Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading so many posts about using Durastop ceramic brake pads to eliminate brake dust, I finally got around to installing mine. The job itself was super easy, with the longest part being washing the wheels before remounting them.

Anyway, I took the car for a short drive then returned home to check the lug nuts. First thing I noticed was that my wheels still looked absolutely clean. Hmmmmm, interesting.

After every nut checked good to go, I set out for a longer road trip so that I could break in the new pads. My trip ended up being about 50 miles which normally would have meant very dusty wheels. However, not this time. The wheels still looked amazingly clean. Yet, there is a compromise.

Although the brake dust is gone so is the bite and stopping power I had with the OEM pads. :(

So here is my recommendation to any of you caring to do this. If having clean wheels is more important to you than the awesome stopping power the Z06 is known for, then by all means do it. If however you don't want to compromise that braking ability then keep the OEMs or buy something equal to or even more aggressive.

I'll keep them on for now, but once I finish my cam and longtube mods, I'll replace them with OEMs or a suitable equivalent. I can live with cleaning my wheels more often.

-RR

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Interesting review. You are the only one I've ever heard that says they can really tell the difference. I didn't notice any difference at all. Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
You need to bed your new pads to the rotors and you will see an improvement in stopping. The OEM pads suck...besides the dust, they squeek and don't stop much better than the ceramic pads. When I want to do some serious braking...I go to my Carbotech XP8/XP9 's for some real stopping power. :thumb:

Bob :D

·
Registered
882 Posts
Changed to Ceramic along with rotors and broke them in slowly. Didn't notice anything different between the rusty, dirty, squeaky original pads verses the quiet, clean and functional Ceramics. :eyes:

·
Registered
203 Posts
I noticed a huge difference between the stock pads and the GM ceramics. The stock pads stop WAY better than the ceramics. Try doing an HPDE with the ceramics and see how far into the first session you get before you have to pull off because of brake fade. :puke:

For excellent street and moderate HPDE stopping power - stock pads

For average street stopping power without having to clean the wheels every 50 miles - Ceramics.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
I wouldn't trade my ceramics for stock pads for street driving at all. No dust, no squealing, very little difference in stopping for street use, a no brainer IMO.

Jack

·
Registered
882 Posts
rhinoevans said:
reproman...which pads did you get? Was it necessary to also change the rotors?
The pads are GM. Got a great price on all 4. :yeadog:

Like most or maybe just me, the time consuming issue working on the Z is raising it up. So when it's up, I do as much as possible. Rotors are relatively cheap. Plus I got zinc plated ones that did away with the rust/glazing issues. :coo:

In local traffic, the ceramics do great. I had two panic stops today (guy stopped in a 55 mph zone and made a hard left exit from the middle lane and a lady turns into my traffic lane and "parks" her car instead of merging at 45 mph). :flaming:

I'll post pics of the original rotors/pad so you can see the difference. :)

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
405HP_Z06 said:
I noticed a huge difference between the stock pads and the GM ceramics. The stock pads stop WAY better than the ceramics. Try doing an HPDE with the ceramics and see how far into the first session you get before you have to pull off because of brake fade. :puke:

For excellent street and moderate HPDE stopping power - stock pads

For average street stopping power without having to clean the wheels every 50 miles - Ceramics.
You don't do HPDE's with ceramic pads.......and shouldn't use OEM stock pads either. :NoNo:

Bob :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts