasonable (and affordable). My car is not a daily driver, but I do drive it on the streets. Will I be OK on the street with a T1 suspension?
Depends on your tolerance for stiffness. I don't mind it at all.

My only negative comment is the metal to metal endlinks on the sway bars are not quiet. Many guys who use T1 sways on the street use aftermarket endlinks that aren't metal to metal. I believe DJWORM knows where to get these. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Bob:
Didn't mean to imply we NEVER see the streets/roads of America...5000 miles in a week is pretty much our LIMIT... :yeadog:

·
Banned
809 Posts
You should probably be all right considering that you're in Virginia with smooth roads.

Definitely beware of the parts that make noise though, as Subdriver mentioned, and replace them with suitable replacements that could be used on the track, yet still make the car enjoyable on the street. I hate it when my street car's suspension and drivetrain (solid engine mounts, etc..) makes noise on the street.

Do you T1 guys get any bump steer with the T1 suspension? It might be worth looking into if this is a phenomenon with the T1 set up.

Sal

·
Registered
344 Posts
The bump steer kit is a big heim joint tierod end and a mounting stud that allows the mounting height of the ball to be varied up and down the stud by swapping the location of spacers. This is more important as the car is lowered.

I can say that the car does seem to have more immunity to direction change on a bumpy road, but I have no idea how much is the kit vs better alignment.

I ended up with this kit on my car when Phoenix did the cage mod, and I have no other suspension mods except for T-1 endlinks F&R.

Looks like a really beefy part, and I think I'm going to do the same out back. However it's an unsealed component and will need perodic lube.

After the first drive in heavy rain my enlinks started to squeak, a good dousing with Dupont 3-D Teflon dry film lube (Lowes) no squeaks in 500 miles including wet.

Be shure to wrap the joint being sprayed with several layers of paper towel and stick the shutz tube against the ball on the top side and wrap it tight. you do not want to get this stuff on your rotors.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Subdriver said:

My only negative comment is the metal to metal endlinks on the sway bars are not quiet. Many guys who use T1 sways on the street use aftermarket endlinks that aren't metal to metal. I believe DJWORM knows where to get these. :cheers:
Don:

Are you out there? Can you give me some advice? I am supposed to but the kit today!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Paging DJWORM

Subdriver said:

Don:

Can you please give me some advice on this. I am supposed to buy the kit today.

·
Banned
809 Posts
Bob said:
Don:

Can you please give me some advice on this. I am supposed to buy the kit today.
Did you try to email or PM him? Here's his info page.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/member.php?userid=449

Do you need advice on the end links or if you should buy the kit? If the kit is a good price and you know you want it, you can buy it and then add the appropriate end links or bushings later when you go to install it.

Also.. You have a PM from me.

Sal

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
salvador said:
Did you try to email or PM him? Here's his info page.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/member.php?userid=449

Do you need advice on the end links or if you should buy the kit? If the kit is a good price and you know you want it, you can buy it and then add the appropriate end links or bushings later when you go to install it.

Also.. You have a PM from me.

Sal
Sal:

I did send Don a PM. I was interested in DJWorms advice in general, and specifically on the end links. I do not race, but I attend about 4-5 DEs a year. I was originally only considering T1 bars, but I have obtained a good price on the T1 kit, which is motivating me to consider buying it. I just want to be sure that it won't cost be big $$ to install, and that the car won't be unbearable on the street.

·
Registered
350 Posts
If you don't plan to race it, then just buy the T1 sway bars and leave everything else alone.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wtknght1 said:
If you don't plan to race it, then just buy the T1 sway bars and leave everything else alone.
I have decided to go with the T1 sway bars only for now. In addition, I am wondering whether I should do Poly bushings or keep the stock rubber bushings.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Bob,
I don't remember the cost off the top of my head, but when I had a local dealership install my springs, swaybars, and shocks it wasn't outrageous. I'll hunt for the receipt tonight.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Bob said:
I have decided to go with the T1 sway bars only for now. In addition, I am wondering whether I should do Poly bushings or keep the stock rubber bushings.
The T1 bars come with harder rubber bushings, I use them on mine.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts